10 years of GOG

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Compared to past sales it is very lackluster. The bundle deal for that new knight game is pretty good though.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Indeed, ten years already. I bought 34 games there so far, very happy with them (some of them I genuinely wouldn't find in good retail condition, or would have the box or manuals missing, and the price would still be exaggerated). Once my backlog of unfinished games (and still unplayed or even not installed yet) is dealt with I'll definitely buy the first Soldier of Fortune (had it on my PS2, very fun game).

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I'm a little down on GoG at the moment.

I dot the sudden desire to play through Settlers 3 again. I have the original disc + expansion but I didn't feel like looking for them so I ordered the game through GoG. Turns out the GoG version does not include the background music.

I tried to refund the game immediately (within 1 hour) and GoG evidently decided not to accept the refund request. I sent another but no luck the second time either. Haven't heard anything at all from them.

It's annoying enough that I probably won't order from them again.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
$25 10th Anniversary Collection III: Kingdom Come Deliverance + Shadow Tactics + Battle Chaser.
This is excellent value overall if you don't already own these games. $25 is the lowest I've seen for KC:D alone. ST has generally great reviews. BC is the filler I suppose. This is too hard for me to pass.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm a little down on GoG at the moment.

I dot the sudden desire to play through Settlers 3 again. I have the original disc + expansion but I didn't feel like looking for them so I ordered the game through GoG. Turns out the GoG version does not include the background music.

I tried to refund the game immediately (within 1 hour) and GoG evidently decided not to accept the refund request. I sent another but no luck the second time either. Haven't heard anything at all from them.

It's annoying enough that I probably won't order from them again.

Well, the return policy on gog is that they don't refund just because you want one like Steam - they only refund if they game won't work, after they try to get it working.

So, that might be a reason for you not to buy there.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Voted for that, even though I already have it... I have them all but that was the most fun.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Ah very cool, it's the one I voted for (didn't have it). I'll give it a go in a couple of hours.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I've been on gog.com since nearly day 1. They've improved and Steam has devolved to the point where I now prefer my purchases from GoG whenever possible. It doesn't stop me from getting bundles, but all possible individual purchases go to GoG for me.

They've certainly come a long way from their early days.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I've been on gog.com since nearly day 1. They've improved and Steam has devolved to the point where I now prefer my purchases from GoG whenever possible. It doesn't stop me from getting bundles, but all possible individual purchases go to GoG for me.

DRM-free is probably the biggest draw above all else for GoG. It's just tough to keep track of so many different etailer sites, and I think Steam still has the biggest catalog by far.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I have a bias for gog, but some games seem to have issues from Steam having better DLC sales to gog having slower/unreliable patching. I'm making the choice now where to get Pillars of Eternity II and the feedback is to go Steam.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
I have a bias for gog, but some games seem to have issues from Steam having better DLC sales to gog having slower/unreliable patching. I'm making the choice now where to get Pillars of Eternity II and the feedback is to go Steam.
I definitely buy GOG whenever there's the option. I like to support them anyway simply due to having the right attitude, ie, unlike every other distributor, their User Agreement says yes you really do actually own your games offline installers (and will continue to do so even if GOG went out of business). It's true they're a little slower at patching new rapidly changing games, but that's an area where they're improving (and is a non-issue for older / stable / "finished" games). It used to be the case that devs had to manually send in each updated version for GOG to publish but they've recently updated their tools to allow devs to auto-push updates to Galaxy themselves. There's still a delay between a new update being auto-pushed to Galaxy and a manual offline installer being created from that update (which only GOG can do), but that's an acceptable trade-off for many of us for the huge long-term advantage of having a collection of DRM-Free offline installers locally backed up that are completely immune to service outages or even the distributor / DRM provider (Denuvo, etc) ever pulling the plug on online authentication server's. Likewise, lack of online MP is a non-issue for most SP games. Obviously Steam is the better store for multi-player games, but after seeing one DRM (Securom / Starforce / Tages) after another (GFWL) get abandoned and start failing over the years, as someone who regularly replays Golden Oldies I wouldn't trade my NAS full of +500 DRM-Free installers for anything, and for me GOG are by far the best thing to happen to PC gaming in many years. :)

Last edited: