Question TV size selection

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
Greetings,

I know this subject was asked more than once, so I apologized as I need some more expert angle here
I'm about the enter a new house, my SO wants a better TV so I'm in the market for a new one.
the length between the two wall in the living room is 4 meters, if I take large error margin, I calculated the needed TV
size to 80".
however my SO pulled a veto on it stating it is too big, infact I tend to agree as I saw 75" at a family member's house and it looks huge.
so I'm force to consider smaller TVs
I thought of 65'-55' will that suffice?

Thanks.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I use a projector and that allows you to change the size by how far you put it from the wall.

UST projectors are inches from the wall for 80+

Short throw options can be a couple of feet for the same size

The other thing to consider if 4K resolution

Budget makes the considerations different as well.

For the current market and budget of ~$2K the Hisense PX1-Pro would be my top pick. If you're looking to be cutting edge they just released a PX2-Pro that doubles the contrast and adds 200 ANSI to the brightness.

Traditional LCD/LED monitors though work fine as well. 60" for most situations is just fine unless you have a huge space to fill or are blind and want a bigger picture. Its all a personal thing though when it comes to the decision as we all see things differently. When comparing proj's I noticed what i figured would be the best option being a native 4K display to be a bit fuzzy compared to the 4K that's muxed from a 1080x4 being clearer and richer experience.

TV's are easier to just throw into place as they don't vary as much when it comes to picture / brightness in most situations.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
I sit about 8' away from my TV, which is about 2.5m. I have an 83" LG OLED. It's not too big. In fact, I wish it were a bit larger, maybe 100" diagonal.
65" is way too small at 4m viewing distance. You won't be able to tell the difference between 1080 and 2160 resolution.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
You already know that you need a 80 inch set. I suggest the Samsung 77" S95C, or wait for Sony to release the A95L, sometime this month. I'm waiting for the Sony 77 inch A95L, but came oh so close to getting the S95C. Both sets are QD-OLED. I have a 75 inch QLED Samsung now, and sit about 13 feet from it. Too big??? Please...

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
I use a projector and that allows you to change the size by how far you put it from the wall.

UST projectors are inches from the wall for 80+

Short throw options can be a couple of feet for the same size

The other thing to consider if 4K resolution

Budget makes the considerations different as well.

For the current market and budget of ~$2K the Hisense PX1-Pro would be my top pick. If you're looking to be cutting edge they just released a PX2-Pro that doubles the contrast and adds 200 ANSI to the brightness.

Traditional LCD/LED monitors though work fine as well. 60" for most situations is just fine unless you have a huge space to fill or are blind and want a bigger picture. Its all a personal thing though when it comes to the decision as we all see things differently. When comparing proj's I noticed what i figured would be the best option being a native 4K display to be a bit fuzzy compared to the 4K that's muxed from a 1080x4 being clearer and richer experience.

TV's are easier to just throw into place as they don't vary as much when it comes to picture / brightness in most situations.
this idea seems nice but I already have ac outlet, antenna outlet and a cobra tunnel in the wall. so I'll need to buy a Projection Screen to hand on the wall.
with 2K of a projector, I'm already way over my budget.
I sit about 8' away from my TV, which is about 2.5m. I have an 83" LG OLED. It's not too big. In fact, I wish it were a bit larger, maybe 100" diagonal.
65" is way too small at 4m viewing distance. You won't be able to tell the difference between 1080 and 2160 resolution.
so with 65', I'll need a telescope to watch 4k content?
You already know that you need a 80 inch set. I suggest the Samsung 77" S95C, or wait for Sony to release the A95L, sometime this month. I'm waiting for the Sony 77 inch A95L, but came oh so close to getting the S95C. Both sets are QD-OLED. I have a 75 inch QLED Samsung now, and sit about 13 feet from it. Too big??? Please...
I cannot afford the A95L, nor the S95C
different people can have different opinions...

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Don't see the issue. If you think 75" is huge, settle for the next smaller size. It will be smaller than ideal for this distance, but depends a bit on what you're used to as well. Maybe you need a 65" to get used to that size and then in a few years you will be ready to go larger.

I would not get an Android based Hisense, had one with too much trouble from their buggy OS builds which crashed for months and eventually bricked the TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
Don't see the issue. If you think 75" is huge, settle for the next smaller size. It will be smaller than ideal for this distance, but depends a bit on what you're used to as well. Maybe you need a 65" to get used to that size and then in a few years you will be ready to go larger.

I would not get an Android based Hisense, had one with too much trouble from their buggy OS builds which crashed for months and eventually bricked the TV.
I'm used to 37" FHD for 3.6 meters between the screen and the couch. gradual increase seems a good idea, I just don't want to buy one only to replace it soon after because it is wrong.

I'm planing to buy either samsung/lg/sony/philips/toshiba

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
this https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs-soundbars/oled/oled65a16la/ and this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09YM17...374&creativeASIN=B09YM17VTB&linkCode=df0&th=1 are models I've looked into it.
the samsung one is a bit above my budget which stands on 1500 usd give or take
The LG you picked has been discontinued. If you know a store that is still selling it, and you want it, move fast. The Samsung S95B is also from last year, but I still see it for sale around here. Best Buy still has it, but it's $100 over budget.

