Discussion The 2024 Games Thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Anyone played the Terminator games? Specifically Terminator Resistance? Or input on Dark Fate?

Should I grab Cyberpunk 2077 @ $29.99?
Or Dragons Dogma? Also Stellaris?
Anyone have input on those? besides Cyberpunk? Is the xpac official?

Took a look at Enshrouded, Still early access, burnt by Star Citizen. although I still have the 40 buck starter on that.
There definitely is a game to play in star citizen, not complete but there certainly are things to do.
I have my eye on enshrouded too. Per two friends it’s primarily a single player game. You can team up with others but is breaks the game balance.

Reactions: DaaQ

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
There definitely is a game to play in star citizen, not complete but there certainly are things to do.
I have my eye on enshrouded too. Per two friends it’s primarily a single player game. You can team up with others but is breaks the game balance.
Yea my system would probably explode if I try to run SC at this time.

LMK if you go for Enshrouded, I may participate, I do like co-op games. More RPG or ARPG. I no longer have time for MMOs

I don't mind a single player campaign for the lore. But prefer co-op for replay ability.

Feb 4, 2009
Yea my system would probably explode if I try to run SC at this time.

LMK if you go for Enshrouded, I may participate, I do like co-op games. More RPG or ARPG. I no longer have time for MMOs

I don't mind a single player campaign for the lore. But prefer co-op for replay ability.
Yeah that’s pretty much me today. I have little interest in single player. I am fortunate to have a fairly dependable group of real world friends to game with.
As far as SC goes, I was running it on more or less medium-low settings and at the time it was a 1660ti.
Warning I do not look at fps stats so I have no idea what I ran it at however it looked good imo.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I bought Hades in October last year, played about an hour of it, didn't really click for me.

Well fast forward to 3 days ago. I decided to relaunch it and now have put in over 17 past two days, this is like a drug, it's got that one more turn, one more run energy. It really started to click for me after the 5 runs or so.

Game play is so fun when you start getting overpowered, still have not completed my first run though. The unique dialogue and voice acting is top notch. Fantastic game.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I bought Hades in October last year, played about an hour of it, didn't really click for me.

Well fast forward to 3 days ago. I decided to relaunch it and now have put in over 17 past two days, this is like a drug, it's got that one more turn, one more run energy. It really started to click for me after the 5 runs or so.

Game play is so fun when you start getting overpowered, still have not completed my first run though. The unique dialogue and voice acting is top notch. Fantastic game.

- Hades is really fantastic and has more or less ruined the rogue-lite genre for me. Beyond the rock solid minute to minute gameplay there is just SO MUCH narrative and story that even a failed run doesn't really feel like a failed run since you're still rewarded with little nuggets of character building and story.

I finally pulled the plug after my 10th escape and the primary plot concluded, but my understanding is there is still a ton of content I never saw and a sort of untiled epilogue if you keep racking up escapes.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Shadow of War
Dragons Dogma
Prototype 2

Tried all three of these games, all of them are excellent, but I think I'm going to stick with Dragon's Dogma for the moment, then circle back to the other two.

Enjoying the sort of low stakes (from a narrative perspective) open world + paperdoll RPG system of DD. Nice in a "low commitment, wind down after work" kind of way.

Also helps that the community is seeing a bit of a revival thanks to the impending release of the sequel as well.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
If I fire up Shadow of Mordor or War I get sucked in for 3-4hrs minimum. The nemesis system helps make combat addictive.

Nightingale is accessible for gamers like myself that don't spend any real time in the survival genre. Fun enough in the 14hrs I've played thus far. With max settings including nanite and lumen I personally don't think it looks as good as Red Dead 2.

Played through Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition. It is evidently a remaster for PC? Did the training for a few hours, spent some time on the single fights, then played the story. I suck extra at fighting games all these years later. I was okayish BITD on Sega Genesis vs my friends. Whatever lite mojo I had is completely gone. Probably need a decent arcade style controller too.

Story is good, though the cutscenes have aged like milk.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Wrapped up Halo 3. Damn, what a saga.

Halo CE starts off as a sort of semi-serious Sci-Fi Mil-Sim and by the end of H3 we're in full blown space opera territory.

H3 just takes H2, juices it to the gills, and just hits the accelerator and never lets off the gas. Really enjoyed the new Scarab fights, the ability to take heavy weapons turrets with you, the new flood forms and vehicles, Elites as allies that finally don't die in 30 seconds...

Just a great 360 era shooter that really leaned into the strengths of the console and gunning with a controller and played to all of its strengths.

Ass deep in Dragons Dogma at the moment. Definitely warrants the cult following, a lot to love and a lot to hate at the same time.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Ended up being a bug related to FreeSync. After trying 20 different things disabling FreeSync for Persona 4 Golden in the Adrenaline Control Panel eliminated the crash I was getting 100% of the time, and will hopefully eliminate the random crashes too. Ugh PC gaming is a pain, don't know if to blame Atlus or AMD here. Probably Atlus since FreeSync has been awesome in everything else I play.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

akenbennu

Jul 24, 2005
Played nightingale last night. So far it is fun.
Combat feels good, haven’t built much but that feels right so far.
It is a survival game, it seems like lots of “stuff” is needed to craft.
Also been playing Nightingale. Did a run through on normal and trying a desert build on hard now.

Feb 4, 2009
Also been playing Nightingale. Did a run through on normal and trying a desert build on hard now.
I’ve been slowly meandering thru the game. I have done close to zero internet research as to what to do.
I have a simple stone structure built in my starter forest realm. I have my companion to carry stuff, I have bought all I can from the trader.
Pretty sure I need to craft more gear and add the enchantments to level my gear up so I can move forward.
Fun game so far, crafting is a little clunky and there is little hand holding.

akenbennu

Jul 24, 2005
I’ve been slowly meandering thru the game. I have done close to zero internet research as to what to do.
I have a simple stone structure built in my starter forest realm. I have my companion to carry stuff, I have bought all I can from the trader.
Pretty sure I need to craft more gear and add the enchantments to level my gear up so I can move forward.
Fun game so far, crafting is a little clunky and there is little hand holding.
Sounds like you need to craft gear to get to 20 and hit the antiquarian site of power in your abeyance realm.

Or craft the upgrade bench so you can make your gear uncommon and apply enchantments.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Maybe just buggy code where the developers tied it somehow to the speed of their development machines or some such nonsense like that.
Sega wasn't very helpful so I requested a Steam refund. Doubt I'll get it approved but might as well try when the game is broken on PC. Hate requesting a refund on one of my favorite games ever made but the crashes make it unplayable on PC and had to go play it on Switch instead since wasn't giving up on a playthrough halfway in. Actually think I'd be shocked if I get the refund since I put 250 hours into it playing on my old 1660 Super and the playthrough was so long since I was playing in Japanese where I had to look up words every couple of sentences.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Might be me or the gin talking but I'm in love with Dragons Dogma.

It's a shit RPG from 2012, dont get me wrong, but it has this inafiable quality to it that makes it so deeply endearing as a game.

A lot of soul went into this and somehow all of the game's faults somehow become strengths like WTF is even happening

Reactions: Heartbreaker

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
playing closed beta for Once Human, it's an open world survival game , pve and pvp servers, seems ok

also playing Deep Rock Galactic: Survivor which is fun

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Fired up some Shadows of War cause Dragon's Dogma was getting kinda stale but I still wanted the sword and board thing.

God. Damn. What an incredible game. Only in Minas Ithil but dayum it's like putting on some well worn clothes, right back into the wanton Orc slaughter of Shadow of Mordor but even better.