1 steam account on multiple computers?

butch84

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2001
Hey all-

I've purchased hl2, cs:source, and dod:source quite a while ago. I'd like to install it my second machine, legally of course. I have no intention on playing online on both machines at the same time.

Is this possible, and does it violate the license agreement?

Thanks,
Dave

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Thats legal I think, I believe it it even one of the selling points of steam...

Be sure to make it so steam does not automatically launch though cause otherwise it will try to be logged in on both computers if they are both on at the same time.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
yes, you can do this...

But you can't log into steam at the same time. Also, one thing I really like about steam is that once you install games once(if you have the cd/dvd copy)...from then on, you just need to download steam onto your computer and can install all the games again without need for a cd, it will just download them. I do this every format.

butch84

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2001
Excellent, I'll have to try it then. I'm not sure I want to let it download hl2 however, that'd be a lot of bandwidth. I'll try it tonight!

Thanks guys,
Dave

AsianriceX

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyLSU
yes, you can do this...

But you can't log into steam at the same time. Also, one thing I really like about steam is that once you install games once(if you have the cd/dvd copy)...from then on, you just need to download steam onto your computer and can install all the games again without need for a cd, it will just download them. I do this every format.

Or, you can use Steam's backup feature to create encrypted backups of your games so you don't have to download gigs of data. I do this since HL1, CS, HL2, CS:S, and other games total to about 5 gigs compressed.

It'll even split up the backup files into 4.7GB folders for DVD burning.