1/31/12 Steam Midweek Madness: Duke Nukem Forever 75% off

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Let's just get this one out of the way.

"Is it worth $4.99?"

My answer: yes

The Doctor Who Cloned Me DLC is better than the original campaign, IMO, so at $2.50 i'd highly recommend getting that as well.

Last edited:

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I also played the demo and thought it sucked but I'm still tempted to pick it up, along with the DLC.

Have there been any patches since launch?

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
I also played the demo and thought it sucked but I'm still tempted to pick it up, along with the DLC.

Have there been any patches since launch?

There's a patch that allows you to carry 4 weapons at once, an FOV fix, and some other stuff. It's much more playable now than the demo version was IMO.

Here's the full details of that patch if you're interested.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/5978/

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
For $5, I think this game is worth a shot. It's not as bad as some people make it out to be.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Don't forget about your Amazon $5 promo codes. Today's the last day to use them, and you can get DNF for free ($5.00 before coupon).

It's Steamworks, so Amazon will give you a key that works on Steam.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
When I played the demo, it seemed more like an arcade shooter, then a game for the PC.

Arcade shooter? As in, a shooter that you play at a Chuck-E-Cheese with a slobbery joystick on a giant machine? You're wrong.

If you mean "arcade" as in "unrealistic"; then yes, of course it's very arcadey. It's a Duke Nukem game. It's supposed to be over-the-top and ridiculous.

Also, since when did "arcade shooter" and "PC shooter" have to be mutually exclusive?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Arcade shooter? As in, a shooter that you play at a Chuck-E-Cheese with a slobbery joystick on a giant machine? You're wrong.

No, I am not wrong, its a matter of opinion.

In the demo you have to use a rocket launcher to fight a boss. During the fight you kept running out of ammo, which was be design. The air drop supplied you with more rockets to continue the fight.

I remember thinking something like, "is this the best the developers can come up with"? Seriously, you run out of rockets, wait for resupply, the continue the fight? That is pretty sorry if you ask me.

Have you ever seen the arcade games where you have a rifle, and they game walks you through so you can shoot at the "bad guys"? Its a game you stand up to play, its in a lot of arcades - that is what duke nukem reminded me of.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
No, I am not wrong, its a matter of opinion.

In the demo you have to use a rocket launcher to fight a boss. During the fight you kept running out of ammo, which was be design. The air drop supplied you with more rockets to continue the fight.

I remember thinking something like, "is this the best the developers can come up with"? Seriously, you run out of rockets, wait for resupply, the continue the fight? That is pretty sorry if you ask me.

Have you ever seen the arcade games where you have a rifle, and they game walks you through so you can shoot at the "bad guys"? Its a game you stand up to play, its in a lot of arcades - that is what duke nukem reminded me of.

You realize that part, is Duke playing a video game of himself.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
You realize that part, is Duke playing a video game of himself.

I am not referring to duke playing the game, I am referring to how scripted duke nukem forever felt.

DNF felt scripted, just like an arcade shooter game.

GundamW

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
DNF is not a bad game. People just expected too much out of it after all these time.
It would have been fine if it didn't have all of the drama/delays and were actually released a few years after Duke3D.
3dRealm was totally at fault. Gearbox just patched the game up and released it. The next Duke Nukem game should be a lot better. (...unless Gearbox/2KGames goes under.)

rageofthepeon

Jan 31, 2012
If it's $5 now it'll be $5 or cheaper again during the Steam summer sale for sure. Don't remember if there is another decent sale before then but meh. Unless you are hard up on playing Duke Nukem this instant I would wait.

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
The game was very short and linear. I was disappointed in the weapons and the bosses, but some of the levels were original. Towards the end of the game you get stuck doing some very annoying sequences underwater, but at least that part didn't last long. It did have some macho charm at parts that you have to laugh at.

Overall it was a mixed bag. I don't usually play shooters but got it with the 2k holiday steam bundle. The campaign lasted 10 hours for me according to steam and I haven't done the dlc so I can't comment on that.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Ok, I bit.

I'll play a little tonight, and if it's at least mediocre I'll get the expansion as well.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
As a fan of the older nintendo 64 Duke games,this one is a bag of ass.

Stolen movie lines,puzzles,to much dialogue at times and some stuff that doesn't make any sense.

Old Duke games you load shoot reload kill them all this one you shoot you figure out a puzzle you reload kill some more while adding in a stolen movie line and it goes on and on.

The part that eventually ticked me off is the monster truck that kept running out of fuel every 3 mins and you shoot piggys find fuel figure out a puzzle to get it half the time and the same thing for 30+ mins...its like why?I mean its like they think of ways of prolonging the suffering with this silly ass crap on purpose.

I tried to play this game on 3 different occasions and i always came to the conclusion of why am i punishing myself?

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Wow, this game really is something, isn't it.

You really have to be in a retro mood to enjoy something like this.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Wow, this game really is something, isn't it.

You really have to be in a retro mood to enjoy something like this.

If I was in a retro mood I'd play retro games. Not new games lying about what they are.