The Hackintosh Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
A quick post on graphics cards:

Tonymacx86's GPU database: (fairly out-of-date)

http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/Graphics_Card_Database

Latest GPU recommendations:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/325-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-january-2013.html#gfx_cards

Graphics Card performance comparison database:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...-right-now-hierarchy-chart-toms-hardware.html

It looks like if you want to play it safe, go with either an HD3000 (roughly equivalent to a 7300GT) or HD4000 (roughly equivalent to a 9500GT) for an integrated GPU, a GT640 for low-end dedicated, and a GT680 for high-end integrated.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Parts are arriving!

http://i.imgur.com/yc3M4.jpg

Top one is an Apex MI-110 case (~$55 with PSU) for Mini-ITX boards; this one will be getting an H77N Mini-ITX board for PFsense purposes (plus a leftover i3 & 4GB RAM - overkill but hey!).

Middle one is a Foxconn RM2. These have been going on sale for $65 lately, and are under $100 normally. No idea if it will run OSX or if it does HDMI Audio (only has stereo onboard via analog otherwise), but will be fun to try!

Bottom one is an Antec VSK-3000 case. It's a smaller mid-tower case, sort of like the Antec 300's little brother, and it supports Mini-ITX. I had an H67N-USB3 Mini-ITX board leftover from a previous project and wanted to put my spare GTX470 GPU on it for gaming and whatnot, so that worked out perfectly.

And Gigabyte is coming out with i5 & i7 NUC's in April (along with USB 3.0!), so I'll be doing more with that as the time comes. So assembly & testing starts this weekend and then I'll throw up some guides if I have any success!

mosslack

Nov 16, 2008
hq-a.weebly.com

I've been running my MSI P55-GD80 for almost 2 years now with 3 - 9400 GT video cards and 6 displays. Here is a video I did of it soon after I got it all setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnFoLy-PsU4

Since then I've had one of the middle Acer 22" monitors go bad, but I have replaced it and still have a total of 6 going. The other 4 monitors are Asus 24" and have been rock solid.

This system runs 24-7 and has been very stable over the course of it's life, but lately I've noticed some problems as it will freeze for no apparent reason. Perhaps it's time for a good system cleaning.

I do have a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 sitting on the parts shelf in case the MSI ever decides to call it quits.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I've been running my MSI P55-GD80 for almost 2 years now with 3 - 9400 GT video cards and 6 displays. Here is a video I did of it soon after I got it all setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnFoLy-PsU4

Since then I've had one of the middle Acer 22" monitors go bad, but I have replaced it and still have a total of 6 going. The other 4 monitors are Asus 24" and have been rock solid.

This system runs 24-7 and has been very stable over the course of it's life, but lately I've noticed some problems as it will freeze for no apparent reason. Perhaps it's time for a good system cleaning.

I do have a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 sitting on the parts shelf in case the MSI ever decides to call it quits.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/120924_o.gif

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Hi to all the ZDNet readers!

They posted a great article on the upcoming Hackintosh-oriented ProjectQ motherboard:

http://www.zdnet.com/the-hackintosh-is-back-say-hello-to-projectq-7000010890/
That must be the same guy who wrote a nonsense article a while back equating Hackintoshes with netbooks and of all things iPads. IE:

Then in January, 2010 the arrival of $500 iPad was probably the final nail in the hackintosh coffin.
Why do people that never know dick about the Hackintosh scene feel compelled to write such ignorance about it?

Also, that article is completely wrong about the need for some magic motherboard in order for a Hackintosh to work. That looks like a Gigabyte motherboard with some bad Photoshop done to it.

kem327

Jan 9, 2011
Nice thread. Just found it but thanks for creating/posting. Will monitor it going forward..

My first home machine with Mac OS was the Dell Mini 9, which I bought specifically to install OS X on. Like that zdnet article mentions though, performance deteriorated a bit over the years, so I eventually sold it.

These days I have a Mac mini (hooked up to my TV) and an original MacBook Air. I recently bought a Lenovo w510 laptop though, and then realized that it's capable of running OS X, so I have near term plans to install OS X on a SSD and dual boot OS X/Win 7 on it.

I'll post back after I get OS X going on it. When I bought the w510 I had no idea it could be a hackintosh, so was a nice surprise. I had thought about dual booting with Ubuntu previously but will instead go w/ OS X.

GWestphal

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2009
@Kaido

I have an old P35-DS3L hack, but the USB is brutally slow, it must be operating at USB1.1 speeds. Any quick easy fixes so I can get some decent speeds?

Edit: Running 10.7.4, vanilla/Extras folder install

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
@Kaido

I have an old P35-DS3L hack, but the USB is brutally slow, it must be operating at USB1.1 speeds. Any quick easy fixes so I can get some decent speeds?

Would you be willing to do a fresh install? I just got Mountain Lion up & running on my DS3L last week. I'll do a speed test this weekend on my hack to see what the USB is performing at.

