$1,900 worth of GPUs

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
isn't there a point of diminishing returns for Physx? wouldn't something like a GTS 250 be all you'd really need?

granted, it sounds like he's recycling a GTX 295 he already had prior to the 5970s, but still, I'm curious if there's a reason to have such a setup outside of strictly e-peen status

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
That's almost a kW from the graphics alone... Though that setup rips through anything that's available right now. Add the hacked PhysX drivers and the dude is set for a looooooooong time. I wouldn't be surprised to see a ~4GHz Core i7 in there.

Best 3D cards on the market in CrossFireX and and the best PhysX card (unless PhysX runs on only one core from that GTX295, then a GTX285 would beat it).

at80eighty

Jun 28, 2004
Best 3D cards on the market in CrossFireX and and the best PhysX card (unless PhysX runs on only one core from that GTX295, then a GTX285 would beat it).

I was just about to ask after reading about that hotfix - I'm almost tempted to toss a cheap PhysX capable card with my Radeon. is there anything in the $50-$60 range that's a discrete card too?

Also as far as PhysX is concerned - does the processing capacity differ much from the GTX2xx range vs some lowly entry level card?

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I was just about to ask after reading about that hotfix - I'm almost tempted to toss a cheap PhysX capable card with my Radeon. is there anything in the $50-$60 range that's a discrete card too?

Also as far as PhysX is concerned - does the processing capacity differ much from the GTX2xx range vs some lowly entry level card?

You might want to send Keysplayr a PM - he did a very good testing of several nVidia cards (8600GT, 8800GTS and GTX280) and their corresponding PhysX performance (either as single or add-on card). Take note this was done on an all-nVidia setup and those results may not be similar to what you will get in the end, should you do the hack. It might not work at all (though there's a pretty big chance it will :)). No guarantees :)

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
As per Qbah's request:

http://jkamassociates.com:8880/PhysX/index.htm

I have to include here, that an Nvidia GPU intended to run dedicated PhysX alongside an ATI GPU may work with that hack now, but there is no guarantee that it will in the future with new driver releases. That limitation "can be" as soon as the next driver release. So it is at your own risk.

Last edited:

ScorcherDarkly

Aug 7, 2009
As per Qbah's request:

http://jkamassociates.com:8880/PhysX/index.htm

I have to include here, that an Nvidia GPU intended to run dedicated PhysX alongside an ATI GPU may work with that hack now, but there is no guarantee that it will in the future with new driver releases. That limitation "can be" as soon as the next driver release. So it is at your own risk.

Is there any reason you can't just ignore new driver releases? Eventually something will require them I'd imagine, but otherwise that'd be what I'd do.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Few weeks ago I posted the description along with a DL link about re-enabling PhysX support but search does not work for me here at all...

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004

I assume those Batman AA numbers are from the built in benchmark? The numbers you got for the GTX 280 w/ PhysX on high are about what I got with my GTX 275, and the game played fine until I got to Bane... Bane broke through the wall, and the game turned into a slide show (literally). I assume Bane is slinging around a lot of debris because as soon as I notched it down to normal PhysX it played fine.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Well, he does have a 30' Dell screen they are pumping to. Personally, I think PhsyX isn't worth it but thats just me. Must be nice to have that kind of spare cash though.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
So I stumbled upon this little gem. A Polish Web page called pclab.pl did an extreme overclocing on a Core i7 platform with 4 HD5870 cards. Everything was heavily overclocked and cooled with liquid nitrogen.

They used an ASUS P6T7 WS Super Computer motherboard, a Core i7 975 at 4.75GHz and the Radeons were OCed to 1.315GHz on the core and 1.3GHz on the memory. They also moded the cards physically to give them better power conditions.

Result? A single OCed HD5870 at 1920x1200 AAx8 in Crysis got 39 average (27 min). For HD5870x4 the score jumped to 69FPS average and 31 min... Crazy :D Stock number was 31FPS avg.

Link here, all in Polish though :)

Last edited:

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Well, he does have a 30' Dell screen they are pumping to. Personally, I think PhsyX isn't worth it but thats just me. Must be nice to have that kind of spare cash though.

Lol, what else does he spend money on if he lives in his parents' basement?

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I doubt anything over a GTX 260 would increase physics performance, but it would be interesting to see the results. Can Physx even use a dual-GPU card fully? I thought it would only use 1 GPU anyway....

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I assume those Batman AA numbers are from the built in benchmark? The numbers you got for the GTX 280 w/ PhysX on high are about what I got with my GTX 275, and the game played fine until I got to Bane... Bane broke through the wall, and the game turned into a slide show (literally). I assume Bane is slinging around a lot of debris because as soon as I notched it down to normal PhysX it played fine.

GTX275 and GTX280 are very close in performance. I think the most comfortable setup for this game at 16x10 or 19x10/12 would be what the game recommends. A GTX260 + 9800GTX class card for PhysX. Although my 9600GSO (96 shader, 512MB 128-bit GDDR3)did quite nicely alongside my GTX280. Actually performed "just" under GTX280 + 8800GTS 512. I'm trying to revoke my original registration code from my old rig so I can install and re-register Batman on my new rig, but it's giving me trouble. So I can't start up Batman to check out the Bane level with a dedicated PhysX card for ya. I'm in touch with Eidos to help me with the reggy. Hope I hear from them soon.