No Burn-in on today's HDTVs

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Recently I decided to install my gamecube on my plasma I have upstairs as I haven't finished a couple games on it via the Wii since getting several new Wii games over the last couple of months. I was playing one of the metroid games and had the game on the inventory screen when I went for a bathroom break. A little later I turned off the TV and was then looking as the nice image of the inventory screen still on the TV with the power off. I turned the TV back on to regular TV and then switched through the channels for about 10 minutes. Next time I turned the TV off you could still see some of the old image outline but it was greatly reduced from the previous version. After a day or so it was totally gone.

My main concern is for my TV in the den. I've finally sold the old RPTV and am starting to do deal hunting for a new flat panel. I was planning on getting ~ 52" plasma, but as this TV does see much more video game use than the one upstairs I am much more concerned about burn in here. I don't have the brightness or contrast turned up on the current one, and I thought that burn in was supposed to be greatly reduced/eliminated. I often watch hours of sports or news on the upstairs plasma and have never noticed any type of stagnant images.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I have a cheapo Syntax Olevia 27in lcd and the image retention drives me nuts. Now it IS a cheap set ($400 and its almost 2 years old) and not some fancy, expensive high end set so I shouldn't expect the greatest quality but some games (ie: Devil May Cry 4 being a recent one) seem to have a stronger effect than others. Since I watch lots of baseball and other stuff that has lots of static images the image retention starts to get ultra annoying. One day when when I have more funds I would like to get a new hdtv/hd monitor strictly for my pc, 360 and maybe PS3 if I decide to get one and one screen for just TV/dvd's.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My mom's plasma has a mode thingy on it that'll remove the retention. Of course my DLP doesn't have such a thing :).

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
It's all about what set you buy. No ir/burn in on my pioneer. Check out avsforums plasma section and you should be able to get a good idea about what to expect from any set around.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Aikouka
My mom's plasma has a mode thingy on it that'll remove the retention. Of course my DLP doesn't have such a thing :).

No, your DLP just needs the bulb changed out every so often. ;)

As for what TV, Samsung is coming out with their new 6 series LCDs sometime in March which will replace their 71 models. And let me tell you, the Samsungs 71s are absolutely beautiful. If you can wait a little longer, Pioneer is expected to debut their new Kuro line in ~June. But if you want a new TV now, check out the Samsung 71 models or Pioneer's current Kuro line (5080 or better yet, 5010).

If it were me, I'd wait to see how the new Samsungs turn out. Like I said, they should be out this month.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
the thing about an lcd that bothers me is the chance for some pixels to die. On my pc's 24" panel I've got one stuck pixel just about dead center and it drives my crazy.

The plasma I have now is a panny and I was orignally thinking about getting another of them for downstairs. I've had a nephew at the house these last 2 weeks and the Wiis probably been on for 8+ hours a day. Who knows how many times he paused it and walked away for awhile. Don't really want to worry about my main tv getting stuck images.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: JackBurton

Haha, had it for over a year and no problems with the bulb yet ;). Although if I had a LED DLP, I wouldn't have any problems at all :(. Also, I can lift and carry my TV by myself with ease... you try carrying a plasma/LCD tv by yourself :p. My mom's plasma is smaller than my DLP and weighs over twice as much. I didn't suspect it to weigh that so when I picked it up at first it was an, "OH MAH GOD" sensation.

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I got a Pioneer 5080 about a month ago and haven't noticed any retention with it. I don't game for hugely prolonged periods but I'll play Forza for a couple hours at a time.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Panasonic 42" Plasma here. GF left a static image in it for 18 hours. Only noticeable if the screen was fully black, bas gone within 10 minutes of regular TV watching. Good new gen panels do not have burn in problems like the old ones did.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Yeah, burn in is really a thing of the past. However IR is still an issue with plasmas depending on what you are doing. It goes away, but it can be very annoying, it's one of the downsides of plasma sets. Like everything else, you can greatly reduce it with a bit of common sense.

cputeq

Sep 2, 2007
Display a full white image on the screen for a few minutes - /wave goodbye to ghost image.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

Haha, had it for over a year and no problems with the bulb yet ;). Although if I had a LED DLP, I wouldn't have any problems at all :(. Also, I can lift and carry my TV by myself with ease... you try carrying a plasma/LCD tv by yourself :p. My mom's plasma is smaller than my DLP and weighs over twice as much. I didn't suspect it to weigh that so when I picked it up at first it was an, "OH MAH GOD" sensation.

Why is this even a factor in determining what TV tech is better? who the hell moves around thier TV all the time? and why?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: randay

Why is this even a factor in determining what TV tech is better? who the hell moves around thier TV all the time? and why?

Those trying to justify their purchase. Or their mom's purchase.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
To be honest, who the hell is going to move around a large, expensive TV by themselves just because they can. I have dead lifted over 500lbs in competition. I'm still going to call a friend if I am moving an expensive TV around (more than a foot or two to clean). My current 40" LCD weighs like 50lbs. I can easily pick it up and move it around. However, if I wasn't just going to pick it up for the sake of picking it up (actually moving it somewhere), I would surely ask a roommate to give me a hand. Not because it's heavy, but because it's expensive and cumbersome. Who the hell would carry a 50+" DLP set by themselves? Is it physically light enough to do so? Sure! Is there a point? Not really... Where exactly do you hold a 50+ inch set that makes it easy to carry? Screw a handle into the top? lol...

Sorry I just had to waste your time reading this...