1 AGP and 1 PCI video card on the same computer?

TheBlindMan

Jun 8, 2001
Can it be done?

I just bought a Radeon 8500 (AGP) and I was looking for a video capture device and then it hit me... how about an AIW 128 Pro in one of the available PCI slot? That would be sweet... but is it possible?

Thanks.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
You can have any number of PCI and AGP VGA chips in your system - as long as they ALL are multi-VGA capable. ATi cards usually are, so I'd say go ahead.

regards, Peter

NeoMadHatter

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2000
johntwang.com
i don't think it's possible. i hate to be the negative one, but i have a strange feeling it won't work. besides, with 2 vid cards you're going to have to set up a dual monitor setup unless every time you want to use the video capture you move the monitor to the other video card and restart. it just doesn't seem right and i think i read somewhere that some people tried it before and it doesn't work unless you make the AIW the primary and if you're going to do that, you might as well just get the 8500DV or 8500 AIW.

TheBlindMan

Jun 8, 2001
I recall a BIOS setting for defaulting to the VGA to the AGP card (which would be the 8500). So given that the 8500 (AGP) is the primary display, how would I set up the AIW (PCI) to view the video input/TV on my monitor which is connecred to the AGP card? Hmmmm.....

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
Well the capture engine on the AIW can push the video data stream either to the graphics unit on the same card, or over the PCI bus into main RAM (for recording purposes) or onto another graphics card (for viewing purposes). As long as the software lets you do it, all you need to do is open your ATi TV viewing application on the monitor you want to use, the rest is the operating system's problem.

regards, Peter

powerMarkymark

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2002
It can be done but you have to set the AIW 128 Pro as primary in the bios (or if you are using WinXP you can easily select the primary card without rebooting in Display properties) if you want to use the multimedia capabilities.

Like "NeoMadHatter" says, with 2 vid cards you're going to have to set up a dual monitor setup unless every time you want to use the video capture you move the monitor to the other video card and restart. Do you have an extra monitor you can use? Dual displays rules!

HTH.

Mark