The joys of being retired

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Our autistic son is still with us, and always will be with us. He is very similar to RainMan. So while we may be retired, we are not empty nesters. With all the good and bad that entails. Hopefully you are at least an empty nester. :)
She's not. She has Red.

I'dluv2

Oct 21, 2022
Sometimes I get bored and think about going to work someplace...either a retail job like Home Depot,
When I retired and moved to the desert I thought about working part time at Home Depot. I guy I worked with for 30 years had moved down there a couple years before. I told him what I was thinking about, he said you would have no problem getting a job there. He knew the store manager and he said 95% of the applicants failed the drug test.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
I lucked out. Retired 11 years ago. Sold house in CA and moved to NV. No income tax. Paid off new house and car with proceeds from CA. No CC balance. Low 6 figures in the bank. Between SS, county retirement and annuity my income is the same as my last salary.

Not boasting. Just the fact, Jack. 😊

Reactions: lxskllr

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
When I retired and moved to the desert I thought about working part time at Home Depot. I guy I worked with for 30 years had moved down there a couple years before. I told him what I was thinking about, he said you would have no problem getting a job there. He knew the store manager and he said 95% of the applicants failed the drug test.
Heh...yeah, the local Home Depot has the same problem...especially in a state where pot is legal.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well...that's true enough...except my doctors said, "these are "retirement injuries. You're done working." , so I applied for SSDI and my disability pension...which both converted to "regular retirement" at age 65...
A poverty level income though SSI can't be as enjoyable as an income derived from retirement savings through the full course of someone's career. That's got to be brutal.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
A poverty level income though SSI can't be as enjoyable as an income derived from retirement savings through the full course of someone's career. That's got to be brutal.
No SSI here. SSDI (and now) regular Social Security ain’t gonna make me rich, but it’s a damned sight better than SSI.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Wife and I are late 40’s. Retirement is getting close enough to start considering when to retire. Have a good amount in retirement accounts also have small pensions that increase based on number of years of service.

Main issue is paying for 2 kids in college and one who’ll be going in 4 years. So probably at least a decade away.

Reactions: dank69

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
My kind of thread :D.

Rapidly working on retirement, I'm probably 5 years from being able to, and 8 from my target (47). I love my job, but would love the flexibility of being able to peace out at any time.

At my previous job (which was a private company owned by two guys with no outside money), my plan was to go to the owners, tell them they can pay me whatever they want, I work 10-15 hours on very specific things, and get health insurance. They get a senior worker for basically no money, I get something to do but not the stress of full time.

Still might go back to them, we'll see :D.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Retired in May of 22 and have been loving every minute of it. I have a huge to do list that built up while working. But I figure I have the rest of my life to complete it.... Meh
Biggest change in my life style is I no longer set an alarm clock for anything.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Our autistic son is still with us, and always will be with us. He is very similar to RainMan. So while we may be retired, we are not empty nesters. With all the good and bad that entails. Hopefully you are at least an empty nester. :)
Wow! I also have an adult who lives with Autism as his daily challenge, he lives with my husband & I.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
In Danmark the retirement age is set to follow the average life expectancy + some amount of years. So currently it is 67 and for my age group (born in 1979 or younger) it is expected to be 72.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
In Danmark the retirement age is set to follow the average life expectancy + some amount of years. So currently it is 67 and for my age group (born in 1979 or younger) it is expected to be 72.
Living longer doesn’t mean people are capable of working longer. We end up with zombies in high positions.

Reactions: Zorba and dank69

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You can "retire" and still work. Maybe at a different type of job...just to keep you busy, not because you "have to work."

Sometimes I get bored and think about going to work someplace...either a retail job like Home Depot, or even a customer service type of job, such as the local cable or electrical utility...

Then, common sense kicks in..."Nah, fuck that nonsense...WTF were you thinking?"
There are some call center jobs that you can do whenever you decide to connect from home. No set schedules, etc.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Living longer doesn’t mean people are capable of working longer. We end up with zombies in high positions.
Life expectancy is also a terrible measure as nearly all of the gains have been from preventing early death. People didn't used to die at 40, kids used to die a lot before they were 5 and that dragged down the averages.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Life expectancy is also a terrible measure as nearly all of the gains have been from preventing early death. People didn't used to die at 40, kids used to die a lot before they were 5 and that dragged down the averages.
People are definitely getting older the last 40 years and living longer, not just lowering children mortality rate.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i can't wait to retire. just found out i'll be working all weekend and probably 80 hours weeks after that for a while.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
That's what we need. A 67-year-old fireman carrying kids down a ladder. :D

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

DeDony181

Apr 17, 2024
I don't think the title of this thread makes sense to any of the younger folks, we won't get the privilage to feel the pleasure of retirement..

Dec 10, 2005
I don't think the title of this thread makes sense to any of the younger folks, we won't get the privilage to feel the pleasure of retirement..
Speak for yourself. I'm "younger" and doing fine. But I also don't subscribe to the economic doom and gloom vibes.

The only real drag is housing costs in my high cost metro area. Something that could be fixed with substantially more construction, but likely will not get fixed anytime soon because NIMBYism and whatnot.

Reactions: Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
People are definitely getting older the last 40 years and living longer, not just lowering children mortality rate.
Even then most of the gains are likely from reductions in early death, not extending the light of the already old. Seat belts, reductions in smoking, pollution, etc.

Reactions: Brainonska511

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Retirement (or should I say financial independence) can be great. I was perfectly happy doing nothing (other than work through my wife's to-do list) for the first 6-8 months after retirement, but then it started to feel pretty boring. Part-time consulting work helped give me the mental stimulation I needed. Now I need to get more involved in volunteer work. Yes, it's great to not have to work for a living - but you may need to find opportunities to work on things you believe in.

Reactions: pcgeek11

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Retirement (or should I say financial independence) can be great. I was perfectly happy doing nothing (other than work through my wife's to-do list) for the first 6-8 months after retirement, but then it started to feel pretty boring. Part-time consulting work helped give me the mental stimulation I needed. Now I need to get more involved in volunteer work. Yes, it's great to not have to work for a living - but you may need to find opportunities to work on things you believe in.
I've been political active and know how to get a good network and as we are expecting our 4th child, I think and hope that family take up a great part of my retirement. And I'm really good at being on my own, so currently I'm not worried. :) But I have 25+ years until retirement.