Tesla Cybertruck

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The ineresting bit of that is the 3878 shipped number. I'm not big on the car market but that doesnt sound like a lot!
Reportedly they're having a lot of problems ramping production, which is sad considering it's a kind of problem they've solved before (Model 3). Tesla had millions of CT reservations on paper*, and it's a huge fuck up if they can't translate that into sales because they can't even make them. Even now, if you book an "order" for the top trim level (Cyberbeast), you won't get it until 2025. If Tesla can't figure out the production problem, presumably a lot of those soft reservations will just change their minds. The revised pricing has no doubt had the same effect.

* fully refundable

Dec 10, 2005
Reportedly they're having a lot of problems ramping production, which is sad considering it's a kind of problem they've solved before (Model 3). Tesla had millions of CT reservations on paper*, and it's a huge fuck up if they can't translate that into sales because they can't even make them. Even now, if you book an "order" for the top trim level (Cyberbeast), you won't get it until 2025. If Tesla can't figure out the production problem, presumably a lot of those soft reservations will just change their minds. The revised pricing has no doubt had the same effect.

* fully refundable
The soft reservations are going to be more likely to change their mind too as more EVs move onto the market. Tesla's primary advantage was being first. In retrospect (and it also seemed obvious at the time), Tesla would have likely been better off using a more traditional design and more traditional materials. But Elon knows best!

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The soft reservations are going to be more likely to change their mind too as more EVs move onto the market. Tesla's primary advantage was being first. In retrospect (and it also seemed obvious at the time), Tesla would have likely been better off using a more traditional design and more traditional materials. But Elon knows best!
I had typed out mentioning Rivian/Ford/GM/Ram in my previous reply but DJT has talked pickup truck buyers off the EV ledge and back onto ICE coal rollers. Trump, the grift that keeps on keep on giving!

In a sad way, recalling 3878 CTs is actually good news. Elon should be ecstatic they're not recalling 100k+ vehicles. :p I suspect their official Q1 results will be a bloodbath, so if they have any other bad news in the pipeline, now is the perfect time for a 💩. Somehow, Elon's RDF has to convince institutions to vote for his $56B comp package and corporate move to Texas, right after they laid off 10% of their workforce. :rolleyes:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

* fully refundable
I think that a lot of those reservations were made with the understanding that a CT was going to be <$40k (which was unrealistic but Elon fanboys will fanboy) and now that its >$100k to get one even fanboys are getting cold feet!

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Tesla is going to shit. The CT is a massive failure - for everyone but some small-balled bros. Tesla turned out to be a hype stock and Elon the coddled member of a board consisting of good friends and family all riding the gravy train to rich town. He built a cult of assholes, and revealed himself to be a giant piece of shit on the level of Trump.

They can't deliver semis either btw, article came out on that today. The company is a shit show and it makes sense, because Elon runs it, and we see who Elon is plain as day via Twitter. He made Tesla investors eat Solar City to save himself and his family too. Con man and snakeoil salesman that buys his way into things, takes the credit, and then promises vaporware based upon a media created personality that people eat up because we all love a good Phony Stark.

Until they get rid of Elon and that nepotist board, Tesla is fucked. If someone else takes over, well, Tesla has some hope. In the meantime the CT is the Incel Camino Wankpanzer. Couldn't have happened to a shittier CEO though. I hope that guy ends up in a rubber room where he belongs.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
The ineresting bit of that is the 3878 shipped number. I'm not big on the car market but that doesnt sound like a lot!
Automobile manufacturing is one of the most complex forms of manufacturing in the world. Especially in North America and Europe because of the regulations law makers and government agencies have put in place. To put it into perspective it rivals silicon wafer manufacturing.

I like to give credit were credit is due and it is simply amazing that Tesla brought an automobile from concept to delivery in such a short time even if that number is small. No other automobile manufacturer in North America could have done it so quickly.

