ººººº--§§§§§§§--The Freebies thread--§§§§§§§--ººººº Part 0b110 (six).

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Some freebies to give:
Netgear WNR2000v2 10/100 N300 2.4Ghz router, flashed with DD-WRT (qty 4+)
LinkSys / Cisco E2500v1 10/100 N600 dual-band 2.4/5Ghz router, flashed with Tomato (qty 4)
Tenda (unsure which model) 10/100 AC1200 dual-band router, Broadcom chipset, but no alt. firmware avail yet. (qty several)
(limit 1 router, PM me if you have need for more than one, and explain why)

Plenty of asst. 50-pack shrink-wrapped DVD-R, DVD+R, CD-R spindles. (qty many) (limit 2 DVD, 1 CDR)

Some low-end video cards (GT610, GT620). (Ryzen CPU requires a dGPU.) (limit 1)

HDMI cables (qty) (limit 2)

SATA cables, 18", 18" with latches, 10" with latches (qty) (limit up to 8, specify how many needed, and what lengths.)

Edit: OK, ready to start sending out some stuff (2018-09-05). PM me for my Paypal, to pay for shipping.
The routers, I need to track down, so for now, those aren't available. But the HDMI and SATA cables, and the DVD and CD spindles are available. There are a few video cards available too, not too many. They are low-end, though, and NOT good for gaming at all. Just display output, and watching online videos and YouTube.

There were two people that PMed me before when I first posted this, they have "dibs" on the video cards, if they still need them. I'll try to dig up my older PMs.

Edit 2018-09-23: whole PC systems (no keyboard / mouse / speakers / display, just the main unit)
I have slowly been accumulating, a whole bunch of PCs. Some, I have built for entry-level / low-end gaming. Those will NOT be given away. I'm drawing the line at all of my pre-DDR4 systems, that are remaining in my warehouse, and ready to be sold / given away / not personally needed. Those, I am now GIVING AWAY.

$50 shipping and handling, flat fee, per PC, anywhere in the CONUS. If it costs more, I pay it. If it costs less, well, I just consider it a tip for buying the parts and putting the system together. The cheapest of these rigs cost me $180, so you're still getting quite a deal.

I've got AM1 rigs, mostly all SFF, most with 4GB of DDR3, and an SSD, 60GB or 120GB, quad-core Sempron 3850 @ 1.3Ghz. Most of the AM1 mobos do allow overclocking, which works in Windows, but not in Linux.

|'ve got some Haswell Celeron, as well as G3258, rigs. The G3258 rigs, are all in overclockable H81 motherboards. Could be fun to play with.

My only limitations:
Please, for personal use only, I'm not interested in outfitting your business office with PCs for free. Go buy some business-class refurb PCs at Newegg instead.

Please, if you already have a (desktop) PC, that's less than 5 years old, don't ask for one of these.

If you:
Don't have a (desktop) PC, or
your PC is older than 5 years old, or
You want / need a PC, for your kids, or your Mom or Grandmother, or
You know someone that's Elderly / Disabled / not PC-literate and you want to get them into a new or newer (than 5 years old) PC,

Then PM me with the subject "FREE PC", thanks.

Limit one per person.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with availability, and you can specify if you prefer AM1 (quad-core, lower-power, works great with Chrome or could put ChromiumOS on it), or Haswell G3258 (if you want to OC), or Haswell Celeron (if you just want a basic PC to use). I'll try to accomodate preferences, as availability allows.

NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER ON THESE. BY ACCEPTING ONE OF THEM, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE NO LIABILITY IN THE MATTER. THESE ARE COMPLETELY AS-IS, AND AS-AVAILABLE. NO RETURNS.

(But they will be test-booted before shipping out. These aren't junk, they're new and like-new custom-built desktop PCs.)

Due to my current health problems and lack of mobility, this offer is rescinded for now. Although I believe that I still have a number of these items in storage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shmee

ZYFER

Nov 2, 2002
Some freebies to give:
Netgear WNR2000v2 10/100 N300 2.4Ghz router, flashed with DD-WRT (qty 4+)
LinkSys / Cisco E2500v1 10/100 N600 dual-band 2.4/5Ghz router, flashed with Tomato (qty 4)
Tenda (unsure which model) 10/100 AC1200 dual-band router, Broadcom chipset, but no alt. firmware avail yet. (qty several)
(limit 1 router, PM me if you have need for more than one, and explain why)

Plenty of asst. 50-pack shrink-wrapped DVD-R, DVD+R, CD-R spindles. (qty many) (limit 2 DVD, 1 CDR)

Some low-end video cards (GT610, GT620, GT710). (Ryzen CPU requires a dGPU.) (limit 1)

HDMI cables (qty) (limit 2)

SATA cables, 18", 18" with latches, 10" with latches (qty) (limit 4)

PM sent thanks

artless1

Feb 21, 2009
Some freebies to give: . . .
Some low-end video cards (GT610, GT620, GT710). (Ryzen CPU requires a dGPU.) (limit 1)
. . .

