$10.7 million for a 2 hour wait for a brain scan

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Originally posted by: winnar111
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200..._us/brain_scan_delayed

NEW YORK - A jury has awarded nearly $11 million to a woman who became partially paralyzed after waiting two hours for a hospital brain scan.

Jurors found New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens was negligent in caring for Candida Diego after she fractured her skull in a fall in September 2004.

A spokeswoman says the hospital doesn't believe it is liable for the 71-year-old's condition and is appealing the Oct. 3 decision awarding her $10.7 million.

Court documents say Diego was cleared for a brain scan two hours before she got one. The test was intended to check for bleeding.

Court papers say Diego lapsed into a coma in the emergency room less than an hour after the scan. She now has no movement in her left side and uses a wheelchair.

So that's healthcare for about 11000 kids for a year. 2 hours is considered a short delay when dealing with issues like heart attacks; wonder how much more of this will happen with 'universal' health care.

Exxon mobil doesn't even make $5 million an hour.

I didn't know you were a doctor. Additionally, Exxon-Mobile doesn't get paralyzed and have to use a wheel chair after the negligence of a hospital.

And under current health insurance system, you'd have to call your HMO while you're experiencing a bleed into your brain to determine if the MRI is medically warranted to isolate the bleeding.
I didn't know you were an ER Doctor AND/OR a HMO Plan Administrator!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Originally posted by: winnar111
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200..._us/brain_scan_delayed

NEW YORK - A jury has awarded nearly $11 million to a woman who became partially paralyzed after waiting two hours for a hospital brain scan.

Jurors found New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens was negligent in caring for Candida Diego after she fractured her skull in a fall in September 2004.

A spokeswoman says the hospital doesn't believe it is liable for the 71-year-old's condition and is appealing the Oct. 3 decision awarding her $10.7 million.

Court documents say Diego was cleared for a brain scan two hours before she got one. The test was intended to check for bleeding.

Court papers say Diego lapsed into a coma in the emergency room less than an hour after the scan. She now has no movement in her left side and uses a wheelchair.

So that's healthcare for about 11000 kids for a year. 2 hours is considered a short delay when dealing with issues like heart attacks; wonder how much more of this will happen with 'universal' health care.

Exxon mobil doesn't even make $5 million an hour.

I didn't know you were a doctor. Additionally, Exxon-Mobile doesn't get paralyzed and have to use a wheel chair after the negligence of a hospital.

And under current health insurance system, you'd have to call your HMO while you're experiencing a bleed into your brain to determine if the MRI is medically warranted to isolate the bleeding.
I didn't know you were an ER Doctor AND/OR a HMO Plan Administrator!

We all, apparently wear many hats when discussing these issues. I, for example, have many ideas for how to fix healthcare in this country. And, I don't even get paid for producing them. (I should though...)

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: chess9

What's wrong with making $80K a year? What is that, chump change? And do they have medical school bills to pay for? They also get free health care. :)

-Robert

Yes, considering (among other things) the amount of schooling that you have to go through to become a doctor, $80K a year is chump change.

It is here, but in FRANCE, where they make that amount of money, one can live comfortably. He was talking about FRANCE. Kapish?

But for the bloody cost of medical school here, most doctors could do fine on $80k a year. As it is, if they aren't making $500K they think they are food stamps. ;)

-Robert

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: chess9

What's wrong with making $80K a year? What is that, chump change? And do they have medical school bills to pay for? They also get free health care. :)

-Robert

Yes, considering (among other things) the amount of schooling that you have to go through to become a doctor, $80K a year is chump change.

Yep, especially when you consider they may have $100K+ in student loans and have to pay a hefty fee for malpractice insurance. :)

My comment was in reference to a FRENCH doctor, not an American doctor. American docs have the high cost of their Mercedes payments, what with the exchange rate. ;)

-Robert