10 days uptime good?

sman789

Banned
May 6, 2003
Had the computer in sig running for 10 days straight...OCed cpu and VPU...used the pc for encoding and gaming, watching tv, music, homework....constant winamp visualzations on

Gotta stop the run because of spring break:(

txxxx

Golden Member
Feb 13, 2003
Sounds ok, I take it you have ran programs such as Prime95 to check if CPU is totally stable at that overclock?

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
uptime isn't a great indicator of system stable-ness. As txxxx said, Prime95 is the way to go.

umy current machine is on 11 days, 11 hours, 14 minutes uptime. But it also passed 24+ hours of Prime95.

Special1Sauce

Jan 26, 2004
My computer has been restarted once in the past 13 days. I am running nothing but F@H for Anand Tech!

thorin

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I haven't restarted my home computer in over a month and a half (that'd be "Thorin's Domain" linked in my sig). It's always running UD. Plus I always have DLs going and WinAmp is always playing or sitting paused. Plus I play War3 TFT and UT2k4 every night. I think my best uptime on that box was 3.5 months, and it was only restarted as part of a driver update not because I was having problems with it. I never have any reason to reboot.

I use Samurize to display my memory usage on my desktop and it's pretty constant, if it was dropping I'd be worried about memory fragmentation.

Of course even my home sys' 3.5mo record is nothing compared to the Solaris boxes I use at work which have uptime's measured in years. Or the QNX boxes at my friend's work place which have uptimes of 5yrs +, or their client's boxes which have uptimes like 10 and 12 yrs (QNX is a RT OS used in control systems for medical equiptment, the shuttle, nuclear reactors, etc....)

Thorin

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
heh comeon man...spring break shouldn't stop you unless they make you turn it off for power reasons.....i left mine on to test the wonders of remote desktop :)
probably pushing 2 weeks now (i run a webserver off it..its always on)

-Vivan

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I have to turn mine off at night =( the GF makes me cause its in our bed room... I can't wait to get rid of my loud a$$ vantech Stealth PSU... Even on low speed that thing sounds like a Delta.

sman789

Banned
May 6, 2003
they make us turn it off:(
of course i've stress tested it when i first built the system last summer
i'm just so proud of it now:D

Derango

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
13:43:19 up 129 days, 16:53, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00

Its my server...but still :)

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Thorin, do you have a screenshot of your Samurize setup? The screenshot section of samurize.com is currently down. I'm currently using SysMetrix to monitor my local box and CoolMon to monitor my networked boxes.

I had 65 days on my backup server when I had to power it down to remove my UPS. :( My desktop rarely makes it past a week due to driver updates, windows update or other software installs that require reboots.

thorin

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: beatle
Thorin, do you have a screenshot of your Samurize setup? The screenshot section of samurize.com is currently down. I'm currently using SysMetrix to monitor my local box and CoolMon to monitor my networked boxes.

I had 65 days on my backup server when I had to power it down to remove my UPS. :( My desktop rarely makes it past a week due to driver updates, windows update or other software installs that require reboots.
I can send you one from my simple little laptop (work config) or one from my home sys when I get there....

Edit: The config I run on my work laptop is now here (it's really simple):
http://www.geocities.com/thorin.geo/sam/

(I'll upload a screenie of my home config when I get home, it's not much more complicated.....I like simplicity)

BTW: I'm also known as Thorin on the Sam forums.......

Thorin

mloiterman

Mar 13, 2001
Realistically your Windows system MUST be rebooted every so often. You are applying all the security patches...right? ;)

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
This is true for Windows, *nix is a bit different. The only acceptable reason to have to reboot a *nix system is a new kernel.

Originally posted by: Derango13:43:19 up 129 days, 16:53, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00

Its my server...but still :)
This is (gentoo) Linux box. While it may be possible to have a Windows machine up that long, you would certainly be behind on Critical Updates.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
10 days uptime good?
Not really.

1) What you've been doing doesn't guarantee it's truly stable. Run the CPU at 100% for half a day before you make that determination.
2) My XP box is rebooted much less often than that, including when I'm doing lots of work on it.
3) Even my laptop is rebooted much less often than that, and I use it all the time. (My laptop is OS X unix though.)

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Sounds ok to me... best uptime with winxp for me was 40 days, not with the current machine though... I have still been installing new programs, and those damn windows updates keep wanting reboots lol.

Jojo7

May 5, 2003
Time to rant.

I don't get these people that say "I haven't rebooted my computer in xxx days". To them I ask, "Why not?". It's not like it's a chore or something that involves alot of thought. Are you that much of a masochist that you like your computer to get increasingly slower every day you have it on?

I'm sorry. I just don't get it.

P.S.- I realize the original poster was stating his uptime in regards of system stability and that's fine. I wasn't directing my rant at him specifically.

txxxx

Golden Member
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Jojo7
Time to rant.

I don't get these people that say "I haven't rebooted my computer in xxx days". To them I ask, "Why not?". It's not like it's a chore or something that involves alot of thought. Are you that much of a masochist that you like your computer to get increasingly slower every day you have it on?

P.S.- I realize the original poster was stating his uptime in regards of system stability and that's fine. I wasn't directing my rant at him specifically.

Its all about the E-Penis ....

EeyoreX

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2002
Time to rant.

Time to counter-rant.

I don't get why you need to shut your computer down. It's not like it involves any thought or is a chore or something. If your computer gets "increasing slower every day" your computer has problems. My computer gets turned off/rebooted when it needs to be (ie, updates, hardware installs, etc). My file server is currently at about 25 days without a reboot. And it isn't slower than day one. If you want to turn your computer off and think it affects your speed you either a) have a 9x based OS running, b) have a poorly configured computer, c) run a lot of retarded or badly coded software, or d) any combination, or all of, the previous.

\Dan

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Time to rant.

Yes it is because its a chore... you have to restart all those programs when you reboot. :p and if it doesn't need to be rebooted then why bother? If mine starts running slower then I will reboot. But I have had 40 days uptime with no reboots and it doesn't go that much slower, that was just a test though.

thorin

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Time to rant.

"Why not" because my system didn't require it. Why would I reboot it if I wasn't experiencing any change in performance and my memory wasn't becoming fragmented. The need to reboot a system regularily because it's getting slower by the day indicates that something is malfunctioning or misconfigured.

Beatle http://www.geocities.com/thorin.geo/sam/ now also contains a scrnshot for my home config (it isn't very much different from my work config, just a few small added features). If you're just looking for ideas check these:
http://www.geocities.com/thirddecay/
http://myhtpc.net/plugins/index.php?showthis=5257
http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/865505

Thorin

thorin

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: EeyoreX
Time to rant.

Time to counter-rant.

I don't get why you need to shut your computer down. It's not like it involves any thought or is a chore or something. If your computer gets "increasing slower every day" your computer has problems. My computer gets turned off/rebooted when it needs to be (ie, updates, hardware installs, etc). My file server is currently at about 25 days without a reboot. And it isn't slower than day one. If you want to turn your computer off and think it affects your speed you either a) have a 9x based OS running, b) have a poorly configured computer, c) run a lot of retarded or badly coded software, or d) any combination, or all of, the previous.

\Dan
Well said!

Thorin

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
To respond to the original question...

10 days uptime is great if you are using your system to it's max! If you are running a server or other Linux application it's not that big of a deal, so those Linux dudes need to get over it... it's easy to have a system run forever when it's hardly used. :p

But for an overclocked gaming system this is great! :D