The GT710 would be great for an HTPC we built for elderly friend's "man-cave"

Shipping to 37643 ?

Thanx :)

Last edited:

gwing

Mar 28, 2018
I just stumbled upon this forum today and it seems like Ill be a regular visitor here.
Hey adammthompson, i am extremely interested in the FiiO DAC you mentioned, is it still available?
PS, i dont even know how this whole thing works
It would be greatly appreciated, thanks

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
My mining rigs are now officially disassembled, and I'm giving away most of the parts FOR FREE. These bits and pieces of hardware made me some good money. It's time to give back to the community.

Plus the condition of this hardware is kind of goofy, so you get what you pay for.

Motherboards

ASUS K9A2 Platinum - no original packaging.
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P - also no original packaging.
ASUS A88x-Pro - I have some of the original packaging (the box) but key components may be missing. For some weird-ass reason, it will not POST with 3 video cards in it, but only when running the A10-7870k that's in there right now. I think? I haven't tried booting the A10-7700k to diagnose the problem. There was an "incident" when uninstalling the 7700k that may or may not have resulted in CLU hitting some traces somewhere, but the last time I tested it, the board still worked. The original HSF mounting brackets are around here somewhere . . . I think?

RAM

Assorted cheapo DDR2 sticks. Dunno the brand, but I think it's 4x4GB? Something like that? No original packaging.
Silicon Power DDR3-2400 CAS/CL11 (2x8GB) - actually will run DDR3-2400 CAS/CL10 if you feed it enough power. Pretty good RAM. In an Intel system, you might get these sticks running in the 2600-2900 range . . .

CPUs

AMD Phenom X4 somethingorother. It's Agena, it's a quad, and yeah I don't remember exactly which part #.
AMD Phenom II X2 2xx(?) It's a dually, probably a 220 or something. It isn't one of the e-designated parts. No idea if it'll unlock. Total crapshoot!

AMD A10-7700k - fully delidded, with CLU dubiously splattered here and there. The delid/relid went great on this CPU, but removing it after the relid was sketchy. The lid stuck to the HSF, and there was CLU under that lid, so . . . anyway it didn't kill the board! Not sure if the CPU is still good, if CLU got onto the wrong parts of the CPU's PCB. This thing did 4.7 GHz back in the day. No packaging outside of the plastic clamshell + foam it's in now.
AMD A10-7870k - Not delidded (it's soldered). It has had some CLU on it, and it's still installed in the A88x-Pro. So the silkscreened print on the IHS is probably gone. Big whoop. It'll hit 4.7 GHz at lower voltage than the 7700k above. For some reason, switching to this CPU made me unable to boot 3 dGPUs on the A88x, which was weird. Not 100% sure why that happened.

PSUs

Seasonic X-1250 - No original packaging. I know I have a bag of cables for it. Just a matter of finding them all. This unit has given me nothing but headaches since I bought it. The first unit wouldn't power up anymore, so I sent it in for warranty and got this one as a replacement. It DOES power up, and has faithfully done so for over a year, but I have my doubts about its ability to reliably deliver clean power. I experienced weird problems trying to run any of my cards above 800 MHz or so (except my Pitcairn, lulz) on the system powered by this PSU. All the cards would do much better than that on my system powered by my EVGA unit. So it was either the K9A2 Plat not playing along nicely, or it was the PSU. None of the PSU cables showed signs of melting/burnout so at least there's that.

And now, without further ado . . .

