10 Million$ or the Nobel?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: BradT
I would choose the Nobel Prize regardless, but doesn't it come with a million dollars?

Anyone who picks the 100 million is an idiot.

Well in that case...

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I voted nobel prize because I would be very interested in the opportunities open up to me in the field of science with a nobel prize. You can have access to things and experience things worth far more than any money can buy. It's the toys of the elite brainiacs.

example

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I would choose the Nobel Prize regardless, but doesn't it come with a million dollars?

You're going to be a virgin for a long long time.

Dimmu

Jun 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Saint Michael
Originally posted by: Greenman
Didn't Al Gore get a Nobel prize for flying around in his private jet telling us we need to reduce carbon emissions? Nobel prize isn't looking all that special to me, I'll take the cash.

The thing it what you think about the Nobel isn't important. It's what everybody else thinks about it. Futurama:

Calculon: "The Oscar isn't about acting, it's about gaining the respect of the acting community."

Harold Zoid: "What if we rig the awards"?

Calculon: "That's fine too."

Bahaha. Just watched that episode. Oh, and I'd take the 100mil. Isn't that the only realistic option? :confused:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
$100 million. Someone else can have some Glory. I know that I aint smart enough to actually deserve one anyways.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Greenman
Al Gore received the Nobel prize. I can't say that without chuckling.

He won the Nobel PEACE Prize for his work on global warming. Global warming... peace... global warming... peace... global warming... peace... Regardless of feelings on global warming, I just don't get it.

Nor I. What he did was run an add campaign.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Easy, the Nobel. People will actually remember me years from now, plus you guys act like the prize doesn't lead to more $ ;) I'll be funded in my research for my sake and god knows how many people after me.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
This is a really dumb question.

If you're smart enough to win the Nobel prize, then you probably already make good money. Choosing the Nobel prize would just be another accomplishment, and could be considered a smart choice.

If you're not smart enough to win the Nobel prize, then choosing the money is probably the safe bet for you.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

Actually they're not idiots for choosing the money. They might not be geniuses, but they're making a wise choice by taking the money.

A person who can win the Nobel prize is already very intelligent. Making money probably isn't a problem for them.

An idiot probably doesn't have much money making ability, and giving them a Nobel prize is like giving a monkey a computer. It would serve them no purpose. But they could always use the money.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Rockinacoustic
Easy, the Nobel. People will actually remember me years from now, plus you guys act like the prize doesn't lead to more $ ;) I'll be funded in my research for my sake and god knows how many people after me.

It's in the question, only one choice in your life. No Nobel then make your millions.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Originally posted by: yamadakun
Originally posted by: Rockinacoustic

It's in the question, only one choice in your life. No Nobel then make your millions.

Still the Nobel then. Anyone can be a millionaire. Not the same for the Nobel Prize.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Nobel prizes in the sciences are still very hard to get, in spite of how much Al Gore winning the peace prize has cheapened it.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I already make billions every day like every other ATers, so i'd just donate 'em both to charity.

>_>

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
A Nobel Prize in System Administration... that will be the day :)

I'll take the $100 million, thanks!

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Originally posted by: sutahz
Name one nobel prize winner (more specific, name one nobel prize winner thats not a "peace prize" winner).
Was Oprah nominated for a nobel? F that.
The POLL still says 100M, FYI.
Off the top of my head, peace prize winners were:
Martin Luther King Jr
Mother Teresa
Jimmy Carter
Teddy Roosevelt
Woodrow Wilson
Gorbachev
Nelson Mandela

Some scientists:
Bertrand Russell
Nash
Feynman
Einstein
Heisenberg
Planck
Bohr (I think his son won it too)
Fermi
Curie
Pavlov

Some writers:
TS Elliot
Faulkner
Kipling
Yeats

Recognize any of those names? You should.