“Supercommittee” Should Develop Balanced Package of Tax Increases and Spending Cuts

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Main Article well worth the read.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3591

There are five main reasons why.

Spending cuts alone can't do the job. The key fiscal policy goal is to reduce deficits sufficiently to stabilize the debt relative to the size of the economy. The only way to accomplish this without severe cuts that would hit low- and middle-income Americans hard — in areas ranging from Medicare, Medicaid, and possibly Social Security to basic assistance for the poor — and weaken core government functions like education, scientific research, and ensuring safe food and water, is through revenue increases.

The 2001-2003 tax cuts are a significant contributor to projected deficits. Letting some or all of those tax cuts expire would make a significant contribution to reducing the deficit.
Higher-income people can and should share in the sacrifices needed to reduce long-term deficits. Low- and moderate-income households shouldn't be forced to bear a disproportionate share of the burden through cuts in Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and programs targeted on people who are poor or near-poor.

Taxes are low both in historical terms and in comparison with other countries. By either standard, the United States has significant room for increasing tax revenues.

Higher taxes are not an inherent barrier to economic growth. In fact, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has said that tax increases used to reduce budget deficits can improve long-term economic growth and job creation. The experience of the 1990s shows that claims that reasonable revenue increases will sink the economy largely reflect politics and ideology, not solid analysis.

9-27-11tax-f1.jpg

Higher-Income People Can and Should Share in Reducing the Deficit

9-27-11tax-f2.jpg

Taxes Are Low Both in Historical Terms and in Comparison with Other Countries

9-27-11tax-f4.jpg

In Reality I believe the "Supercommittee" is yet going to be another fiasco and cruel joke to Tax paying Americans but what I really want to hear is from Conservatives WHY the taxes should go back to the Pre-Bush Tax rates. I am in favor of letting ALL of them expire.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Of course the committee will be a failure. One side comes to the table armed with the usual liberal philosophy, tax / spend / tax more / spend into oblivion etc. The other side comes armed with the idea that defense spending is off the table.

Both sides are in agreement that they need to protect their cronies at the expense of the public.

Utter and complete fail is expected.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We have seen this graph before! It has no war in Libya on it??

What this chart does not realize is that the more money the government has in taxes, the more it spends!

Cut all the Green Money.

If it looks like the tax cuts cost more today than when they were implemented, then maybe the interpretation of the results are wrong. This simply shows how much the economy has grown due to the tax cuts! It does not mean we are losing a lot of money, it means the economy has gained a lot from the tax cuts! You just are too stupid to interpret the data. If you reemplement the tax, that is the money the economy will lose!

I do think we should curb our killing ways around the globe. It is one thing to defend ourselves by flexing our military might muscles, and it is another thing to just get involved in wars that never end. The war with Iraq was useless, and I am unsure if the war in Afghanistan is any better. There seems to be an endless supply of money to pay for terrorist activity, so maybe we should concentrate on where the money is coming from and attack the source. This is like trying to fight cancer by treating the symptoms. Terrorists are less effective when they do not have any money.

In reality the less money we spend on foreign oil, the less money we are providing terrorsts. So if we could convert our transportation dollars toward natural gas or go to electric rail, there may be some good come from that. At this point we need to take a realistic approach and not just throw money at green investments that are just wasted by corporations. Either go whole hog and convert trucks over to Nat Gas, or dont bother at all. This requires real investments in infrastructure.

Last edited:

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
We have seen this graph before! It has no war in Libya on it??

Cut all the Green Money.

If it looks like the tax cuts cost more today than when they were implemented, then maybe the interpretation of the results are wrong. This simply shows how much the economy has grown due to the tax cuts! It does not mean we are losing a lot of money, it means the economy has gained a lot from the tax cuts! You just are too stupid to interpret the data. If you reemplement the tax, that is the money the economy will lose!

LMAO you actually believe the shit you are shoveling?

o_Oo_O

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I think tax cuts have pretty much become obsolete economically, although morally there is still something to be said for not taking things away from the people who earn them. In good times tax cuts can stimulate the economy, but the fed will raise interest rates to keep growth low to fight inflation. In bad times, those with money to spare probably won't spend the money, and those without money to spare will probably spend the money on imported goods, taking much of that money straight out of our economy.

Tax increases on everyone will be necessary to fix the deficit, but there's no point to them until D.C. actually learns to spend less money, not just less money than they would like to spend. Otherwise increasing taxes is merely throwing fuel onto an out of control fire. Raising taxes during a recession is a bad idea though.

ArizonaSteve

Dec 20, 2003
Time to tax the piles of cash that the wealthy (and corporations) are sitting on. If they won't spend it to stimulate the economy, I'm sure the government can.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Committee should just disband and let the across the board cuts go into effect.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I will be in favor of taxes increases when I see real spending cuts out of washington. When I say real I mean total spending goes down for a year. And when washington takes getting rid of waste seriously. There are billions and billions wasted on duplication of services.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...-coburn-says-report-makes-congress-look-like/

This sounds reasonable to me but I would like to see a non Partisan appointed committee look into Federal Government waste.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
That won't amount to much if they don't make squat for income.

Sure it will. What is "squat" for income? So you should only pay taxes if you live the good suburban lifestyle?

Everyone should put some skin in the game. Maybe they would start caring about waste if they were actually contributing.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Tax increases on everyone will be necessary to fix the deficit, but there's no point to them until D.C. actually learns to spend less money, not just less money than they would like to spend. Otherwise increasing taxes is merely throwing fuel onto an out of control fire. Raising taxes during a recession is a bad idea though.

I understand your concept, but what is the benchmark for determining when "D.C. actually learns to spend less money?"

- wolf

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sure it will. What is "squat" for income? So you should only pay taxes if you live the good suburban lifestyle?

Everyone should put some skin in the game. Maybe they would start caring about waste if they were actually contributing.

What's the cut off of adjusted income to get out of paying taxes?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
What's the cut off of adjusted income to get out of paying taxes?

Ill use a nice liberal source for you....

Who Pays Taxes? Not As Many As You Think

It turns out that nearly half of all Americans don't have to pay any federal income tax. In 2009, 47 percent of all filers paid nothing. It's a number that's gone up significantly in just a couple of years. Robert Siegel talks to Roberton Williams, who's been crunching the numbers at the Tax Policy Institute in Washington. According to Williams, millions escape filing because their incomes are too low or they're eligible for deductions, credits and exemptions

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125997180

There is no hard cut-off, it is based off several things.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ill use a nice liberal source for you....

Who Pays Taxes? Not As Many As You Think

It turns out that nearly half of all Americans don't have to pay any federal income tax. In 2009, 47 percent of all filers paid nothing. It's a number that's gone up significantly in just a couple of years. Robert Siegel talks to Roberton Williams, who's been crunching the numbers at the Tax Policy Institute in Washington. According to Williams, millions escape filing because their incomes are too low or they're eligible for deductions, credits and exemptions

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125997180

There is no hard cut-off, it is based off several things.

Ok I have one better for your Repuglican mind...

http://mediamatters.org/research/200810160021

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Calling names when I have already addressed your out-dated opinion piece in the post above it? No wonder this sub-forum doesn't attract many with an above-average IQ.

LOL Your the one who said "Ill use a nice liberal source for you..."

If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.