10 minute presentation to give

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I've got to give a 10 minute presentation (verbal only, no powerpoint etc available).
Any guesses how many words it might need to be?
Some places have said ~100~150 wpm speaking, so I was looking at 1250 words or so, but I'm not sure (and I know I can find out by reading through it, but it's always good to have an idea before you start how long something is supposed to be!)

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
read something outloud and time yourself. Figure out the wpm from there. Then double it for a public speech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I've never considered the number of words when giving a presentation. I just write down everything I need to cover, practice it, then either add or subtract stuff until I am at around 1.4 times the time I need to fill.

KT

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Are you completely scared of presentations? If you are good at talking, you can stretch or contract any material by 50% of it's length just by adding more 'padding talk' or extending Q&A.

The best way to properly time a presentation is just actual do a run alone as if you're doing it in front of people. Time it and see how you fare. Review and adjust (add/subtract) material to zero in.

Blindly 'counting words' for a presentation is a very bad way to assessing it. This isn't an essay with the word count & page relationship.