“Deleting index entry” i lost some files

tctu

Dec 19, 2014
Sometimes My PC check disk on startup.

Just before reboot, i still use the files as well. After a reboot, my pc check disk, then they delete them. I think "Deleting index entry" only delete index , not data. is It true?

How can i recover them?
I searched the solution, then find folder "found.00X" But i can't find the lost files.

Any idea to help me recover these files would be appreciated. I also need to help to prevent "Deleting index entry" loss my files.

Here is the log
Code:
Checking file system on D:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.                         
Deleting orphan file record segment 29143.
Deleting orphan file record segment 29148.
Deleting orphan file record segment 29152.
Deleting orphan file record segment 29155.
Deleting orphan file record segment 29179.
Index entry PL0EF5~1 of index $I30 in file 0x99 points to unused file 0x702a.
Deleting index entry PL0EF5~1 in index $I30 of file 153.
Index entry PL2BA0~1of index $I30 in file 0x99 points to unused file 0x702d.
Deleting index entry PL2BA0~1 in index $I30 of file 153.
Index entry full.mp4 of index $I30 in file 0x3ac5c points to unused file 0x7016.
Deleting index entry full.mp4 in index $I30 of file 240732.
 293603908 KB total disk space.
 109135160 KB in 659568 files.
    299360 KB in 107552 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    905852 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 183263536 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  73400977 total allocation units on disk.
  45815884 allocation units available on disk.

many thanks

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
I think "Deleting index entry" only delete index , not data. is It true?
Doesn't matter. Without a location for symbols and locations of their targets (file and directory names pointing to their data), what's the difference between the garbage that used to be useful data, and data you care about? Nothing.

How can i recover them?
Small files you'd have to look inside. Files that were big enough to be multiple fragments, you'd have to hope, even with recovery software. To have any decent chance, you'd need to have stopped it from doing chkdsk, and then not do any writing to the drive with normal use.

I searched the solution, then find folder "found.00X" But i can't find the lost files.
Assuming none of the data was overwritten, the fragments in there are those files, with larger ones being split amongst several of those files.

Any idea to help me recover these files would be appreciated. I also need to help to prevent "Deleting index entry" loss my files.
For the second part, start by assuming it's the disk, and check SMART. CrystalDiskInfo is a good utility. The raw data column is all that matters. CRC errors indicate controller, cable, or RAM problems. Offline uncorrectableand reallocated sectors indicate major problems with the drive, if they aren't very low (ideally 0).

If that's all fine, run chkdsk /f /p D: to get it to repair the file system, and then see if the problem persists. Or, just reformat the drive and copy the files back.

This may be a symptom of a problem generally unrelated to storage, but just showing up there.

tctu

Dec 19, 2014
Dear Cerb,

I think "Deleting index entry" only delete index , not data. is It true?
Because i remember the Diskspace don't change so much. I lost somefiles, there is a video file 1,5GB, so that i guess the data still is in somewhere.

I have dual boot Win XP and Win 7.
I work almost on win XP, i use win 7 for gaming only. And sometimes win 7 show chkdsk on startup. Whenever it happens, if it the show "delete index entry" i think i lost files.
Then i find out the solution, i unchecked "Allow indexing service to index this disk for fast files search" and the losing files become "minimum", but It mean i still lost some files.
I think that is the confliction XP and 7 not my driver is bad.

I run yesterday: chkdsk /f and there is no problem.
I checked S.MART, but it show ok.

I tried "Recuva" and Get back my data NTFS, but it can't show the lostfiles

I think the lost files are in somewhere like "unused partition" Is there any software to search these?
I think the main issue is "the indexing", i think i don't need it for stable using, do you know how to disable it to prevent the issue?

Last edited:

HOSED

Dec 30, 2013
Thanks for posting this issue, I always turn off indexing since I have an SSD and can wait a few seconds for a search to run. To disable Windows 7 indexing: Start | Control Panel > Indexing Options When it opens, click on the Modify button. Uncheck the hard drives that you want to disable indexing .
do you have a shared partition that both XP & 7 can access?

tctu

Dec 19, 2014
Thanks for posting this issue, I always turn off indexing since I have an SSD and can wait a few seconds for a search to run. To disable Windows 7 indexing: Start | Control Panel > Indexing Options When it opens, click on the Modify button. Uncheck the hard drives that you want to disable indexing .

TO turn off indexing, i right click on that driver > Properties > uncheck "All indexing service..." Is it good?

Both XP and 7 can access all Drivers. Off course, I install Xp on C, win 7 on D
What do you mean by that?

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Dear Cerb,

Because i remember the Diskspace don't change so much. I lost somefiles, there is a video file 1,5GB, so that i guess the data still is in somewhere.
It is likely some set of those CHK files in the FOUND directories. Maybe 50 of them put in the right order will make it. I don't know of any free software for the job, but even pay softare trying to stitch those files back together left me wanting (did things like make garbled JPEGs, and movies with bits of other movies of the same res spliced in).

I have dual boot Win XP and Win 7.
I work almost on win XP, i use win 7 for gaming only. And sometimes win 7 show chkdsk on startup. Whenever it happens, if it the show "delete index entry" i think i lost files.
Then i find out the solution, i unchecked "Allow indexing service to index this disk for fast files search" and the losing files become "minimum", but It mean i still lost some files.
I think that is the confliction XP and 7 not my driver is bad.
Probably. I didn't usually see it that direction, but would often have XP need to CHKDSK Vista or 7 volumes. While compatible between them, NTFS has changed as the OSes have gotten newer. XP could be silently 'fixing it' when you mount it and use it.

I tried "Recuva" and Get back my data NTFS, but it can't show the lostfiles
CHKDSK already did its work. Recuva helps for accidentally deleted files and the like.

I think the main issue is "the indexing", i think i don't need it for stable using, do you know how to disable it to prevent the issue?
Don't use computers :). Your HDD looks like a big list of 512 byte rows of binary data, to the OS. The file system is part of that data.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Not the same indexes. But, that indexing could be part of the problem.

tctu

Dec 19, 2014
Do you know any pay software i can hope to? Please give me the name

Don't use computers :). Your HDD looks like a big list of 512 byte rows of binary data, to the OS. The file system is part of that data.

Please give advice seriously.

Last edited: