Question [WTFTech] 3050 6 GB possibly coming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 10, 2005
It isn't slot powered, LP or ITX. It's an entirely different market from what I expect most of these 3050s to be.
Sure, it isn't slot powered. But if you're restricted to that condition, you're competing against integrated graphics. I suspect the market would be very small for this, considering the group of people that this could serve: like having a really crappy baseline systems that needs a dedicated GPU, can only use slot power and are PCie 3.0 (ruling out the cutdown to 4x RX6400/6500), and potentially needing something that is low profile, and are willing to spend $200+.

Reactions: Tlh97

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Those restricted to slot-powered GPUs or using it for transcode are the only people who should care about such a crappy, old graphics card. But that's still a market - presumably the people buying 1650s.

For everyone else there's literally anything else.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Sure, it isn't slot powered. But if you're restricted to that condition, you're competing against integrated graphics. I suspect the market would be very small for this, considering the group of people that this could serve: like having a really crappy baseline systems that needs a dedicated GPU, can only use slot power and are PCie 3.0 (ruling out the cutdown to 4x RX6400/6500), and potentially needing something that is low profile, and are willing to spend $200+.
Have you seen how many sellers are buying those used office PCs by the pallet? They meme the RGB sells PCs, maybe put a vinyl wrap on it, most add a drop down options list for components, and sell them as gaming PCs. If you look at the number sold it's often in the 100s or 1000s for any one of the models from any one of the sellers. Being able to market RTX while not worrying about power draw, connectors, or space limitations = winner.

The OG 3050 was outselling the 6600 even with the gap being $30-$50 more. This will be no different. We don't even know the pricing yet either. It shows up at $159 like the 1650 did, and it'll win what is a bigger market than some seem to assume. 6GB+RTX+LP+ITX+slot powered = profit.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Benchlife seems to think the MSRP of the 3050 6 GB will be $179 or $189.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

Benchlife seems to think the MSRP of the 3050 6 GB will be $179 or $189.
Did the original article get updated? The Videocardz one from the 6th suggested it'd probably be GA106, but the new one is suggesting a cut down GA107. That really makes more sense, but it also shouldn't be sold as the same card. A 70W 6GB RTX3050 with 2048 shaders should absolutely not have the same name as a 130W 8GB RTX3050 with 2560. It's good it's cheaper and all, but it should be a 3030/3040/3040Ti. There's going to be a bigger performance delta there than there was with the 3GB and 6GB 1060s.

Have you seen how many sellers are buying those used office PCs by the pallet? They meme the RGB sells PCs, maybe put a vinyl wrap on it, most add a drop down options list for components, and sell them as gaming PCs. If you look at the number sold it's often in the 100s or 1000s for any one of the models from any one of the sellers. Being able to market RTX while not worrying about power draw, connectors, or space limitations = winner.

The OG 3050 was outselling the 6600 even with the gap being $30-$50 more. This will be no different. We don't even know the pricing yet either. It shows up at $159 like the 1650 did, and it'll win what is a bigger market than some seem to assume. 6GB+RTX+LP+ITX+slot powered = profit.
Sucks you limit the outputs if you go half height, but having a half-height one with an extra bracket would open up a whole world of off lease office systems. I expect to still see some with a 6pin just to give more clock room, but I don't imagine they'll be popular.
1702144361902.png

On the plus side, with your new i5-6500 (8GB single channel ram)/6GB 3050/mechanical HDD gaming PC you'll really be able to appreciate the RTC reflections in Cyberpunk when every frame is on screen for 5 seconds.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Did the original article get updated? The Videocardz one from the 6th suggested it'd probably be GA106, but the new one is suggesting a cut down GA107. That really makes more sense, but it also shouldn't be sold as the same card. A 70W 6GB RTX3050 with 2048 shaders should absolutely not have the same name as a 130W 8GB RTX3050 with 2560. It's good it's cheaper and all, but it should be a 3030/3040/3040Ti.

That is my expectation yes. The 3050 8 GB can be either GA106 or GA107 but I'm not sure if GA106 is still in production at this point.

You're right though, they should call it the 3040.

Dec 10, 2005

Sure, there is a market there - one that largely exists because sellers are able to prey on unsuspecting and naive consumers. Not something I'd really be celebrating.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Sure, there is a market there - one that largely exists because sellers are able to prey on unsuspecting and naive consumers. Not something I'd really be celebrating.
The preying is really only because of the pricing and gaudiness of those "Gaming PCs" though. The actual idea is fine; you can pick up a Sky/Kaby Lake i5 HP or Lenovo system with 8GB and an SSD for $50 with very little effort used. If you can get a 70W card in the 150-200 range you can toss into that along with maybe another 8GB RAM for <$20, that's a decent little gaming PC for under $250. Something like the 6GB 3050 should really be a $150 card or less, but that doesn't seem likely to happen.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
The preying is really only because of the pricing and gaudiness of those "Gaming PCs" though. The actual idea is fine; you can pick up a Sky/Kaby Lake i5 HP or Lenovo system with 8GB and an SSD for $50 with very little effort used. If you can get a 70W card in the 150-200 range you can toss into that along with maybe another 8GB RAM for <$20, that's a decent little gaming PC for under $250. Something like the 6GB 3050 should really be a $150 card or less, but that doesn't seem likely to happen.

