News Trump: Mar-a-Lago just raided by FBI

Page 231 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Again though, all that needs to happen is to delay until the election. Probably well before it, because everyone will start in with the "oh, hands off, we can't interfere with an election" horseshit.

And no even if he loses I don't *want* him to skate--just saying it won't matter as much to a lot of the people. Far and away I'm just concerned whether he gets elected or not. Anything else is a distant, distant second.

I had the same thought about things a lot of people are posting in a lot of places. Many of us post things that in the type of country Trump wants (and that his heroes run), would be dangerous. Thing is, there are a ton of targets of bigger opportunity for Trump. The ones that should be worried are people that he's directly been opposed by. Lots of the press for example. I think if anything he'll be gutting government institutions like the IRS, much like buddy Elmo has done with Xitter, so I wouldn't think there will be a widespread organized effort to go after the little people. But who knows. Just a wild ass guess like we all are making!

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
We complain about the orange monkey butt kissers moving the goal posts. Stop being one of them saying the other cases will go away when he loses the election. Smith will take great pleasure to sit in the front row in January

Reactions: iRONic

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
We complain about the orange monkey butt kissers moving the goal posts. Stop being one of them saying the other cases will go away when he loses the election. Smith will take great pleasure to sit in the front row in January
I hope you're right. I wish this election were a joke because who in their right mind would possibly consider voting for trump? And yet here we are...

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Has Donald Trump successfully avoided trial in all of his felony cases?

In the ones that matter the most, yes.

And after SCOTUS punts the immunity question to the lower courts to define which acts are "immune," Jack Smith's case gets buried too.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic
Nov 17, 2019
POTUS can’t remove judges
Congress can though. It's rare, but Judges have been impeached and removed. Usually involves criminal charges though rather than breech of ethics.

Little Miss Judgie Pooh should never have been on this case to begin with due to conflict of interest.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
In the ones that matter the most, yes.

And after SCOTUS punts the immunity question to the lower courts to define which acts are "immune," Jack Smith's case gets buried too.
Oh, which specific trials, important trials as you state, has Trump avoided? you might want to look up the defintion of two basic terms before you answer, which would be Avoid, and Delay. I say that because sit appears you don't have the basic understanding of those terms.

Dec 10, 2005
Congress can though. It's rare, but Judges have been impeached and removed. Usually involves criminal charges though rather than breech of ethics.

Little Miss Judgie Pooh should never have been on this case to begin with due to conflict of interest.
Lol, yes, they can do that in theory, but in practice, it takes 2/3 of the Senate to convict, so I doubt it will ever happen again unless the judge commits a murder.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017

Nothing would make me happier if that happens. I have no clue how this election will go, and neither does anyone else posting here. I'm hoping for the best, will do what I can legally to help Biden win, but I'm also preparing for the worst. 2016 hit me rather hard.

If Trump wins, I don't know if Trump will be able to make those other cases go away. I have certainty that he will try. At the very least it will get interesting if a court attempts to force a President in office back into trial as a defendant when he simply refuses to go.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Nothing would make me happier if that happens. I have no clue how this election will go, and neither does anyone else posting here. I'm hoping for the best, will do what I can legally to help Biden win, but I'm also preparing for the worst. 2016 hit me rather hard.

If Trump wins, I don't know if Trump will be able to make those other cases go away. I have certainty that he will try. At the very least it will get interesting if a court attempts to force a President in office back into trial as a defendant when he simply refuses to go.
If Trump wins he can simply direct the justice department to drop all federal cases against him. As far as the state charges go he would be immune while president.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
It's all going to come down to the election basically. None of these trials will likely have an effect on it, even if he's found guilty on the charges from the one in progress. Perhaps hammering "candidate Donald Trump, convicted felon" will move a few mushy middlers (assuming he's found guilty).

We know Trump and the GOP will do everything possible to rig the election--what they learned from 2020 is that they need to get better at this.

Abortion, the economy, events like the middle east conflict, and whatever might happen around the election--these will determine which side wins IMO.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
A statement like that should work towards getting her removed from the bench, not just this case.
Lol good luck getting the supermajority of the senate to remove. And as horrible as she is, if Dems somehow were to get the numbers, bigger fish to fry before her

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Great New York Times article about Judge Cannon repeatedly punting the ironclad case against her appointer down the road and past the General Election. This link should work to get anyone past the paywall for 14 days, i.e. until Sunday June 2, 2024.

The comments appear to be by and large by relatively well-informed readers and uniformly condemn the judge.

It Is Inexcusable How Judge Cannon Is Delaying the Trump Documents Case​

May 18, 2024

judge cannon.jpg

Reactions: hal2kilo and Zorba

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Really?

Aileen Cannon Has Stern Response for Jack Smith

Cannon said she's "disappointed" Smith asked her to keep information secret to protect grand jury secrecy and witness safety.

No, REALLY?

So. I know that judge’s decisions are protected against lawsuits. But if a witness is harassed (or worse) because of a decision that is made by a judge that goes against best practices would that witness have a chance at a lawsuit against Cannon?

I know if it was me I would try to take her to court.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
JFC

The more that comes out on this case, the worse this joke of a judge looks.
This part just makes me so Fn mad. I used to loose sleep over the handling of classified material.

In a footnote, Howell also noted that another Trump adviser connected to his Save America PAC had acknowledged scanning the contents of the box that contained the classified materials in 2021 and storing them on a personal laptop provided by the PAC.