GPUs

Sapphire R9 290 - for parts only. It sort of works but not really, some of the time? I found a loose capacitor when trying to deal with cracked/worn out TIM on the GPU, and the cap broke loose and it's been downhill ever since. No workie. No packaging.
Sapphire R9 290 - works, but likes to overheat. Badly. I have already tried TIM replacement on this once. I think it has Kyronaut? Didn't use the CLU on it, that I can recall . . . anyway, pop it open and have a look! Also, BIOS modded. No packaging.
Gigabyte R9 290 - works, but is BIOS modded. Original box.
XFX R9 290 - works, but is BIOS modded. Original box.
(2) Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X - worst mining cards evar. Well, not really. But they suck power, and BIOS modding didn't help much. Both are modded with the same BIOS. They have a switch, and only one of the BIOSes is modded. And yeah, they work. No packaging.
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X - works, but is BIOS modded. It has a switch, I think. No packaging.
MSI R9 390 Gaming - works, but likes to overheat a little? It should do okay for gaming duty. And yes, it's BIOS modded. May not be suitable for primary display, either (due to the BIOS mod). Original box.
(2)
XFX R9 390 - both work, both are BIOS modded. Damn fine cards overall. They have BIOS switches. Original box (for both)
Powercolor R9 390 - possibly my favorite 390. Its friggen yuge though. Also, it does work, and yes it's BIOS modded. It has a switch. Original box.

And last but not least:

Sapphire R9 270 2GB - Yay Pitcairn! It works and is not BIOS modded (I don't think?). My first ever mining dGPU. No packaging.

About the BIOS mods

Long story short, I modded a lot of these cards, to good effect. But flashing all these cards back to stock would require me pulling my Vega FE to use a non-conflicting driver stack blah blah blah. Anyway Vega + Hawaii = dog's breakfast. I'm too lazy to mess with all that. I have copies of all the original BIOS files for anyone that needs them. It is not hard at all to flash these cards under Windows, and I have done so multiple times without incident. Some of the cards will boot into primary display duty "just fine" with a modded BIOS, but at least one of them - the MSI 390 - may not play ball with you. Also, I generally do not recommend flashing any of these cards when they are given primary display duty. Just my $.02 on that.

About mining

These cards were all used for mining, and all but maybe one of the XFX cards were used when I got them. No idea how much they'll last before they develop quirks. Some of them already have quirks. A few of these cards, like the Vapor-X cards, spent most of their time underclocked. The MSI 390, XFX 390s, Powercolor 390, 290 Tri-X, and XFX 290 were undervolted/overclocked. I think the Gigabyte 290 spent most of its time undervolted/overclocked as well. The Pitcairn was overclocked much of the time too, though it was taken out of service about a year ago, so it hasn't seen as much action as the other cards.

Other Crap
Some 1x -> 16x PCIe riser cables - all powered! These are the "good ones", relatively-speaking. There are 8 of them. No packaging.
PCIe 1x 802.11somethin adapter - I think it's 802.11ac. Anyway it works in Linux as an n adapter so that's all that mattered to me. It's nothing but a card for laptops plugged into a desktop PCIe adapter. Pretty ghetto, but it works. No packaging.
Rosewill PCIe 1x 802.11ac wireless adapter - Same as above, but has a Rosewill heatsink on it.
Generic 150 mbps 802.11n USB wireless adapter - it's cheap, it works, I don't need it anymore. No packaging.
(7)
(3) Silicon Power Blaze05 USB 3.0 32GB flash drives - Still in the original packaging. It's a damn good thing I ordered these in bulk. They are easily the worst flash drives I've ever used for USB boot. I have a Sandisk drive that ran for maybe a year and a half as a boot stick in the Gigabyte board, but boot stick duty in the MSI board killed two of the Silicon Power drives. And they're ponderously slow in a USB 2.0 slot, for whatever reason. So bad.
Noctua NH-d14 - lapped and fully corrupted by CLU. It's been a workhorse since 2009. Damn good HSF. No packaging, though I'm pretty sure I can find the alan wrench for it if I look hard enough. All the AMD mounting hardware is currently on the A88x-Pro.
Delta EFC1212D 120x25mm fan - 100 cfm of loud-ness. Currently has my NH-d14's fan clips installed (they can be removed). No packaging.
Some Nidec Servo 120x38mm fan - it's currently strapped to my NH-d14 with the part # facing the HSF. I can cut it away from the NH-d14 on request. It is also a 100 cfm fan, and if I recall, it has better static pressure numbers than the Delta. Also nice and loud. No packaging.

Last edited:

Nitetrain

Jul 9, 2002
My mining rigs are now officially disassembled, and I'm giving away most of the parts FOR FREE. These bits and pieces of hardware made me some good money. It's time to give back to the community.

Plus the condition of this hardware is kind of goofy, so you get what you pay for.

