Trump NY indictment thread

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Honestly, unless Trump is in prison somewhere, I think he has a better than 50/50 chance of winning against Biden. The right is spinning the border issue as a Biden problem, the inflation problem as a Biden problem, the economy for average Americans as a Biden problem...and, to a point, they're correct...not that Biden caused those problems...the inflation and the economy problems started during the COVID lockdowns...and that's a Trump problem...but they still spin it at Biden because, in spite of the gains that have been made in jobs, the average American is still struggling with massive inflation.

Jeezus...I hope I'm wrong.

Ask yourself this; who has Trump gained votes from? Biden doesn’t need to gain more votes than last time to win. Trump has to pick double whatever Biden loses.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I think Trump could win even IN prison, the American public is looney tunes and might see him as some locked-up superhero tragic figure. And wouldn't that just be as "modern America" as you could draw up.

I have no idea whatsoever who will win, I'm not especially confident that Biden will.

I had a couple people tell me "Biden has Alzheimer's!" as their big reason for not voting for him which pretty much tells you the level of intelligence we are dealing with here....

If I had to guess, Biden's main chance is a get-out-the-vote based on abortion. He also should have a lot of money for ads compared to Trump, but then we all know who the rich white men favor.... We need educated women to stop making sammiches, get out of the kitchen even though Jesus and the GOP wants them to stay there, and vote the fucking GOP into oblivion from top to bottom, from dogcatcher to President. Hey, one can dream.

Reactions: tweaker2 and Indus

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Ask yourself this; who has Trump gained votes from? Biden doesn’t need to gain more votes than last time to win. Trump has to pick double whatever Biden loses.

I think Trump's gains are among those that aren't LVs. Or, at least haven't been in the past. Groups including non-college educated whites, and the fringe lunatics. There is some evidence that he is gaining some hispanic vote as well. The largest % of the voting public isn't the center, it's the non-voters.

While Biden is losing from campus left, hispanic, and some african american vote.

I still think it comes down to how the Haley voters swing. Whether they stay home, show up and skip top of the ballot, or go with Biden as lesser of two evils.

Reactions: hal2kilo

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I think Trump's gains are among those that aren't LVs. Or, at least haven't been in the past. Groups including non-college educated whites, and the fringe lunatics. There is some evidence that he is gaining some hispanic vote as well. The largest % of the voting public isn't the center, it's the non-voters.

While Biden is losing from campus left, hispanic, and some african american vote.

I still think it comes down to how the Haley voters swing. Whether they stay home, show up and skip top of the ballot, or go with Biden as lesser of two evils.
Sure but are they in large enough numbers that matter?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Conservatives on SCOTUS want to rule on the larger issue and not this case. Alito even said, "I don't want to hear the facts in this case". WTF? Why does he think his corrupt ass is there in the first place? Only Barret seems open to ruling on this case. The stall is being set up for Trump. What's wrong with 2 part ruling? Rule on this case so DC can get back to work. Rule on the broader immunity question later.

This court will have to make up POTUS immunity since it does not exist in the Constitution. Wasn’t that their justification for cancelling Roe? They courts invented a right?

Isn’t that what this court would be doing?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Conservatives on SCOTUS want to rule on the larger issue and not this case. Alito even said, "I don't want to hear the facts in this case". WTF? Why does he think his corrupt ass is there in the first place? Only Barret seems open to ruling on this case. The stall is being set up for Trump. What's wrong with 2 part ruling? Rule on this case so DC can get back to work. Rule on the broader immunity question later.

This court will have to make up POTUS immunity since it does not exist in the Constitution. Wasn’t that their justification for cancelling Roe? They courts invented a right?

Isn’t that what this court would be doing?

You are asking for consistency from the most inconsistent court in history.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump on Twooth Social:

I’ve been waiting for Crooked Joe at the Courthouse, the Fake News Media was there also — HE DIDN’T SHOW! ANY WHERE, ANY TIME, ANY PLACE!

He's hitting all the lies. Plus ...Trump is trying to make this into a wrestling sort of thing so he will look like a tough guy. “Crooked Joe! I’m going to take your title! I’m going to beat your ass! You are a coward and a weasel with tiny hands! I dare you to get in the ring with me! ANY WHERE, ANY TIME, ANY PLACE!” Just another reality-show way to be disrespectful to the once normal debate process.

We request that Judge Merchan immediately LIFT THE GAG ORDER, so that President Trump is able to freely state his views, feelings, and policies.

Yeah, come on! no one knows how you really feel even though you won’t shut the fuck up about it. But policies? About the trials? Is it your policy that there should never be trials for DJT?