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
The LG you picked has been discontinued. If you know a store that is still selling it, and you want it, move fast. The Samsung S95B is also from last year, but I still see it for sale around here. Best Buy still has it, but it's $100 over budget.
actually where I live, we have such models in stores.
in general, which is better?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I have a 75" LG 4k tv in my room and I view it at about 7 feet away and I wish I went 80 or more. Nothing beats viewing a large screen. I say get the biggest you can afford.
My TV is Nanocell as I dislike OLED.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
Only get an OLED if your family members know how to take care of it.

Don't leave it running on some sports/news channel.

Watching varied content on it is good (games, movies or Netflix etc.). Any channel that has a very prominent logo must not be viewed constantly.

Always put the TV in sleep mode when not using it. Don't switch off from the mains plug.

Using it as a PC display is fine but if you spend a lot of time staring at icons or applications with fixed UI elements, it is better to restrict your PC usage to a monitor.

Failure to do all of the above MAY result in burn-in damage. However, every panel is different so it depends on your luck.

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
I have a 75" LG 4k tv in my room and I view it at about 7 feet away and I wish I went 80 or more. Nothing beats viewing a large screen. I say get the biggest you can afford.
My TV is Nanocell as I dislike OLED.
its not a biggest I can afford issue, I have size limitation defined by my SO, as stated above
why do you dislike OLED and why do you prefer Nanocell?
Only get an OLED if your family members know how to take care of it.

Don't leave it running on some sports/news channel.

Watching varied content on it is good (games, movies or Netflix etc.). Any channel that has a very prominent logo must not be viewed constantly.

Always put the TV in sleep mode when not using it. Don't switch off from the mains plug.

Using it as a PC display is fine but if you spend a lot of time staring at icons or applications with fixed UI elements, it is better to restrict your PC usage to a monitor.

Failure to do all of the above MAY result in burn-in damage. However, every panel is different so it depends on your luck.
please define "family members know how to take care of it."
the usage varies between show, movies, radio/music (which uses spectrum visualization) and my kid's shows.
my current LG goes dark after a few minutes if TV is not in use (I use a self built htpc).
can any of that might pose "danger" to the TV?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
actually where I live, we have such models in stores.
in general, which is better?
I'm hooked on QD-OLED, so the The Samsung S95B gets my vote. The only reason I don't own it now, is that 65" was the largest size. My other problem I had with it, is that it doesn't support Dolby vision.

Jul 27, 2020
please define "family members know how to take care of it."
the usage varies between show, movies, radio/music (which uses spectrum visualization) and my kid's shows.
my current LG goes dark after a few minutes if TV is not in use (I use a self built htpc).
can any of that might pose "danger" to the TV?
Problem is, how do you define not in use if the TV is left on with CNN running, for example? The TV can't detect that no human is watching it so it will keep running and any channel with static onscreen elements like logos will pose a threat to the OLED pixels. Family members should know that the TV must not be left running unattended and especially a news channel must not run on it for prolonged periods of several hours a day. That visualization thing could be fine if it changes dynamically but if it has any static elements, that's also not good.

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
I'm hooked on QD-OLED, so the The Samsung S95B gets my vote. The only reason I don't own it now, is that 65" was the largest size. My other problem I had with it, is that it doesn't support Dolby vision.
I need to learn what QD-OLED means, will look into it

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
Problem is, how do you define not in use if the TV is left on with CNN running, for example? The TV can't detect that no human is watching it so it will keep running and any channel with static onscreen elements like logos will pose a threat to the OLED pixels. Family members should know that the TV must not be left running unattended and especially a news channel must not run on it for prolonged periods of several hours a day. That visualization thing could be fine if it changes dynamically but if it has any static elements, that's also not good.
it isn't on when not needed.
only if someone watches something or the radio is on.
otherwise, the tv is off

Reactions: igor_kavinski

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Get the bigger display. Your SO looking at one once and thinking it's too big is a horrible choice. You'll be better off getting an 82" than a 65" as almost everyone eventually wishes they went with a larger display over a smaller one. She'll get over it very quickly when she spends any amount of time using it. I'd guess that the number of people that bought a new tv and after a few months said "my god it's too big" is very small indeed.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Excuse the phrase pussy whipped. Get whatever she wants.

It really does not make that much difference. If what you are watching is quality, you will be interested instead of mesmerized by the size of it.

It's almost an OMG moment, when people pretend that you can't enjoy a show if the heads of people aren't as big as your entire body, lol.

There is a distinction. If you have a theater room where the only purpose is watching video, then it needs to be big. If it is instead in your living room and sometimes other people want to just relax and aren't into what you want to watch, then it's kind of offensive to immerse them into a show they don't want to watch. ;) However that includes the volume not just the screen size.

I do not subscribe to the idea to get as large as possible, rather to consider what you're used to at the same viewing distance... and then move it up a notch... get used to larger, and larger, it's a process. A TV is not a life long commitment.

Reactions: Brainonska511