“I’m not a scientist”; Temporary Band-Aid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/u...m=0_876aab4fd7-480e724e1c-303423917&referrer=

Jon A. Krosnick, who conducts polls on public attitudes on climate change at Stanford, finds the phrase perplexing. “What’s odd about this ‘I’m not a scientist’ line is that there’s nothing in the data we’ve seen to suggest that this helps a candidate,” Mr. Krosnick said. “We can’t find a single state where the majority of voters are skeptical. To say, ‘I’m not a scientist’ is like saying, ‘I’m not a parakeet.’ Everyone knows that it just means, ‘I’m not going to talk about this.’ ”

For now, “I’m not a scientist” is what one party adviser calls “a temporary Band-Aid” — a way to avoid being called a climate change denier but also to sidestep a dilemma.

And, as per a Republican adviser;
For Mr. McKenna, the energy lobbyist and Republican adviser, the political future is clear. “We’re going to keep getting this question until we nail down a hard answer,” he said.

As well as from an anonymous Republican adviser;
“The general dialogue has been, ‘We have to do something about this,’ ” said one Republican adviser who asked to remain anonymous in order to speak candidly. “We have to be less head-in-the-sand and acknowledge we are losing public opinion on this issue.”

So, we went from: there is no climate change,.. to just ignoring ANY denial or acknowledgement?

I suspect that post elections, they'll go back to denial. Until that time, GOPers are trying to keep as squeaky clean as possible.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The three stages of truth:

1) Ridicule
2) Violent Opposition
3) Acceptance

We have left stage 1 and are well into stage 2.

Feb 6, 2007
I need to write a script that replaces "scientist" with "parakeet" in all political news articles. I think it would be a pretty massive improvement.

Dec 10, 2005
And then we have Ebola.

No "I'm not a doctor" in that group of politicians.

It's a crappy excuse to dodge policy issues. We don't elect politicians because they are experts in everything (as the article points out). We are electing them to set policy and then should be hiring experts in their respective fields to craft the details to implement the policies passed.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
The three stages of truth:

1) Ridicule
2) Violent Opposition
3) Acceptance

We have left stage 1 and are well into stage 2.

Liberals aren't violent don't be silly they will plant some flowers outside the dirty scumbag brain defective deniers headquarters.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
No "I'm not a doctor" in that group of politicians.

It's a crappy excuse to dodge policy issues. We don't elect politicians because they are experts in everything (as the article points out). We are electing them to set policy and then should be hiring experts in their respective fields to craft the details to implement the policies passed.

Well that's what should happen. They should let them that know do what needs to be done and when it's ready vote on it. That got dissed long ago.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
I think it's because there has been a slow shift in public acceptance of global warming and the science behind it. You see far fewer people simply denying global warming exists. The previous deniers now have changed their position to something like it exists but humans aren't that big of a factor, or it exists but it costs too much to do anything, or it won't be a problem.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Rider
And then we have Ebola.

You mentioned the e word so we'll have to quarantine you for 21 months (or is that years?).
Fixed --- You mentioned the e word so we'll have to quarantine your posts for 21 months (or is that years?).

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
“I’m not a scientist”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/u...m=0_876aab4fd7-480e724e1c-303423917&referrer=

And, as per a Republican adviser;

As well as from an anonymous Republican adviser;

So, we went from: there is no climate change,.. to just ignoring ANY denial or acknowledgement?

I suspect that post elections, they'll go back to denial. Until that time, GOPers are trying to keep as squeaky clean as possible.

Republicans admitting they are dumb as a box of rocks is a start but unfortunately that won't stop the even dumber Americans from voting for them.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

lamedude

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
They aren't gynecologist either, but that didn't stop them from passing anti abortion laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.