Question What happened to all the PC speakers?

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I was having some problems with my old Logitech Z-5300 speakers and was looking for possible replacement. There is not much to pick from new anymore. I picked up a control pod which turned out to be the problem. Fortunately, there are a lot of used sets to pick from on ebay for not too much money. I got a set of Z506's for my bedroom computer for less than 100USD.

Feb 25, 2011
Crappy stereo speakers are built into most monitors now. Good enough for a lot of people. Gamer marketing seems to focus on headsets now, and in my limited experience, the stereo cans seems to work better for directional sound effects than 5.1/7.1 surround sound did.

Logitech still makes plenty of woofer/sat speaker rigs, as well as smaller stereo speakers.

You may just be looking in the wrong place? Dunno.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
They are mostly garbage anyway. Get active minitors. Example

Yamaha HS4

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I think most regular people are moving to sound bars, instead of separate speakers...
Sound Bars can be pretty bad at generating "better" sound.

Not an audiophile, but I do take listening to music seriously as I like analyzing the tracks to understand composition. Somehow, a Dell G5 2023 was able to produce drum and similar range sound far better than the other products I have tried, which includes a pair a 100 dollar headphones along with common laptop speakers.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
Crappy stereo speakers are built into most monitors now. Good enough for a lot of people. Gamer marketing seems to focus on headsets now, and in my limited experience, the stereo cans seems to work better for directional sound effects than 5.1/7.1 surround sound did.

Logitech still makes plenty of woofer/sat speaker rigs, as well as smaller stereo speakers.

You may just be looking in the wrong place? Dunno.
Lots of 2.1's but almost no 5.1's.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Years ago I moved to bookshelf speakers with a separate amp and have not looked back.

There are lots of small amp modules out there, need not be something that is anywhere near rack sized. Some of the class D modules out there are quite powerful for their size and cost, will happily run off a repurposed laptop brick PSU. Of course a purist would want at least class A/B if not A but I digress. Class D is fine for general computer use including gaming.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
It's not about loudness, it's about being able to reproduce the frequecies.
I almost never listen to music so my requirements are pretty minimal, decent base and volume without distortion and positional affects for games. I am not an audiophile at all.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I feel like Klipsch has been selling essentially the same set of speakers for like 2-3 decades now, at essentially the same MSRP, and they’re probably the only speakers worth buying. I think what happened was the OEM speakers built into your monitor or PC itself got upgraded from tinny static to passable—so most people don’t bother buying speakers anymore or just use headphones.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I feel like Klipsch has been selling essentially the same set of speakers for like 2-3 decades now, at essentially the same MSRP, and they’re probably the only speakers worth buying. I think what happened was the OEM speakers built into your monitor or PC itself got upgraded from tinny static to passable—so most people don’t bother buying speakers anymore or just use headphones.
There is no need to upgrade their speakers. I don't think anything has changed in 30 years speaker wise. No one wants full sized components I guess so headphones and sound bars. As I mentioned before there are 2.1 sets but the 5.1's have all but disappeared. You can still get the Z906's I think. I have a set of Z5300 THX certified speakers and a set of Altec Lansing ACS45 both have been working fine for 30 years. Love both of those. I run 3 computer/TV setups at home so want speakers for each. I use the Z506's in my bedroom because the Z5300's are too big. I had been using the Altec Lansings but want to upgrade from 2.1 to 5.1.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Good 2.0 >>>>>> crappy 5.1
I used to have a 2.1 and a 5.1 setup. Always hated the sound. Then I purchased 2.0 powered speakers. Real poly mids and a soft-cloth dome tweeter. Banana plugs for input and output. Great imaging and sound quality. Super accurate and non fatiguing.