Article 1 year freelancer for Tom's Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
One Year at Tom’s: Highlights

My Tom’s and “journalist” "career" didn’t start off how I expected: I thought I’d write about Intel, but my first assignment was about Samsung Flashbolt memory. I diligently did some background reading, wrote it, and then it got pubbed… Shortly after, I got my first big assignment: Agilex. Not much later, I got my first NDA assignment: Qualcomm AI Cloud 100.

As I picked up the pace, it have always been the longer stories that were the most interesting:
  • The “major Intel leak” (Rocket Lake, Tiger Lake roadmap)
  • Intel packaging: ODI, MDIO, Co-EMIB
  • Nvidia chiplet
  • Intel Gen12 Linux: one of the first of quite some Xe coverage
  • Samsung Key Value SSD
  • Stratix 10 DX
  • BFloat16 deep dive
  • Intel recapture process leadership
  • ASML EUV bookings
  • Intel AI summit coverage (Keem Bay)
  • Intel week in review with Ponte Vecchio
  • Habana Labs
  • Some IEDM coverage
  • Intel 2029 process roadmap
  • Horse Ridge, Loihi
  • Barefoot Networks/Silicon Photonics
  • Rice slide algorithm
It's been a busy year for Intel, I'd say. One think to notice is that sometimes it takes some time to grasp the significant of certain items, such as Barefoot Networks using SiPh for their next switches, the Stratix 10 DX FPGA as bridge to CXL.

Besides Agilex, I also wrote two other features that are yet to get pubbed.

Thread locked pending review.

Iron Woode

Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
OP seems to be advertising himself. Like this is his blog or something.
Himself? I only see adverts to ... a certain other company

He writes the word "Intel" 9 times in the post and 6 extra times in the signature. His avatar is Intel logo FFS :D

Oh and regarding the signature where his point was to ridicule TSMC as a non-credible company. Let's just see how "neutral and well informed opinions" he had about them in 2016 (vs Intel):

Now, normally, I wouldn't believe this 7nm 1 year after 10nm and better yields than expected BS, but you know what, besides your subjective Apple comments, you do give some interesting information from time to time. So it might be that here we see the first prove of the materialisation of TSMC's parallel process node R&D. It very well could be, after their horrible 28nm node (which, I remind people, since people tend for forget quickly, it took them 4 years to get a successor for 28nm out of the fabs: 28nm AMD GPU early '12, 14nm GPU in '16).

So if TSMC pulls this off, then instead of them horribly falling behind Intel, which now seems unlikely, they will keep status quo with Intel, 2 years or so behind. I did not expect that at all (doing so well at these nodes) considering how much Intel is struggling with these nodes.

This is how fanboy-ism blinds (poo-pooing all competitors, while my favorite can do no wrong and will always execute flawlessly).

One would hope he'll tone it down a bit once Rocket Lake doesn't do 30% IPC gain and 5 Ghz foro some reason, but way. He'll just preach Alder Lake from then on, as the next best thing.

Wasn't Ice lake supposed to Crush AMD for being 37% better Clock-for-clock?

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Oh and I really wish you applied the same kind of scepticism for anything Intel does:

Come on. I know you're also an NVIDIA bull, so you know that's not true. Maybe they're improving but they'll have to prove that the hard way. So far, they have only proved for 1 node. 20nm was horribly late, it was a huge mess, so it's nothing to sneeze at that it was in time for A8. From 20nm to 20nm+FF isn't much of a leap. So yeah, from 14nm to 10nm in 2 years will look great, but compared to 20nm, it's also 3 years, which is nothing to sneeze at. Let's see if they can turn things around with 7nm, if they can do that within 3 years which they have not done since 28nm.

Now, compare to Tick-Tock. That's what I call a real track record. With hardly any mishaps.

You could practically switch the Company names now :D

But no way you'd ever word anything in that light

Chicken76

Jun 10, 2013
My Tom’s and “journalist” "career" didn’t start off how I expected: I thought I’d write about Intel...

@witeken How did you think you'd work as a journalist and write mostly about Intel? Do Tom's have a special Intel section?

Guys, tell me again how did AnandTech get associated with such an embarrassment for the journalistic profession as Tom's Hardware? There was "Just buy it!", then calling Hardware Unboxed trolls and liars and now they hire Witeken? What's next, Activision or EA cures you of the human malware is you buy enough loot boxes?

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
My Tom’s and “journalist” "career" didn’t start off how I expected

I thought it was mostly propaganda for Purch media's big corporate sponsor? [y'know, the one - a big CPU manufacturer that have been found guilty of illegal practices that fleece professionals and consumers - they had a swirly blue logo remarkably similar to that in your avatar]

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
@witeken How did you think you'd work as a journalist and write mostly about Intel? Do Tom's have a special Intel section?

Guys, tell me again how did AnandTech get associated with such an embarrassment for the journalistic profession as Tom's Hardware? There was "Just buy it!", then calling Hardware Unboxed trolls and liars and now they hire Witeken? What's next, Activision or EA cures you of the human malware is you buy enough loot boxes?
A long time ago, Tom's, really was a great site, comparable to Anandtech. This is the thing about reputation. For most people, who hardly do any critical thinking, reputation and by association, authority, is all that matters.

Just look around. As I have often said to friends, if I was as like mind as the elite, I would, like them, hold most people in contempt for being so manipulable. Just sound as if you know what you're saying and you've got a following.

Tom's do still put out some excellent articles, but basically PR writers get too much exposure there. Guess the money is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.