Question What uses are there for dual CPU systems?

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
Any reason to have 2 CPU's? I'm sure there are specialty applications that can use both CPU's like engineering or financial or high end video processing but any other reason to get one?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
For virtually all standard consumer uses, no, there really isn't.

Rendering and scientific applications? Yes.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
If you do rendering or dozens of VMs and containers? Minmaxing. Used 2P server boards have been able to offer more MT throughput per $. Though I haven't looked at eBay prices lately.

Can't think of another reason in the era when 56/64/96 core processors are marketed to prosumers. 1 CPU is now more than enough.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
  • consolidation of 2 nodes into 1
  • up to twice the memory bandwidth per node
  • higher possible memory capacity per node (depends on mainboard layout of course)
  • potentially wider I/O per node (depends on how much of the I/O gets "lost" to inter-socket comms)
Many years ago, when I built my own first two 2P home computers, I ran workloads on them which were similar to classic CFD (computational fluid dynamics) which desires memory bandwidth. I even planned to combine them into an Infiniband cluster but in the end did not get to this point. Edit: Before I had these 2P computers, I ran the same workload on an Ethernet cluster of desktop computers, so a good deal of aggregate memory bandwidth was already there, but the communications overhead was a real drag. It goes without saying that consolidating one simulation instance onto a single host gave it a real boost.

Later I continued to build 2P home computers although the workloads which I then ran on them (Distributed Computing) would work on Ethernet linked 1P nodes just as well. But I preferred to have twice the throughput per operating system instance.

When I built my first (and so far only) SP5 computer, I went back to 1P because none of the available air coolers convinced me, such that I preferred one water-cooled 320...400 W socket per node over two air-cooled 150...220 W sockets per node.

Last edited:

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
If you do rendering or dozens of VMs and containers? Minmaxing. Used 2P server boards have been able to offer more MT throughput per $. Though I haven't looked at eBay prices lately.

Can't think of another reason in the era when 56/64/96 core processors are marketed to prosumers. 1 CPU is now more than enough.
Asking because they are cheap and kind of cool. If only I had some weather patterns to analyze. I haven't looked a lot but I assume they come with bigger power supplies. I think the Dell T7820 come with a 1400w. You can run just one CPU from what I have read.