GWestphal

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2009
I tried deleting AppleHPET.kext and that sped things up to USB 2 speeds but it still seems to transfer in blocks instead on continuously, the transfer bar will do 8...25...40... With several second pauses in between.

mosslack

Nov 16, 2008
hq-a.weebly.com
@Kaido

I don't have any problems with mine. I have mine booting in ML as well as Lion. ML seems a bit slow in the user interface, but nothing wrong with the USB AFAIK.

Tyranicus

Aug 28, 2007
I just upgraded my hack from a GTX 470 to a GTX 670. It threw up a blank white screen at boot, but I discovered after a little online research that I simply had to change GraphicsEnabler from Yes to No in org.chameleon.boot.plist to get it running perfectly.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I've been running the Vanilla method for a long time now with great results:

1. Natively-supported USB sound card (stereo only, unfortunately, but it's all I use anyway)
2. Natively-supported PCI Gigabit Ethernet card
3. Natively-supported Video card
4. Bootloader on either a USB stick or boot drive partition (for the bootloader & Extras folder)

This way the OSX install partition is 100% stock OSX, no mods required! I prefer the USB stick bootloader method because I can swap sticks and tinker easily, without screwing up my original boot system (not that that's as big of a deal now these days, haha). It's also nice because you can swap drives between real Macs easily, if you need to for whatever reason. I also keep a backup drive running Time Machine for file backup and SuperDuper for image backups ;)

I hope it's okay, I quoted this here from out of the other Hackintosh thread for fear it'll just get lost there.

Specifically, I'm curious how you prepare a USB bootloader for a desktop system. That's a great idea. I remember doing it a few years ago when it was the current method, and it always seemed like a good idea to keep the bootloader separate like that, but the method was quickly replaced and all I've seen since are the harddrive only methods.

Do you have any info on the exact way you set your USB boot drive up? Sounds like this will be great general info for Hackintosh enthusiasts to know, yet I haven't really seen anyone else advocating it despite the benefits.

Seems to me the only downside is dedicating a USB port -no biggie- and possibly a few seconds of boot time? I dunno.

Any chance for a Kaido guide on your setup method?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I hope it's okay, I quoted this here from out of the other Hackintosh thread for fear it'll just get lost there.

Specifically, I'm curious how you prepare a USB bootloader for a desktop system. That's a great idea. I remember doing it a few years ago when it was the current method, and it always seemed like a good idea to keep the bootloader separate like that, but the method was quickly replaced and all I've seen since are the harddrive only methods.

Do you have any info on the exact way you set your USB boot drive up? Sounds like this will be great general info for Hackintosh enthusiasts to know, yet I haven't really seen anyone else advocating it despite the benefits.

Seems to me the only downside is dedicating a USB port -no biggie- and possibly a few seconds of boot time? I dunno.

Any chance for a Kaido guide on your setup method?

Sure, same method I've been doing for awhile now. Originally it was with Chameleon, but lately I've been doing it with the Tonymac Chimera branch due to modern support & easy installation procedure. The key concept is that the bootloader doesn't need to be on the same drive (or partition) as the OSX install. This enables you to put the bootloader on a different drive or partition. I originally did this for 2 reasons:

1. To keep the Mac install clean (no modded kexts, scripts, patches, etc.)
2. To circumvent the 1TB limit in Chameleon at the time

For example, my wife's computer has a 2TB boot drive running Snow Leopard. She didn't want a USB stick in her machine (UD3P), so I partitioned off a gig, installed Chameleon on it, and then installed OSX on the 2nd partition. So technically, the OSX partition is 100% clean Mac:

http://i.imgur.com/hLdLjVb.png

I personally prefer the USB stick method because I can physically unplug the drive and swap a new one in for testing, and if that breaks, swap in the old one and boot up just fine. To make it even more vanilla (stock), I also use natively-supported equipment for the "problem children" - Sound, Network, and GPU. Going back to my wife's machine, it has a Syba USB stereo sound card (~$10), an Encore PCI Gigabit card (~$10), and an 8800GTS video card. They don't require any modded kexts or patches, so the OSX install stays 100% clean & hack-free.

This is also handy if you work on real Macs, because your hard drive is 100% Mac-compatible and vice-versa. And it makes updates nice because you don't have to re-patch audio. The downside is that it's nice having everything on the board, like digital 5.1 audio, and you lose some ports (PCI, USB) and have to select specific video cards that have native support. The upshot is that it's super easy to maintain!

