Question UniFi System - Fiber from Office Building to Utility Pole - Help

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
I need to set up PoE cameras on a utility pole (not town owned, private) and those cameras need to view the building.

I'm considering running fiber from the office, underground, to the pole and converting to copper.

Equipment that I've researched:
  • Unifi Utility - This would power the switch and house it -- Power on the pole in a weather proof box
  • USW-Flex Switch
  • UFiber Outdoor Terminal Box - This would house the UFiber Active Ethernet
  • UFiber Active Ethernet -- Would running a CAT6 from the Flex switch to this power it?
    • Connect underground fiber to this
  • Connect PoE Camera(s) to Flex Switch -- How do I ground this or is that needed?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
For anything like this, I would really recommend consulting with a local electrician who specializes in low voltage systems and data networks. You are running into areas, especially as a business/office building that have specific rules that will need to be followed. You don't want to be the person to DIY this (even if you did it correctly) and be blamed for a fire 3-10 years down the road.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
This is for a storage unit, not an office building. Looking for direction and suggestions. I don't think that I'll contact a special electrician that does data. We will have an electrician install a properly grounded and weathered outlet @ the pole though.