What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1071 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
The Tommy Bahama shirts I bought the other day came in and they were to big. I ordered larges which usually fit me but these didn't. Just way to big for my frame.

So now I have to package them back up and attach a shipping label to the box then leave the box on the porch so the FedEx driver can pick it up and return them.

What a hassle. I don't know how other places handle this but it has got to be better than this.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The Tommy Bahama shirts I bough the other day came in and they were to big. I ordered larges which usually fit me but these didn't.

So now I have to package them back up and attach a shipping label to the box then leave the box on the porch so the FedEx driver can pick it up and return them.

What a hassle. I don't know how other places handle this but it has got to be better than this.
You are shrinking...

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
@bbhaag I'd order 3 pairs of Dockers from Macys, same size/color. 1 would fit, the other 2, not. When I had time, I'd return the other 2 the store for a credit.

No way the store would have what I wanted on hand.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I am growing, horizontally.
Yep...side note, don't forget your feet. They spread, too. My ortho told after some metatarsalis shit. The size shoe that I've been wearing my whole adult life....too narrow now. No wonder my feet hurt. Now, I'm a bit fucked but working on it.

Hoka or On cloud, for you standing peps?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Sometime in the past month, Walmart raised the prices of all their store-brand cookie packages by about a buck! I thought maybe it was a chocolate thing, but their shortbread cookies went up too!

Maybe it will help with this:
I am growing, horizontally.
But probably not.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yep...side note, don't forget your feet. They spread, too. My ortho told after some metatarsalis shit. The size shoe that I've been wearing my whole adult life....too narrow now. No wonder my feet hurt. Now, I'm a bit fucked but working on it.

Hoka or On cloud, for you standing peps?
Custom ortho inserts. I just find shoes that have removable insert that fit.

Reactions: highland145

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Don't order garbage from Amazon. There's your problem. Will it cost a bit more to either get it from a brick and mortar store, or a reliable source? Sure. But it's worth it.

I don't order electronics from Amazon anymore. It's either B&H online, or best buy in person. Yes I know you're in Canada so the stores will differ. But Amazon is just a cesspool of shit now.

I usually avoid it too but it was the easiest way to get free shipping. The other computer sites charge shipping so it's not worth it unless I'm making a huge order.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Last weekend I was mowing my lawn and saw like 8 dandelions in my front yard. I looked at my neighbors on each side. They look like fucking dandelion farms.

Today I ran to lowes to get some weed and feed. I got home hooked it up to the hose started spraying my lawn. Holy crap. My lawn is messed up. I probably wont have it fixed until the middle of summer. Maybe next year...

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I wish I had a dandelion farm. I've been planting clover the last couple years. So far, I'm unimpressed with the results, but it's still early. I'm hoping last year's clover takes off and kicks ass. I also have crimson clover target spread. That grows taller, so not as good as a general cover, but the flowers looks fantastic.

Nov 17, 2019
I've got LOADS of clover. When it blooms the Honeybees are everywhere. I have to mow in sections to leave enough for them while trying not to let the rest get out of hand.

Reactions: lxskllr

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wish I had a dandelion farm. I've been planting clover the last couple years. So far, I'm unimpressed with the results, but it's still early. I'm hoping last year's clover takes off and kicks ass. I also have crimson clover target spread. That grows taller, so not as good as a general cover, but the flowers looks fantastic.

My yard is basically a dandelion farm in the summer months. I hear you can make wine with those, so technically I live on a vineyard.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So I solved the SD card saga. Turns out it was in fact the reader. I had no idea there was even a limitation to how big of cards they can write but apparently they do. At least I assume that's what it is, because the old reader works fine with smaller cards just not these new big ones. Managed to copy 100GB of data with zero IO errors.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I had the Athletic subscription via the NYT subscription. The Athletic, I feel, is the best comprehensive sports website out there - encompassing all your live scoring along with great reporting. I cancelled the NYT since their political reporting has shit the bed in a very biased way. But The Athletic was still working for me the last few weeks, until today. Those fuckers figured it out finally. Oh well. I will stick to inferior sports websites for now. Hate ESPN. So now it will be a sub-par sports experience. Not like sports are a big focus in my life, but when I read about it, I want one solid website.

