The "I just bought..." thread.

Page 143 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Got a brand new helmet from the thriftshop for $7. It's worth $100. I have two that are the newer redesign, but I couldn't pass this up. Getting ready to buy a visor for it at ~half price since it's the older design. Can always use a spare.

View attachment 98413

Wouldn't that be two spares? ;)
Nice score though for $7.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I might be in the market for a new washer myself. Something happened to the suspension in my Kenmore, and it beats the shit out of itself when it runs. I've been trying to find a shop manual for it, but I need to just flip it over and see what I see. It might be obvious. If repair's a no-go, I've already decided my next machine will be a basic SpeedQueen. I want something made well, no fancy features, and JustWorks™. SpeedQueen looks like it fits that bill.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You may just need a new spring. It dampens the load and fatigues over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: lxskllr

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I might be in the market for a new washer myself. Something happened to the suspension in my Kenmore, and it beats the shit out of itself when it runs. I've been trying to find a shop manual for it, but I need to just flip it over and see what I see. It might be obvious. If repair's a no-go, I've already decided my next machine will be a basic SpeedQueen. I want something made well, no fancy features, and JustWorks™. SpeedQueen looks like it fits that bill.
I have Kenmore washer and dryer. Rarely use the dryer, 97% of the time I hang outdoors, even in iffy weather. If my laundry isn't dry by dusk I will spin in dryer a few minutes to get it dry.

The washer I use regularly, of course. It's a top loader. I bought both machines used off a couple who bought new machines because they were moving. They are old and look it but they keep working. I think the dryer may have lost some functionality, I used to be able to start it back up by closing the door but it stopped doing that. Maybe just a setting? Haven't been able to find the manuals!

Neighbor offered me their used washer/dryer when they upgraded and I gave them a check for $400 IIRC, but asked for it back (during pandemic) when I realized it would be a bitch to get my machines out and theirs in and installed. The washer was front loading, which I have figured I wanted, but figured what I have is working, so keep it and not have to hassle the change.

What I've been using since 2004, the only washer & dryer I've ever had:

Sears Dryer -- 02/03/2004
--------------------------------------------------------------
Kenmore

Model/Stock number: 77670600
Nat. Gas
Serial No.: M60401260

120v 60hz 6 amps
ANS Z21.5.1 Clothes Dryer
BTU/HR 22000
---------------------------------------------------------------
Sears Washer -- 02/03/2004
--------------------------------------------------------------
Top loader

9.8 amps
Stock 15111

3349691 = ? (on back)

> 110.91511100 - Whirlpool built direct drive style Kenmore washer.

Serial No.: 3223463

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
My dryer's been virtually dead for a few years now. There may be a couple dries left in it, but something's gone terribly wrong, and it kind of stinks when it runs; almost like heated grease. I just hang my clothes outside to dry. That's my preference anyway, but now it's mandated, and I have to plan around the weather. Also, in winter they don't always get dry, and I finish my stuff at the woodstove. It's a minor hassle, but not that bad. Uses less power, and I much prefer that to dicking around with the dryer to try to fix it, or buying a new appliance I don't really like anyway.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I saw something recently that made sense to me. Spinning in a dryer shortens the life span of your clothes. Justifies hanging outside. For a few years I'd hang in a utility room in the house in bad weather but the humidity damaged the room and I stopped doing that.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
We use a 3 amp dehumidifier and a spare bathroom, and I also recycle the water. The clothes are nice and dry overnight at 35% relative humidity.
I started a 7 day demo of Acrobat Pro to edit some sheets of the house prints. $30 a month after that, month to month. I may get everything I need done with it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Putting together a Frigidaire+ Whirlpool appliance package in the 9k range Costco includes delivery, installation and haulaway. And their current special knocks 1200 off the total or it would be over 10k.

Last edited:
Reactions: skyking

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
My dryer's been virtually dead for a few years now. There may be a couple dries left in it, but something's gone terribly wrong, and it kind of stinks when it runs; almost like heated grease. I just hang my clothes outside to dry. That's my preference anyway, but now it's mandated, and I have to plan around the weather. Also, in winter they don't always get dry, and I finish my stuff at the woodstove. It's a minor hassle, but not that bad. Uses less power, and I much prefer that to dicking around with the dryer to try to fix it, or buying a new appliance I don't really like anyway.
Open the dryer up. Very simple machines, especially if it's electric. It's probably the belt slipping (burning smell).

I needed a new belt on mine, so I got a new idler belt pulley, belt, new glides, and tub rollers. Total of about $40. The only other part in it is the motor. Not much to fail, there are no bearings, so I doubt it's grease.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I saw something recently that made sense to me. Spinning in a dryer shortens the life span of your clothes. Justifies hanging outside.
Not really, washing them also shortens the life of clothes, I ain't skipping that. And when I hang dry clothes, they are always wrinkled.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Open the dryer up. Very simple machines, especially if it's electric. It's probably the belt slipping (burning smell).

I needed a new belt on mine, so I got a new idler belt pulley, belt, new glides, and tub rollers. Total of about $40. The only other part in it is the motor. Not much to fail, there are no bearings, so I doubt it's grease.
Well there is the heat coil and the thermistors. And there are bearings in the wheels holding up the drum and the belt tensioner wheel. Burning smell could be lint lol.

<---- have taken electric dryer apart before.

Last edited:

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Well there is the heat coil and the thermistors. And there are bearings in the wheels holding up the drum and the belt tensioner wheel.

<---- have taken electric dryer apart before.
Right, I did forget the heating element. But the bearings in the drum rollers are plain bearings, and they are pressed into the tub rollers, so they are replaced anyways. They specifically state NOT to apply grease or oil to them. Attracts lint.

Simple machines.

Last edited:

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
We just bought a new washer a month ago. Our front load washer started smoking. Everything online said to replace the belt, but I couldn't find the damn belt and didn't know how to take the thing apart after taking the panels apart. Ended up just getting a basic top loader.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
We purchased a new piece of art today for one of the flower beds. This is from a local artist who turns scrap metal into art.

We placed it next to the Ivory Silk Japanese Lilac
PXL_20240506_232007366.jpg

Last edited:

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I have been shopping for a new desk chair. I was looking at Aerons and Steelcase leaps. After trying and Aeron and a Mirra I pretty much thought I wanted the steelcase. I went and sat in the steelcase leap and the steelcase Amia and kind of liked both.

My wife balked at the price and wanted me to replace my 169 dollar office depot chair with the same exact 169 dollar office depot chair.

Today at work on my last break a Steelcase Amia showed up at a very good price. It said like new. The guy said he could meet anytime after 4. I had an obligation and couldnt make it. I said if he still had it I would drive up tomorrow ( like 25 minutes each way). While I was working I realized it might not last overnight. I blew off my obligation and messaged the guy I would be there at 4.

I get there and the thing still has the tags and protective plastics on it.The guy asked me if I wanted it and I actually said " Take my money"

I picked up a perfect Steelcase Amia with all the available adjustments for 175 bucks. I dont get the 12 year warranty but for 175 bucksa I will buy anything that breaks on ebay.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
At that price you should get motorcycle racing peel offs to protect it from scratches.
Similar
Do you know much about those? I'd be pretty interested in getting something like that, but not if you need 4 years professional experience to install them without getting bubbles.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Just picked up two 8' walnut slabs for $50 each. I cut the heart wood out of one to make a small table. The stuff is awesome.
I need about 8' of live edge by 40" or so, or a couple I can butterfly together to make our kitchen island. Walnut would do, several species would do.