Motherboards

ASUS K9A2 Platinum - no original packaging.
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P - also no original packaging.
ASUS A88x-Pro - I have some of the original packaging (the box) but key components may be missing. For some weird-ass reason, it will not POST with 3 video cards in it, but only when running the A10-7870k that's in there right now. I think? I haven't tried booting the A10-7700k to diagnose the problem. There was an "incident" when uninstalling the 7700k that may or may not have resulted in CLU hitting some traces somewhere, but the last time I tested it, the board still worked. The original HSF mounting brackets are around here somewhere . . . I think?

RAM

Assorted cheapo DDR2 sticks. Dunno the brand, but I think it's 4x4GB? Something like that? No original packaging.
Silicon Power DDR3-2400 CAS/CL11 (2x8GB) - actually will run DDR3-2400 CAS/CL10 if you feed it enough power. Pretty good RAM. In an Intel system, you might get these sticks running in the 2600-2900 range . . .

CPUs

AMD Phenom X4 somethingorother. It's Agena, it's a quad, and yeah I don't remember exactly which part #.
AMD Phenom II X2 2xx(?) It's a dually, probably a 220 or something. It isn't one of the e-designated parts. No idea if it'll unlock. Total crapshoot!
AMD A10-7700k - fully delidded, with CLU dubiously splattered here and there. The delid/relid went great on this CPU, but removing it after the relid was sketchy. The lid stuck to the HSF, and there was CLU under that lid, so . . . anyway it didn't kill the board! Not sure if the CPU is still good, if CLU got onto the wrong parts of the CPU's PCB. This thing did 4.7 GHz back in the day. No packaging outside of the plastic clamshell + foam it's in now.
AMD A10-7870k - Not delidded (it's soldered). It has had some CLU on it, and it's still installed in the A88x-Pro. So the silkscreened print on the IHS is probably gone. Big whoop. It'll hit 4.7 GHz at lower voltage than the 7700k above. For some reason, switching to this CPU made me unable to boot 3 dGPUs on the A88x, which was weird. Not 100% sure why that happened.

PSUs

Seasonic X-1250 - No original packaging. I know I have a bag of cables for it. Just a matter of finding them all. This unit has given me nothing but headaches since I bought it. The first unit wouldn't power up anymore, so I sent it in for warranty and got this one as a replacement. It DOES power up, and has faithfully done so for over a year, but I have my doubts about its ability to reliably deliver clean power. I experienced weird problems trying to run any of my cards above 800 MHz or so (except my Pitcairn, lulz) on the system powered by this PSU. All the cards would do much better than that on my system powered by my EVGA unit. So it was either the K9A2 Plat not playing along nicely, or it was the PSU. None of the PSU cables showed signs of melting/burnout so at least there's that.

And now, without further ado . . .

GPUs

Sapphire R9 290 - for parts only. It sort of works but not really, some of the time? I found a loose capacitor when trying to deal with cracked/worn out TIM on the GPU, and the cap broke loose and it's been downhill ever since. No workie. No packaging.
Sapphire R9 290 - works, but likes to overheat. Badly. I have already tried TIM replacement on this once. I think it has Kyronaut? Didn't use the CLU on it, that I can recall . . . anyway, pop it open and have a look! Also, BIOS modded. No packaging.
Gigabyte R9 290 - works, but is BIOS modded. Original box.
XFX R9 290 - works, but is BIOS modded. Original box.
(2) Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X - worst mining cards evar. Well, not really. But they suck power, and BIOS modding didn't help much. Both are modded with the same BIOS. They have a switch, and only one of the BIOSes is modded. And yeah, they work. No packaging.
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X - works, but is BIOS modded. It has a switch, I think. No packaging.
MSI R9 390 Gaming - works, but likes to overheat a little? It should do okay for gaming duty. And yes, it's BIOS modded. May not be suitable for primary display, either (due to the BIOS mod). Original box.
(2) XFX R9 390 - both work, both are BIOS modded. Damn fine cards overall. They have BIOS switches. Original box (for both)
Powercolor R9 390 - possibly my favorite 390. Its friggen yuge though. Also, it does work, and yes it's BIOS modded. It has a switch. Original box.

And last but not least:

Sapphire R9 270 2GB - Yay Pitcairn! It works and is not BIOS modded (I don't think?). My first ever mining dGPU. No packaging.