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011

* fully refundable
The manufacturing facility were the Cybertruck is assembled is still under construction. In 2023 Tesla spent $770 million on an expansion plan for the Austin based plant to fulfill existing orders.

As we all know facilities of this size just don't snap themselves into existence it takes time. If you don't believe me just look at how long it is taking TSMC to build their facility in Arizona. I believe they recently announced it is slated to come online in 2027 or 2028 and that is a $40 billion facility.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Automobile manufacturing is one of the most complex forms of manufacturing in the world. Especially in North America and Europe because of the regulations law makers and government agencies have put in place. To put it into perspective it rivals silicon wafer manufacturing.

I like to give credit were credit is due and it is simply amazing that Tesla brought an automobile from concept to delivery in such a short time even if that number is small. No other automobile manufacturer in North America could have done it so quickly.
The bullshit is strong with this one.

Ford announced the F-150 Lightning in Jan 2019, and first delivery was in May 2022.

I'm not exactly a Tesla doomer, but the Cybertruck's prospects look a lot different now than they were just two years ago. The good news here is that nobody is winning and it's very early days, so any "first mover" advantage is not that important IMO. Nobody is saying that Tesla should already be making tens of thousands of CTs per month; ramp up time for any new vehicle platform does indeed take some time. Tesla is aiming for a 20k/month run rate next year.

We won't really know if there's a demand problem until late this year at the earliest.

Finally, Tesla isn't building a new Gigafactory from scratch just for Cybertruck so comparing the production scaling problem to building a brand new $40B fab is totally misleading.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The manufacturing facility were the Cybertruck is assembled is still under construction. In 2023 Tesla spent $770 million on an expansion plan for the Austin based plant to fulfill existing orders.

As we all know facilities of this size just don't snap themselves into existence it takes time. If you don't believe me just look at how long it is taking TSMC to build their facility in Arizona. I believe they recently announced it is slated to come online in 2027 or 2028 and that is a $40 billion facility.
Auto plant is nowhere as complex as a silicon wafer plant. And TSMC has stated AZ delay was due to qualified staff shortage.

TSMC Fab 18 has over 160,000 m² of cleanroom area. Or about 25 standard football pitch.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Elon was dropping hints about it 10 years ago and was releasing promo videos with it it 5 years ago. It was supposed to be released 3 years ago.
I'm not going to mention the reverse feature creep that's happened and the increase in price.
Tesla is an existing vehicle manufacturer, they should know how to do this shit. Someone like Rivian then yeah, it was impressive that they set up a company from nothing and released a relatively well accepted vehicle in good numbers.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

short time? not only is it late as hell, they totally under delivered on the models and pricing was not even in the same ballpark. I mean a change is ok but they completely missed all the marks. it's a totally half-baked release at all, let's not pretend this is a real release.

it's barely on the market too, they have delivered so few and now they've all been recalled and deliveries were paused due to a big issue already. bro, you are really really drinking the kool-aid. man oh man. sad to see you double down on this nonsense.

oh I came to post this - not very good drainage. this is why you will void your warranty and your wankpanzer will stop working after being in a car wash. indeed, manufacturing is very complex

439253908_1806055099905713_8647404948508601932_n.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Elon was dropping hints about it 10 years ago and was releasing promo videos with it it 5 years ago. It was supposed to be released 3 years ago.
I'm not going to mention the reverse feature creep that's happened and the increase in price.
Tesla is an existing vehicle manufacturer, they should know how to do this shit. Someone like Rivian then yeah, it was impressive that they set up a company from nothing and released a relatively well accepted vehicle in good numbers.
Dropping hints about a future product it not the same as having an actual functioning prototype. In the automotive manufacturing space 10 years or more to bring a new vehicle to market can be considered normal.

The fact that Tesla did it so quickly on an all new platform not an existing one already in their line up is impressive.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Ford announced the F-150 Lightning in Jan 2019, and first delivery was in May 2022.