I’m at the heavily guarded Courthouse. Security is that of Fort Knox, all so that MAGA will not be able to attend this trial

He’s still trying to sell that lie in hopes his idiot fans will believe there are thousands rallying behind him. How’s that working out Donnie?

The Soros backed Alvin Bragg case, presided over by a highly conflicted Judge, has completely fallen apart.

Has it? Or were you asleep and have no idea what’s going on. Maybe you should ask your boogyman Soros what's going on?

THERE’S NO HAPPINESS ON THE LEFT!

Really?! ... I’m willing to bet that they are a lot happier than you are!

I really, really hope that Merchan digs into this bullshit, and tells Trump explicitly what is in the gag order, and has Trump repeat it back to him word for word. Ask him if he understands this, or if he would like it explained more. THEN ask Trump if the gag order makes it so he is unable to state his views, feelings and policies. Just keep him to a yes or no answer. Trump understands that the gag order doesn’t prevent him from lying about the gag order, and Merchan also (of course) understands that.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Trump on Twooth Social:

He's hitting all the lies. Plus ...Trump is trying to make this into a wrestling sort of thing so he will look like a tough guy. “Crooked Joe! I’m going to take your title! I’m going to beat your ass! You are a coward and a weasel with tiny hands! I dare you to get in the ring with me! ANY WHERE, ANY TIME, ANY PLACE!” Just another reality-show way to be disrespectful to the once normal debate process.
Is there any reason that "Crooked Joe" should, or is expected, to be at the courthouse?
I mean my mams not there either but I'm not sure you should read too much into that!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Is there any reason that "Crooked Joe" should, or is expected, to be at the courthouse?
I mean my mams not there either but I'm not sure you should read too much into that!
It’s not even a federal case - lol.

Trump is just enraged at this entire humiliating process and is wildly lashing out at anyone and everyone.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Main character syndrome, he probably thinks this is Biden's doing, part of politics. I think he literally doesn't understand what's happening to him.

Edit: the welsh beat me to it.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I genuinely get the feeling that he doesn't understand what the hells going on at this point.

And his (Trump's) fanbase doesn't give a damn what the facts are.

Trump has trained them to spew "alternative facts" and "fake news" to anything they don't want to hear. Trump has literally infected 90% of the conservative base with Head Up The Ass Syndrome. Sure, he wasn't the first carrier of the disease, but he sure as hell hastened its spread.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Main character syndrome, he probably thinks this is Biden's doing, part of politics. I think he literally doesn't understand what's happening to him.

Edit: the welsh beat me to it.
I mean he's never seemed the kind of person to take time and understand the nuances of events around him but he seems completely separated from reality at the moment. He also looked really haggard in the last images of him that I saw in the courthouse. I've not been following things too closely though. I just read up on the current state of play

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Welp, judge found him in contempt, fined him 9K and warned him not to do it again. That's it. That's the punishment.

THEREFORE, Defendant is hereby warned that the Court will not tolerate continued willful violations of its lawful orders and that if necessary and appropriate under the circumstances, it will impose an incarceratory punishment."

Jan 25, 2011
Welp, judge found him in contempt, and warned him not to do it again. That's it. That's the punishment.

THEREFORE, Defendant is hereby warned that the Court will not tolerate continued willful violations of its lawful orders and that if necessary and appropriate under the circumstances, it will impose an incarceratory punishment."
He also fined him on I think 9 counts, $1000 each.

Reactions: Amused

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
That's what some of the legal folks said would happen from vids I watched. Start with fines with max penalty (which is hardly much of one), go from there.

They do think that if he does keep it up, there will be jail time probably of the 3-5 day duration. A couple of the talking heads thought that was going to happen as it was Trump's goal. We shall see rather soon if he puts the judge to the test. He is supposed to take the posts down, and let's see if he stops posting more gag order material. Then of course we'll see what this judge does.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Minor side note on the state of poor Mr. Trump: (via WaPo)

Two weeks in, the first criminal trial of a former president has been personally taxing for Donald Trump and disruptive to his campaign.
Despite efforts to schedule dinners where donors, friends and world leaders join him, Trump’s moods are worse on trial days, according to several people close to him, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private conversations.

The former president is accustomed to near-daily rounds of golf, “constant stimulation” and cheers when he enters and exits a room at Mar-a-Lago, they said.

• Haha
Reactions: manly

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Yeah don't get these despot world leaders meeting with him. Like damn don't they have an ounce of dignity but to kiss butt? But then again some of the former heads of state probably like the attention and a free dinner. Lol who am I kidding, orange monkey probably gives them the bill at the end.

Reactions: dank69

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Welp, judge found him in contempt, fined him 9K and warned him not to do it again. That's it. That's the punishment.

Quote: "A corrupt and crooked Judge".
Due to the gag order, shouldn't Trump be imprisoned for what he just said?

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris