Xbox Series X

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
It's probably CPU limited.
Looking at the PC requirements just released it looks like it has to be pretty heavy on RT. Recommended cpu is only the Ryzen 5 3600X but for gpu it recommends either RX 6800 XT or RTX 2080. Which makes no sense for raster since the 6800 XT is 45% faster than the 2080 at 1440p there per techpowerup's testsuite in their 6800 XT review. But in Cyberpunk the 6800 XT and 2080 are pretty close in RT.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Reading comments from Todd, it seems like it is a design decision. They have a very specific look they want and didn't want to compromise the visuals. Guessing we might get a 60 perf mode in some patch. Game looks kind of ridiculous from a scope perspective, we will see how much is hype and how much is real.

The combat looks MUCH improved compared to what was in the original release date trailer. I read rumors that id was brought in to overhaul the combat.

The other game at the showcase that really peaked my interest is Clockwork Revolution. (kind of a goofy name) I was extremely impressed by Wasteland 3 from Inxile, really excited to see what they do with this. Something I didn't realize, Inxile (and Obsidian) has a bunch of people from the defunct studio Troika which made Arcanum (Steampunk/fantasy hybrid RPG) in 2001 which I really enjoyed.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Reading comments from Todd, it seems like it is a design decision. They have a very specific look they want and didn't want to compromise the visuals. Guessing we might get a 60 perf mode in some patch. Game looks kind of ridiculous from a scope perspective, we will see how much is hype and how much is real.

The combat looks MUCH improved compared to what was in the original release date trailer. I read rumors that id was brought in to overhaul the combat.

The other game at the showcase that really peaked my interest is Clockwork Revolution. (kind of a goofy name) I was extremely impressed by Wasteland 3 from Inxile, really excited to see what they do with this. Something I didn't realize, Inxile (and Obsidian) has a bunch of people from the defunct studio Troika which made Arcanum (Steampunk/fantasy hybrid RPG) in 2001 which I really enjoyed.
Well yeah he's not going to say we have to rush the game to meet a deadline and thus the optimization sucks.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
MS is raising the price of the Series X in some countries but not the US.

They are also raising the price of Gamepass. That includes the US.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

-Nevermind Troika, Obsidian and InXile are basically the legacy of the GOAT of all CRPG studios: Black Isle.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
FTC made a big booboo and leaked a whole lot of MS confidential info. One of the things is that they are planning is a digital only Series X with double the storage space and no other changes seemingly... framing it as a "Mid Gen Refresh".

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
FTC made a big booboo and leaked a whole lot of MS confidential info. One of the things is that they are planning is a digital only Series X with double the storage space and no other changes seemingly... framing it as a "Mid Gen Refresh".
It wasn't the FTC, it was someone in the Microsoft chain who was uploading documents to the court.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
6 nm vs 7nm, no optical drive, looks like a Mac Pro trash can, 2TB of storage and not interesting at all at the same price. Power optimized layout, updated southbridge.

Losing the UHD/back compat drive is a blow, as is no price cut. Should be one or the other, not both.

And making it a cylinder sorta blows my mind.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
6 nm vs 7nm, no optical drive, looks like a Mac Pro trash can, 2TB of storage and not interesting at all at the same price. Power optimized layout, updated southbridge.

Losing the UHD/back compat drive is a blow, as is no price cut. Should be one or the other, not both.

And making it a cylinder sorta blows my mind.

Apple gave us the Trash Can, Microsoft the Trash Box? I was expecting a slight bump in Series S specs at least, but guess not.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
My partner got an Xbox X for the kids for Christmas. I currently have an external SSD on our Xbox One. Will this give acceptable performance on the X, or should I pick up one of those plug in storage expansion cards?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
My partner got an Xbox X for the kids for Christmas. I currently have an external SSD on our Xbox One. Will this give acceptable performance on the X, or should I pick up one of those plug in storage expansion cards?

I think you have to buy the storage expansion cards. The external SSD won't work with Series native games.

Reactions: dainthomas

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I think you have to buy the storage expansion cards. The external SSD won't work with Series native games.
You can still use USB storage for older games. Also, you can store Series native games on there and shuttle back and forth if you are patient enough and don't want to spend extra money.

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Not sure where to post this but some of the Bing rewards amounts have went down from 5-10 points to 1 to 2 points each. I'm not going to waste my time with it if this continues. There have also been a bunch of Bing rewards account suspended. Some are also reporting not being able to redeem a bunch of points for multiple gift cards like they did in the past. I cashed out today by getting a $47 amazon gift card just in case. This is a bad look just before the holidays.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I did the thing where you flip 3 years of Gold into Game Pass Ultimate for a $1 in February of 2021. It will lapse in a couple weeks and I am not renewing. For $17 a month I can buy a game or two a year.

I did pick up an play a few games and had fun, like Hades and Donut Country that I started on a whim, but those were few and far between.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
With all the rumors and stuff swirling about Xbox basically putting all their games on PS5, this doesn't bode very well for the future of the Xbox console.

Note "Microsoft Game Pass" is the name now...
Someone must have forgotten to tell MS, because it is still Xbox Gamepass branding on all their sites. At this point, don't believe anything posted about this mess, people are just making shit up at this point.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Even if they start selling their games on other platforms I'm not sure it'll be the death of the Xbox. They still make all the Surface lines while selling all the same software to competitors.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Even if they start selling their games on other platforms I'm not sure it'll be the death of the Xbox. They still make all the Surface lines while selling all the same software to competitors.
I think when people say "death of Xbox" they are referring specifically to the Xbox consoles. The Xbox platform will exist for a long time imo that ain't going anywhere.

Reactions: igor_kavinski