1 in 8 "Americans" recieve food stamps. Outrageous!

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
At $1.37/day I don't think they could afford something as expensive as ketchup dumb ass.

I'm kind of curious about this $1.37 myself.

I recently caculated that I'm feeding myself for about $6 a day. But that's supermarket prices for a 1600 calorie diet with no meat. It might be possible to do it for less, but I have a hard time imagining shaving 77% off that.

Maybe if you planted a garden and spent the $1.37 on seeds and fertilizer...

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
US would be a third world country with widespread malnutrition of conservatives get their way. We must guard against that.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
I fail to see how this problem can't be solved with some kind of forced labor.

No need for forced labor. Nature will take care of the problem if government stops with the handouts.

Government should provide access to a means to acquire food stamps, like public work projects in exchange for them...even pick up trash would be acceptable.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
No need for forced labor. Nature will take care of the problem if government stops with the handouts.

Government should provide access to a means to acquire food stamps, like public work projects in exchange for them...even pick up trash would be acceptable.

So how many bags of trash would they need to pick up? Who provides the transportation? Does everyone need to pick up the same amount of trash regardless of disability? If not who decides? Who enforces it? What if there is no trash to pick up?

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Those on government assistance programs should not be allowed to vote. Conflict of interest. Let them have their food stamps.....

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Those on government assistance programs should not be allowed to vote. Conflict of interest. Let them have their food stamps.....

Then the military and all other goverment employees shouldn't be able to vote. Hell, even the senators and congressmen shouldn't be able to vote using your logic.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
so nebor and specop are closet closet communist. no body vote and the state decides everything.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Then the military and all other goverment employees shouldn't be able to vote. Hell, even the senators and congressmen shouldn't be able to vote using your logic.

Um. I am pretty sure all of those groups you just listed have a job and support themselves. It is not like a government worker walks into Safeway and gets free food.

But nice try.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Um. I am pretty sure all of those groups you just listed have a job and support themselves. It is not like a government worker walks into Safeway and gets free food.

But nice try.

If their job is subsidized by the government, they have a conflict of interest, no vote for them.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

But nice try.

If you think it's so easy and wonderful then why don't you go on food stamps? I know old people that should be on them but refuse to lower themselves to jump through all the hoops it takes to get them.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

Employees of firms receiving Corporate Welfare should not be allowed to vote. Lot of people in banking and car manufacture would be out of luck.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Employees of firms receiving Corporate Welfare should not be allowed to vote. Lot of people in banking and car manufacture would be out of luck.

Of farmers, not that food stamps would do a lot of good without them...

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
One problem with the $1.37 price is that we've had tremendous inflation in food prices over the last two decade, especially over the last few years. Everyone buying groceries knows that a dollar won't buy what it did even six months ago, let alone years ago.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
One problem with the $1.37 price is that we've had tremendous inflation in food prices over the last two decade, especially over the last few years. Everyone buying groceries knows that a dollar won't buy what it did even six months ago, let alone years ago.

At $1.37 per day, you'd have a lot of malnourished children who are not going to develop properly, and cost society a lot more in the long run. And you are going to have a lot of unemployed farmers and food industry workers due to lower food spending.
This is conservative stupidity in action.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wish I could get food stamps [while keeping my current job of course] - it would definitely help cut down on the cost of overpriced food [and the fact that my wife lost her job a few months ago]. I checked out what the poverty level is and I absolutely can not fathom how a family could live on such a low income level [they'd have to be living in a single wide 2 bedroom mobile home in the middle of South Dakota].

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
At $1.37 per day, you'd have a lot of malnourished children who are not going to develop properly, and cost society a lot more in the long run. And you are going to have a lot of unemployed farmers and food industry workers due to lower food spending.
This is conservative stupidity in action.

That's exactly what happened in Great Britain up until the Great War. There were some fascinating (though not very scientific) studies on nutrition in early years and its affect on intelligence, vigor, and survival. Children of the very poor (those who lived on around a pound a week) were smaller, died in far larger numbers, and were overall less vigorous and less intelligence due to reduced nutrition in early and middle childhood. Those children in the study group were given milk and in some cases other nutritious foods, which largely eliminated their deficits and increased risks. (Substandard housing, especially damp and the lack of fresh air, still affected them.)

Note however that this is not a movement of conservatives asking for the poor to be put on $1.37 per day, as your last line implies. Rather this is one (probably conservative) guy who is saying he has experienced it being done successfully, at one time in the not too distant past. Likewise, I don't think you would argue that we are anywhere near those levels (either early 1900s England or $1.37 per day per head) in today's welfare and food stamp culture.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
That's exactly what happened in Great Britain up until the Great War. There were some fascinating (though not very scientific) studies on nutrition in early years and its affect on intelligence, vigor, and survival. Children of the very poor (those who lived on around a pound a week) were smaller, died in far larger numbers, and were overall less vigorous and less intelligence due to reduced nutrition in early and middle childhood. Those children in the study group were given milk and in some cases other nutritious foods, which largely eliminated their deficits and increased risks. (Substandard housing, especially damp and the lack of fresh air, still affected them.)

Note however that this is not a movement of conservatives asking for the poor to be put on $1.37 per day, as your last line implies. Rather this is one (probably conservative) guy who is saying he has experienced it being done successfully, at one time in the not too distant past. Likewise, I don't think you would argue that we are anywhere near those levels (either early 1900s England or $1.37 per day per head) in today's welfare and food stamp culture.

There were conservatives in this thread (if you'd of bothered to read it before spouting off) who said they could easily feed themselves on that. I've asked for a menu but have had no takers. Just know-it-alls like yourself. :p

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Wish I could get food stamps [while keeping my current job of course] - it would definitely help cut down on the cost of overpriced food [and the fact that my wife lost her job a few months ago]. I checked out what the poverty level is and I absolutely can not fathom how a family could live on such a low income level [they'd have to be living in a single wide 2 bedroom mobile home in the middle of South Dakota].

The answer is simple, get divorced and your wife can get them along with a ton of other .gov handouts. If you have kids you can pull in some pretty decent change to supplement your income.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I was on food stamps as a kid, I now pay more taxes in one week than I got in food stamps in a year. I guess from Republican point of view it would be better if I spent my childhood begging for food instead of getting an education, which is exactly why that point of view can't be allowed to prevail.

I really don't think the Republicans have a problem with foodstamps in general. They have a problem with the fraud that most people see with their own eyes and that should be understandable. I have personally seen a ton of fraud with the foodstamp program alone but unfortunately I don't have a good answer to it and I am not willing to starve the truly needy people to solve it.

With that said, the sheer number of people on the program it would probably be cheaper for the government to buy the food themselves so that they can negotiate better prices. Sorta like both parties have done with big pharma.