10-17 Midwest Severe Weather outbreak - 40 injured at Tulsa Octoberfest as Tent is blown over with 60 mph winds

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
10-17 Midwest Severe Weather outbreak - 40 injured at Tulsa Octoberfest as Tent is blown over with 60 mph winds

Thousands without power, mobile homes destroyed as usual

10-17-2007 Tent Collapse At Oktoberfest

KOTV - 10/17/2007 7:57 PM - Updated 10/17/2007 8:18 PM
Severe weather takes a toll on northeast Oklahoma Wednesday night. Tornado and thunderstorm warnings have been issued for various Oklahoma counties. There are estimates that as many as 40 people are being treated for injuries after a tent collapse Wednesday night at Tulsa's Oktoberfest.

In Owasso, there are reports that the 911 system is being taxed. Residents are asked to only call 911 if it is an emergency situation.

High winds have downed trees and powerlines. PSO crews have been dealing with thousands of power outages across the Tulsa metro area.

There are reports of a possible tornado touchdown in Washington County.

Tulsa National Weather Service

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
They are saying now that it was possibly a small brief tornado that hit the West Bank area where Oktoberfest is held.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Yeah...went through here earlier...wind was nuts. First out of the South, then suddenly switched to blowing out of the East, then back to the South, then again to the east. Wash, rinse and repeat for about 10 minutes. Treetops were twisting in the wind and I thought we were going to lose about a 40ft tall pine tree.

Lost power for about an hour.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Yeah...went through here earlier...wind was nuts. First out of the South, then suddenly switched to blowing out of the East, then back to the South, then again to the east. Wash, rinse and repeat for about 10 minutes. Treetops were twisting in the wind and I thought we were going to lose about a 40ft tall pine tree.

Lost power for about an hour.

Power is still flickering here driving my UPS nuts.

I have two different Internet connections (one is 900 MHZ wireless to Water tower 8 miles away, the other is cable) and at height of the storm both were down.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Back to the injuries at Oktoberfest

20 people taken to the hospital. 1 with "life threatening injuries".

A couple of dozen more sustained injuries that were not serious enough to require transport to the hospital.

As a bonus one of the chicks on TV being interviewed about it right now is someone I dated for a while.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
When are they going to finally wise up and build mobile homes that are pre-destroyed?

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Damn, not over yet.

Tornado in Cherokee county.

Storms are moving more east than north now than earlier.

Not a lot of people in that area really. Still pretty back country over there. Beautiful place to go hiking and canoeing. If you haven't been yet since you moved here I highly suggest you do.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Damn, not over yet.

Tornado in Cherokee county.

Storms are moving more east than north now than earlier.

Not a lot of people in that area really. Still pretty back country over there. Beautiful place to go hiking and canoeing. If you haven't been yet since you moved here I highly suggest you do.

Near Natural Falls?

Have driven by but haven't stopped yet.

Tractor trailers got blown over on 412 Turnpike heading towards Siloam Springs.

70+ mph winds

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
had to pull over in an underpass in downtown during the storm, there were about 9 other cars there with us.
while we were waiting lightning hit nearby and all the power/lights went out, the only thing you could see was ems units flying all over downtown.
at one point wind jolted our car out of the lane by about 2 feet instantly.