1 in 5 Americans is Religiously Unaffiliated

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Good News! Also - 1/3 Young Adults is not affiliated either.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Slowing but surely the wheels of progress are turning. Religion is dying in the US, homophobia is dying. What will happen to the GOP? Will racism be enough?

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
I always find polls like this a little tricky. Many of those who are unaffiliated still consider themselves religious or "spiritual" in some way, while many others are atheist but still affiliated with a religion (as I am).

I will agree that at least anecdotally, though, that atheism has a much stronger foothold than it used to. There are far more atheist advocates speaking far more freely than ever before. There are still areas where atheists are not as well accepted, but it is improving.

Edit: All those proclaiming that ridding the world of religion will somehow eliminate bigotry and idiocy are in for a disappointment. Religion is an excuse for, not a cause of, these ails.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
My money is on fresh water being that "something else".

That is a resource and I agree with you in the coming decades fresh water will become very valuable. But I am talking ideology\religion. Organized religion as we know it may go away completely but something else fill its void in the political landscape.

Nov 29, 2006
That is a resource and I agree with you in the coming decades fresh water will become very valuable. But I am talking ideology\religion. Organized religion as we know it may go away completely but something else fill its void in the political landscape.

As long as its not being filled by nonsense that is unprovable i dont care what fills the void.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
As long as its not being filled by nonsense that is unprovable i dont care what fills the void.

What do you think it will be filled with? Lets be honest when a politician starts abusing something. It will be filled with lots of nonsense.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003

wall-e-fat-people-in-chairs1.jpg

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Yes! We will rid the world of religion one day. Its a dying breed, thank god.
At least until something else starts up, once people have forgotten about the problems it caused. Our species forgets things very quickly; sometimes not even a full generation passes. :\

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
It's kind of funny to see how some people think removing religion will fix anything. Human nature dictates a lot of how people behave. We are wired to do certain things and seek out certain things, and religion is just one manifestation of that behavior. If you could wave a magic wand and get rid of religion altogether, people would simply latch onto something else to find a way to justify their behavior and fight/discriminate/kill.

Religion is often used to justify all sorts of terrible things, but I think it's foolish to think that without religion those terrible things would not happen. They'd still happen, with some other justification.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It's kind of funny to see how some people think removing religion will fix anything. Human nature dictates a lot of how people behave. We are wired to do certain things and seek out certain things, and religion is just one manifestation of that behavior. If you could wave a magic wand and get rid of religion altogether, people would simply latch onto something else to find a way to justify their behavior and fight/discriminate/kill.

Religion is often used to justify all sorts of terrible things, but I think it's foolish to think that without religion those terrible things would not happen. They'd still happen, with some other justification.
I think making it more difficult to justify bad behavior is a good thing, regardless of whether or not you can eliminate it completely.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003

To me it matters less that there will always be something else to latch on to and more that we will have moved on to something else; it is the moving-on itself that is good.

Feb 6, 2007

This is very much the truth. It's in our nature to compete with each other for resources, for the opportunity to mate, for the ability to survive. It's going to happen regardless of religion. Religion just makes it easier to break things down into an "us or them" mentality.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
Good to hear, hopefully this is due to knowledge and information of the world around us.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I think making it more difficult to justify bad behavior is a good thing, regardless of whether or not you can eliminate it completely.

That's where I think most of you are wrong. It will in no way be more difficult to justify bad behavior. There will always be infinite numbers of ways to justify bad behavior, religion is not the cause of the bad behavior. Societies with little or no religious influence are no better than other societies where religion is more prominent. You'll find terrible places with no religion (north korea anyone?) and terrible places with religion (Iran).

Religion is not the cause of the bad things, and removing it would not fix anything.