My next project is a D3P board with an i7, 32GB RAM, 1GB ATI 6870 GPU, USB Sound, PCI NIC, and USB bootloader. The goal is the same as before, but since it is an 1155-based board, you get native SpeedStep & Sleep: (unlike my current 1366-based X58 board)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128556

If you want to make things nice & clean, you can snag an internal USB header to external USB port adapter for under five bucks and just put your bootstick inside the case, if you don't do much tinkering: (saves an external USB port too)

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Mothe.../dp/B000IV6S9S

This method is not for everyone, but I really like it due to the convenience - easy to manage the HDD, easy to manage the bootloader, easy to manage updates. All of the Hackintosh stuff exists outside the Mac boot drive, so you don't have to deal with any funny business down the road.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Another nice trick to do is to make an image file of a master OSX install, so you only have to install OSX once and then just re-image the master from then on. So basically something like this:

1. Install OSX to a 20gb partition with a default admin account
2. Run updates
3. Use SuperDuper to clone the partition to a sparseimage DMG bundle (basically an ISO of the HDD)
4. Use SuperDuper (or Disk Utility, if you want) to restore the master DMG to a new drive/partition

This way, you can skip the hassle of installing OSX everytime you want to setup a new Hack (or Mac) - just restore the image to your boot drive and install the bootloader stuff to the drive (or a different partition to keep things clean, or a USB stick to keep things really clean, whatever you like). Another bonus is that it's wicked fast to clone the image, especially if you're doing SATA to SATA. My current stock master image file is 5.87gb (10.8.2 + updates) and took just over 60 seconds to clone to a new, bare drive:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BCJdDm-CQAAF4Ge.png:large

A USB HDD dock works fine too - restore the master DMG to it, then install Multibeast to a USB stick, voila! Insta-Hack ;) With the added bonus of native sound/network/graphics through additional hardware, it's pretty much a cakewalk if you buy a supported board (especially an 1155-socketed Gigabyte board). If you need 5.1 audio or a special video card or integrated graphics (HD3000/HD4000) it may not be the best route for you, but for a lot of setups, it's really nice! :thumbsup:

mosslack

Nov 16, 2008
hq-a.weebly.com
I suppose it's what each person is most used to. To me, this would be a step backwards, I'm so used to making the hard drive boot I wouldn't know what to do booting from a flash drive. Not to mention the cost of providing a flash drive for each computer you use on a regular or semi-regular basis. Speaking for myself, I have 5 systems just here in my room!

I can see some positive sides to this though. If you remove the flash drive the system will no longer boot so it makes your system more secure. And then there are the reasons you outlined, totally vanilla system drive, etc.

As for sound dongles, I use those when the only other method is VoodooHDA. I just don't like using Voodoo at all on my systems. If AppleHDA can be made to work that is what I prefer.

I use the sparseimage as a backup for certain systems, but I really prefer to use the second smaller (20 Gb) partition for system updates. Test the update on the backup partition and if it's safe proceed to update the main partition. If not, easy enough to make another SuperDuper backup eliminating the user data.

I suppose it's best to just say to each his own and leave it at that!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I suppose it's best to just say to each his own and leave it at that!

Yup. On my in-laws Hackintosh, I installed everything to the boot drive and then disabled updates. Been flawless for years!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Tonymac just updated his buyer's guide to the February 2013 version:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/333-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-february-2013.html

No changes, but more organized. They've also announced they'll be doing monthly revisions for the latest recommendations - really good news for people who want to quickly find out what the most compatible & recommended hardware is:

Building a computer from parts is a very rewarding experience. Not only can you save a few bucks, but you can pat yourself on the back for a job well done at the end. When running OS X as your main operating system, supported and compatible components are extremely important. That is why we have created a large selection of pre-configured systems along with a list of choices.

For maximum ease of use with tonymacx86.com guides and methods, we'll be revising this buyer's guide monthly with all of our current recommendations. These might not be the only components that work, but based on our research they're the easiest and best supported options. Use these as a shopping list or as a jumping off point. Either way you'll be supporting the site by purchasing through these links, so thanks in advance!

Since there haven't been any changes in compatibility this month so far, we've maintained our recommendations, while adding Amazon's international online stores. Please note that if a link does not work, it is because the product is unavailable in that country.

mosslack

Nov 16, 2008
hq-a.weebly.com
Have you guys tried the MyHack installer? I've been experimenting with using a boot manager called Bootit Bare Metal to allow booting almost any OS (Including OS X) on a PC and I came across the MyHack installer when I used it to install a retail version of Lion onto an MBR (instead of GPT) partitioned hard drive. I like the MyHack much better than UniBeast mainly b/c it lets you know what it's up to, much better than just wondering if the installer is working or not.

Plus in addition to installing Chameleon on the hard drive while OS X is being installed, it also allows you to add your own /Extra folder or include a generic one instead. You do still need to install drivers for video, network, sound, etc., but it's not bad at all overall.

I used it to install both retail versions of Lion and Mountain Lion on my GA-P35-DS3L and it worked well. Lion better than ML as I had to boot up in safe mode to get ML to boot, but that was still better than I did with UniBeast. Worth a look if you need a little more than UniBeast provides:

http://myhack.sojugarden.com/guide/

P.S. It also works with Snow Leopard!

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I used it to install both retail versions of Lion and Mountain Lion on my GA-P35-DS3L and it worked well. Lion better than ML as I had to boot up in safe mode to get ML to boot, but that was still better than I did with UniBeast. Worth a look if you need a little more than UniBeast provides:

http://myhack.sojugarden.com/guide/

P.S. It also works with Snow Leopard!

In case you hadn't seen this:
http://myhackmac.blogspot.com/
&
http://tkware.info/2013/01/29/unibe...day-same-drm-shenanigans-and-hypocrisy-apply/