$1,700 for two wheel bearings??

WIgirltoNC

Dec 2, 2019
Hi all, it's time to get my front and back passenger side wheel bearings changed on my 2009 Subaru Forester. My local mechanic is quoting me at $1,700, with the break down below.

Rear hub assembly: 318
Front wheel ABS sensor: 190
Rear labor: 238
Front hub assembly: 238
Rear wheel ABS sensor: 381
Front labor: 214
Shop fees/taxes: 160

Please keep in mind my vehicle is 10 years old and VERY rusty, so I understand it might be tricky. But does this seem logical? Also, are the two sensors completely needed to take care of the wheel bearing? (I know nothing about this). Thanks!

Last edited:

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
shop wanted 800 to do one front bearing on my gmc pickup. i spent 150 on parts and did it in an hour in my driveway.

check the parts cost at rock auto. the shop said the part was 350, and i bought the OEM one for 150 online.

Jon-T

Jun 5, 2011
Way too much.

See Timmy at the repair garage just past the red light. He should be able to work you in at a better price.

• Haha
Reactions: FeuerFrei

WIgirltoNC

Dec 2, 2019
Sounds like I have $15 coming my way to help pay for this service? Completely thought I put the details in the post, but it's a 2009 Subaru Forester, with a lot of rust from living in Wisconsin. I would assume the ABS sensor changes are just for the worst case scenario if those get broken due to the rust. So if all goes well, that would cut off about $700. Putting me around $1,000 for two wheel bearings?

• Haha
Reactions: skyking

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
the unit bearing is between 50 and 100 bucks each, abs sensors are 20 to 100 each. so for 200 plus a harbor freight socket set, an air compressor and an impact wrench, you could do the whole job for about 300 bucks.

should be pretty straight forward, depending on level of rust, i would replace all the fasteners you use, and your brake pads at the same time as that all has to come off anyway.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Sorry, we were betting each other;)

But anyway, find a different mechanic. Yes, shops mark up the price of parts but that's ridiculous. For reference start with dealer pricing and work down. Talk to a service writer and ask for a specific quote to replace a hub bearing, for example.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
the unit bearing is between 50 and 100 bucks each, abs sensors are 20 to 100 each. so for 200 plus a harbor freight socket set, an air compressor and an impact wrench, you could do the whole job for about 300 bucks.

should be pretty straight forward, depending on level of rust, i would replace all the fasteners you use, and your brake pads at the same time as that all has to come off anyway.

The bearings have to be pressed in, unless something's changed from the previous generation Forester.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
The bearings have to be pressed in, unless something's changed from the previous generation Forester.

the 09 is a unit bearing with 4 bolts and integrated tone ring. the 08 is pressed in.

WIgirltoNC

Dec 2, 2019
Thanks for all the help everyone! I've tried calling 3 other places, one was a similar price, and two were a few hundred dollars cheaper (negating the ABS sensor). I sadly don't have the time, equipment, or skills to replace this myself, so a mechanic it will be! Glad to have the support that this isn't the cheapest option.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Thanks for all the help everyone! I've tried calling 3 other places, one was a similar price, and two were a few hundred dollars cheaper (negating the ABS sensor). I sadly don't have the time, equipment, or skills to replace this myself, so a mechanic it will be! Glad to have the support that this isn't the cheapest option.
Go to a legit mechanic!!! That dude whose shop is located in the back alley is also selling sub woofers out of hid van.....

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
What major city are you close to? I'll ask for a recommendation in the Subaru circles.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
The front part prices seem ballpark for dealer parts with another markup on top, so a markup on a markup. The rear part prices are stupid high beyond that. Labor seems high for the newer hubs. Might be worth finding the parts yourself online and taking them to the mechanic if none of them will give you better parts prices. OEM hubs ~$120-150 each and OEM ABS speed sensors ~$60 each, aftermarket even less.

If the car is throwing a CEL that is related to the sensors, and there's no obvious damage to the wire, then it would be worth cleaning the sensor head first before replacing.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Hi all, it's time to get my front and back passenger side wheel bearings changed on my 2009 Subaru Forester.

What makes you believe it's time to replace them? What were the symptoms? It is not normal to need all 4 new bearings all at once. Usually, there would be a problem with one of them, then it would be up to you whether to replace the other side on the same axle (same end). There is no inherent need to replace the other one but the thinking is that it's probably got about the same wear since it is the same part on the same vehicle, but this is not as true for the other end, front vs rear bearings don't necessarily wear out at the same time, and unlike some work, it isn't necessarily any easier to do both at once instead of only one at a time. Some shops might give a price break for doing that but it sure doesn't look like that shop is.

My local mechanic is quoting me at $1,700, with the break down below.

Rear hub assembly: 318
Front wheel ABS sensor: 190
Rear labor: 238
Front hub assembly: 238
Rear wheel ABS sensor: 381
Front labor: 214
Shop fees/taxes: 160

Please keep in mind my vehicle is 10 years old and VERY rusty, so I understand it might be tricky. But does this seem logical? Also, are the two sensors completely needed to take care of the wheel bearing? (I know nothing about this). Thanks!

That quote is at least twice what it should be, because of their excessive parts markup, but that isn't unusual for some shops. Again I'm not yet convinced that you really need all 4 hubs/bearings done or the ABS sensors.

You do not need new ABS sensors unless you are getting an ABS error code due to one (or more) not working. If the only problem is an ABS error, you might ONLY need a sensor, nothing else, though it is also possible that a failing hub bearing is throwing greasy metal onto the sensor if it sits inside the hub, or there is the possiblity that it breaks upon trying to remove it, OR it is external but very near the rear of the hub (and you'd see grease being spit out the hub seal onto it or the sensor ring, then those just need cleaned off, not replaced).

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Not sure how much similarity there is, but I just got a new rear passenger wheel bearing installed in my '06 Subaru B9 Tribeca for a bit over $200 (bearing itself listed at $154 on the invoice).