Also, the crap plastic drawer slide my Frigidaire uses to hold my deli drawer underneath the top shelf broke a month ago. It cracked where it connected to the top shelf in the front. Of course it's all plastic so I superglued it back and it actually held! For a month. That ended last week, so I had to order a new rail. All the main appliance part websites were around 50 bucks for a replacement, for cheap plastic trash. I was like wtf. Amazon came through for just over 20 bucks. So today installing the new rail, I got impatient and did it with the glass shelf at the same time. I had to take the shelf out because I had to screw it in from the back. The metal on the shelf was slightly bent so the screw hole wasn't aligning close enough, so I banged it into shape.

No I did not hammer the glass. But I did lose my grip and the glass fell down a couple feet and shattered into a couple thousand lovely tempered glass pieces.

That replacement was 80-100 bucks on all the appliance sites, but 33 bucks on Amazon.

Luckily I broke it before I cleaned it, which was the next move. The rail is now attached to the glass-less shelf.

I also verified I have some great vacuum cleaners, they socked that shit right up in their gullets!

Reactions: snoopy7548

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I guess I was sleepy this morning. I kept flipping the light switch and getting frustrated that the faucet wouldn't turn off. :)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I guess I was sleepy this morning. I kept flipping the light switch and getting frustrated that the faucet wouldn't turn off. :)

You ever walk from your car to your house and try to unlock the front door by pressing the car unlock button instead of taking out the front door key?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Soooo one thing I liked to do with my old cat is pick her up and put her on my shoulders, and she'd climb on my back.

I do not recommend trying that with a cat that has claws.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Two weeks ago I was sitting and thinking how there's nothing I want to buy. Well not in my price range. There used to always be something on my list, but it's been empty for a few months. And I haven't been able to come up with anything to add to it. I thought I had procured everything in my budget I wanted.

I was on YT and in my video suggestion was a sim racing setup. I watched it, and it got me watching more videos and Googling. And I went deep down that rabit hole. And now I have a new "hobby" not surprisingly can get pretty pricey if you do it even half right. I've never even owned a wheel controller, but now I need a whole setup with the cockpit and all this other shit I didn't even know existed before last week. Fanatec sell's an actual steering wheel from a BMW M4 GT3. I can't pretend race people online using a Logitech or whatever wheel. And you can't F1 sim with a regular steering wheel. If you're gonna pretend you gotta go all the way in. There's also authentic Mcclarean wheels, which are a bargin at $1100 compared to $1500 for the BMW one. Although, I don't think my woman will find either to be a particularly "good deal" And I don't think she'll support my new passion of becoming a world class online race car driver.

When I show her the list of what I'm planning to buy, she's either going to strangle me, or castrate me. The ironic part is 2 months ago, on a sure of the momeht thing, I bought 7 pairs of BMW M4, Mercedes AMG-Petronas F1 and Ferrari Scuderia driving shoes and a bunch of outfits from Puma. Because they looked cool as shit. She was not happy about that (at all lol) Well she was happy that I had some nice looking new clothes, but was upset for some reason that I ordered 27 things. Can't say I blame her I guess.

This is a 1stworldproblem because if I lived in a 3rd world country, there's no way I could do anything but dream about a full sim rig. I'm sure in a 3rd world country a $25 Logitech wheel from 1998 would be GOAT status. But God bless America, I can pretend race people around the world in a racing rig fit for a king - VROOM VROOM!

But seriously, holy shit the sim racing scene is mind blowing, some of the setups I'm seeing are fucking nuts. And these simgeeks take this shit serious like it's real life racing.

Why can I never discover a hobby that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
House insurance renewal soon and I noticed they still had my house as being mortgaged. I am pretty sure I told them it was paid off. Spent an hour waiting to talk to someone. Thirty seconds after I got someone I got out on hold again.
At least now it is resolved. Premium dropped 15%

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
House insurance renewal soon and I noticed they still had my house as being mortgaged. I am pretty sure I told them it was paid off. Spent an hour waiting to talk to someone. Thirty seconds after I got someone I got out on hold again.
At least now it is resolved. Premium dropped 15%
Truck insurance went up 41%...it's 14 years old. Effing EVs.