-Its how I "got into" PC building, actually. Dad had gotten me a POS Powerspec from our local microcenter way back when and my buddy gave me his old MX200 or garbage tier GeForce card and bam, I had the bug.

Cut my teeth on basically Thessus' Ship-ping that PC before I built my first from scratch.

Excellent "gateway drug" into the DIY space.

Jul 27, 2020
my buddy gave me his old MX200 or garbage tier GeForce card
Yeah. It was garbage for the price. A guy I knew paid for the ASUS version that cost a bit more than my cheap MX400 and mine was so much better. He was surprised to see that it ran as well as it did. He didn't regret his purchase though coz it was ASUS :rolleyes: Be glad you didnt pay full price for the MX200.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
-Its how I "got into" PC building, actually. Dad had gotten me a POS Powerspec from our local microcenter way back when and my buddy gave me his old MX200 or garbage tier GeForce card and bam, I had the bug.

Cut my teeth on basically Thessus' Ship-ping that PC before I built my first from scratch.

Excellent "gateway drug" into the DIY space.
This is how 1000s of middle school and H.S. kids get into PC gaming. Or some variation of it. Be it the old family PC or watching one of the eleventy million youtube videos on turning an old Optiplex or similar system into a ultra budget gamer. Then buying one off of ebay or another marketplace and upgrading it via the tutorial. Of course many parents just buy the ones already setup and blinged out.

And yeah, $150 or less is the ideal price for this card. But that green Hi-C ectoplasm cooler Nvidia mixes up is too tasty. The 8GB 3050 like every 30 and 40 series card, showed most will pay more for less if it's RTX. Unless sales tank compared to the competition, Nvidia and their board partners will continue to levy the Nvidia tax.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
I heard that Intel is still trying to get into the graphic card market with an improved 2024 Alchemy line!

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
This is how 1000s of middle school and H.S. kids get into PC gaming. Or some variation of it. Be it the old family PC or watching one of the eleventy million youtube videos on turning an old Optiplex or similar system into a ultra budget gamer. Then buying one off of ebay or another marketplace and upgrading it via the tutorial. Of course many parents just buy the ones already setup and blinged out.

And yeah, $150 or less is the ideal price for this card. But that green Hi-C ectoplasm cooler Nvidia mixes up is too tasty. The 8GB 3050 like every 30 and 40 series card, showed most will pay more for less if it's RTX. Unless sales tank compared to the competition, Nvidia and their board partners will continue to levy the Nvidia tax.

-Nowadays with laptops doing the heavy lifting on the PC front, there are going to be far fewer kids getting into DIY the way they used to. Figure it has to be more of a conscious decision now as opposed to something you did out of convenience.

Reactions: SteinFG
Jul 27, 2020
Figure it has to be more of a conscious decision now as opposed to something you did out of convenience.
Smart kids would still get into DIY when they realize that DIY just makes more sense in terms of finances and flexibility. A laptop's useful life might be two years max after which it will start feeling long in the tooth if it's being used for anything more than casual browsing. Once someone is addicted to the power of a dGPU, there's just no turning back.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
While I find igor's post highly exaggerative, I do think kids will keep going DIY or cheap prebuilt because you get more bang for buck from desktops. $300 doesn't buy much in laptops, but you can put together a solid desktop gamer for that.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
While I find igor's post highly exaggerative, I do think kids will keep going DIY or cheap prebuilt because you get more bang for buck from desktops. $300 doesn't buy much in laptops, but you can put together a solid desktop gamer for that.

That seems tough unless you gonna pirate Windows. A legit license is $100.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The vast majority of those refurbed office PCs this card is perfect for, include windows with them or have a license tied to the board. Adding no additional cost.

Microsoft, like the rest, is most interested in user data now. And if they had a problem with us buying $10 keys, there's no way Youtube would allow everyone to heavily advertise the key sellers the way they have for years.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I'm actually quite surprised they stopped allowing Win7/8 keys to be used with new installs of Win10/11. No one taking an old Optiplex and loading up Windows 11 on it is actually going to spend money on a license, and it gets people into the newest OS and possibly integrating with a MS account and the Windows Store and apps.

Jul 27, 2020
I'm actually quite surprised they stopped allowing Win7/8 keys to be used with new installs of Win10/11.
Someone must have done a cost calculation on the amount of old keys activated in a given period and the bosses must've been like, $$$$! Probably a raise for the bastard who brought it to their attention.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Someone must have done a cost calculation on the amount of old keys activated in a given period and the bosses must've been like, $$$$! Probably a raise for the bastard who brought it to their attention.
"Activation department tells me we had 400k 4th gen Intel systems upgrade to Windows 11 last month. If stop giving that away free and they buy a $200 retail Win11Pro license for their $50 computer instead, that's an easy billion a year in guaranteed new revenue!" /s

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
That's what I'm talking about. CDKeys/etc isn't legit.
I can't understand why people buy those keys when they're just talking yourself into it not being piracy because you gave someone some money for it. Not like it's difficult to pirate Windows 10 or 11. Microsoft even considers it piracy if you buy an OEM license to use on your own system as opposed to a system you sell and provide support for.