I'm not exactly a Tesla doomer, but the Cybertruck's prospects look a lot different now than they were just two years ago. The good news here is that nobody is winning and it's very early days, so any "first mover" advantage is not that important IMO. Nobody is saying that Tesla should already be making tens of thousands of CTs per month; ramp up time for any new vehicle platform does indeed take some time. Tesla is aiming for a 20k/month run rate next year.

We won't really know if there's a demand problem until late this year at the earliest.

Finally, Tesla isn't building a new Gigafactory from scratch just for Cybertruck so comparing the production scaling problem to building a brand new $40B fab is totally misleading.
yeah dude this guy has gone full Elon kool-aid. misleading bullshit to defend the worst of the worst.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011

The Lightning used the already existing F-150 platform. A more fair comparison would be the Ford Mustang Mach-E since it is widely considered Fords first ever built from the ground up EV.

Even then the Mach-E still uses a highly modified version of the C2 platform.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Auto plant is nowhere as complex as a silicon wafer plant. And TSMC has stated AZ delay was due to qualified staff shortage.

TSMC Fab 18 has over 160,000 m² of cleamroom area. Or about 20 standard football pitch.
Yeah like I said facilities of this size don't just snap themselves into existence the shit takes time and of course a fab is more complex than automotive manufacturing but automotive manufacturing is still one of the most complex forms in the world.

It ain't like making a goddamn toaster for your bagels bro so don't discount it like that.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah like I said facilities of this size don't just snap themselves into existence the shit takes time and of course a fab is more complex than automotive manufacturing but automotive manufacturing is still one of the most complex forms in the world.

It ain't like making a goddamn toaster for your bagels bro so don't discount it like that.
TSMC AZ 2027-8 is for the second plant. First one is delayed to 2025

Reactions: bbhaag

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
short time? not only is it late as hell, they totally under delivered on the models and pricing was not even in the same ballpark. I mean a change is ok but they completely missed all the marks. it's a totally half-baked release at all, let's not pretend this is a real release.

I'm really glad they released something so non-standard & crazy-looking, but I'm disappointed there's no budget model & no true 500-mile model. Two of the key selling points was a $39k truck & a 500-mile truck. You can supposedly get a $60k base truck next year, and you can get a 470-mile battery-backpack-in-the-bed model that eats up a third of the space, both of which are kind of a bummer. Still cool. If I had a random $100k to throw around, sure. I'll stick with EcoBoost technology for now tho lol.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Dropping hints about a future product it not the same as having an actual functioning prototype. In the automotive manufacturing space 10 years or more to bring a new vehicle to market can be considered normal.

The fact that Tesla did it so quickly on an all new platform not an existing one already in their line up is impressive.

You don't actually know when they initially started development on the truck, so I'm not sure how you can comment whether the time frame was impressive or not. We do know that in November 2019 they showed a basic functioning prototype. It's not uncommon for a manufacturer to take a new platform from concept sketches to development in 8 years. Tesla hasn't ever produced a truck before, so if they did keep with the time line of competitors with experience with that type of platform, then they probably deserve some credit. But obviously with the numerous issues so far, it seems it may have not been long enough.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
You don't actually know when they initially started development on the truck, so I'm not sure how you can comment whether the time frame was impressive or not. We do know that in November 2019 they showed a basic functioning prototype. It's not uncommon for a manufacturer to take a new platform from concept sketches to development in 8 years. Tesla hasn't ever produced a truck before, so if they did keep with the time line of competitors with experience with that type of platform, then they probably deserve some credit. But obviously with the numerous issues so far, it seems it may have not been long enough.
So wouldn't that be more impressive not less impressive. I also love how Tesla is somehow held to a higher standard than any other automotive manufacturer. I own two new Fords bro and Ford has been doing it a lot longer than Tesla has yet some how Ford gets a pass when they spent over $4.8 Billion on recalls last year.