About the BIOS mods

Long story short, I modded a lot of these cards, to good effect. But flashing all these cards back to stock would require me pulling my Vega FE to use a non-conflicting driver stack blah blah blah. Anyway Vega + Hawaii = dog's breakfast. I'm too lazy to mess with all that. I have copies of all the original BIOS files for anyone that needs them. It is not hard at all to flash these cards under Windows, and I have done so multiple times without incident. Some of the cards will boot into primary display duty "just fine" with a modded BIOS, but at least one of them - the MSI 390 - may not play ball with you. Also, I generally do not recommend flashing any of these cards when they are given primary display duty. Just my $.02 on that.

About mining

These cards were all used for mining, and all but maybe one of the XFX cards were used when I got them. No idea how much they'll last before they develop quirks. Some of them already have quirks. A few of these cards, like the Vapor-X cards, spent most of their time underclocked. The MSI 390, XFX 390s, Powercolor 390, 290 Tri-X, and XFX 290 were undervolted/overclocked. I think the Gigabyte 290 spent most of its time undervolted/overclocked as well. The Pitcairn was overclocked much of the time too, though it was taken out of service about a year ago, so it hasn't seen as much action as the other cards.

Other Crap
Some 1x -> 16x PCIe riser cables - all powered! These are the "good ones", relatively-speaking. There are 8 of them. No packaging.
PCIe 1x 802.11somethin adapter - I think it's 802.11ac. Anyway it works in Linux as an n adapter so that's all that mattered to me. It's nothing but a card for laptops plugged into a desktop PCIe adapter. Pretty ghetto, but it works. No packaging.
Rosewill PCIe 1x 802.11ac wireless adapter - Same as above, but has a Rosewill heatsink on it.
Generic 150 mbps 802.11n USB wireless adapter - it's cheap, it works, I don't need it anymore. No packaging.
(7) Silicon Power Blaze05 USB 3.0 32GB flash drives - Still in the original packaging. It's a damn good thing I ordered these in bulk. They are easily the worst flash drives I've ever used for USB boot. I have a Sandisk drive that ran for maybe a year and a half as a boot stick in the Gigabyte board, but boot stick duty in the MSI board killed two of the Silicon Power drives. And they're ponderously slow in a USB 2.0 slot, for whatever reason. So bad.
Noctua NH-d14 - lapped and fully corrupted by CLU. It's been a workhorse since 2009. Damn good HSF. No packaging, though I'm pretty sure I can find the alan wrench for it if I look hard enough. All the AMD mounting hardware is currently on the A88x-Pro.
Delta EFC1212D 120x25mm fan - 100 cfm of loud-ness. Currently has my NH-d14's fan clips installed (they can be removed). No packaging.
Some Nidec Servo 120x38mm fan - it's currently strapped to my NH-d14 with the part # facing the HSF. I can cut it away from the NH-d14 on request. It is also a 100 cfm fan, and if I recall, it has better static pressure numbers than the Delta. Also nice and loud. No packaging.

PM sent. Would love to have the Gigabyte 290 and the powercolor 390.

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
I would like this:

May I ask what is goofy about the motherboards please :)

Ricky.

jackofalltrades

Feb 25, 2007
Looking for a ATX case for a budget build not really wanting to drop a lot of cash in it because I want to mod the case it needs to be mid-tower but I would love a full tower someone with a case collecting dust? I can breathe life in it!

Never mind I was hoping someone local might have had a moddable case but I have bought a new one thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Jawadali

Oct 1, 2003
Edit: purchased from a member here on the forums for $9.

Anyone have an Intel 7260 dual-band wireless-AC MiniPCI-E card (or similar)? I think the model number is 7260HMW.

Looking to upgrade the WiFi on a a few-year-old Sony laptop that currently has a Broadcom single-band Wireless-N card. I am looking on Ebay too, but I've heard of issues with WiFi cards and BIOS whitelists (as well as both AC and N cards sharing the 7260 model number). Thanks!

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I'm ISO a playstation 2 memory card. I'll try to put together some stuff I could offer up as well

Dec 10, 2005
I have two Shutterfly codes from my local grocery store's Monopoly promotion:

Item/Promo Code
Free Pencil Case: AB2X-43PR-986S-36S5AK
$25 off or 50% off: AB2Q-FG3T-ZTWJ-8YVYBB

Enter promo code at: shutterfly.com/shopplaywin

Reactions: skyking
Dec 10, 2005
Another free shutterfly code, for anyone interested:

Free 16x20 collage poster: AB2V-2UDT-45XJ-R2NBK6
Enter code at: shutterfly.com/shopplaywin

Reactions: skyking