To put that into perspective Ford lost $4.7 Billion on their EV development last year. So the recalls on their ICE vehicles are costing them more than building out an entire new infrastructure for EVs yet nobody cares.

When Tesla issues a recall for the Cybertruck, Model Y, or hell even the Model 3 Twitter, TikTok, and Youtube light up like a fucking fireball.

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
yeah dude this guy has gone full Elon kool-aid. misleading bullshit to defend the worst of the worst.
Your disdain for Elon Musk inhibits your ability to remain objective. You then resort to name calling and derogatory behavior toward others in an attempt to justify your position.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Your disdain for Elon Musk inhibits your ability to remain objective. You then resort to name calling and derogatory behavior toward others in an attempt to justify your position.

You have fallen off the wagon and started to defend the indefensible. It's not just disdain for Musk, which is very well-deserved btw, he is an absolutely horrific person, but it is also for this product and the way Tesla conducts business. And this truck and that company and Musk are completely tied together and inextricably linked. Period. What is one is the other. Deal with it. That's reality.

Constant bullshit lies and totally made up nonsense about their products, from the actual hardware to the dangerous FSD being sold for so long as this real autonomous solution when it is nothing but a beta product that will never get past Level 2 with this hardware. You are drinking the kool aid and it's pathetic. The CT can't get out of the way of it's own design as per many actually honest reviews. It can't be in a car wash. And they've managed to deliver under 4k and they are all defective after an already embarrassing launch. It's a joke.

A couple other people have put it pretty plainly too. It's pretty simple, don't buy a product from a total racist abhorrent piece of shit person, which just also happens to be constant design fuck up in the name of just looking differnt, totally overpromised and underdelivered, and a total symbol of the absolute worst things about the literal head of the product, but that somehow attracts men but not any good part of them, just the worst parts of them.

There's been a couple times I have probably said dumb shit to you in the past where I was wrong, and for that I apologize. But for this, you are trash spreading the kool aid of this horrificness. That I will always stand by.

It's not even like you're defending a truly revolutionary great product to excuse supporting this trash person and company. It's peppered with flaws, and some dangerous ones. Either way, it's still inexcusable.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
So wouldn't that be more impressive not less impressive.

I wasn't trying to imply that their time line was less impressive than their peers, only that none of us know how long they were working on it before they rolled one on stage 4.5 years ago.

I own two new Fords bro and Ford has been doing it a lot longer than Tesla has yet some how Ford gets a pass when they spent over $4.8 Billion on recalls last year.

I'm not trying to give them a pass, but Ford has over 20 different vehicles with multiple different engine, transmission, infotainment, duty usage, etc. A large portion of recalls for most manufacturers, and I assume Tesla too, is having to deal with out of spec parts from their suppliers. Do you feel if they only sold 5 products with nearly identical features and build outs across the board, that they'd have drastically less recalls? It feels like it's a bit hard to make a comparison like that when currently their product line ups are so different.

But, I do agree Tesla is under a microscope that others have the pleasure of not experiencing.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I wasn't trying to imply that their time line was less impressive than their peers, only that none of us know how long they were working on it before they rolled one on stage 4.5 years ago.

I'm not trying to give them a pass, but Ford has over 20 different vehicles with multiple different engine, transmission, infotainment, duty usage, etc. A large portion of recalls for most manufacturers, and I assume Tesla too, is having to deal with out of spec parts from their suppliers. Do you feel if they only sold 5 products with nearly identical features and build outs across the board, that they'd have drastically less recalls? It feels like it's a bit hard to make a comparison like that when currently their product line ups are so different.

But, I do agree Tesla is under a microscope that others have the pleasure of not experiencing.

Tesla was under a microscope? Do you know how overvalued their stock has been simply because it was the opposite of being under a microscope but just letting the pathologically lying Elon hype train pump that price up?

If Tesla was under a microscope, we would never have gotten here. Tesla's value is meme stock level, BECAUSE they were constantly given a pass and not under a microscope.