Tesla Cybertruck

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006
What happened to the front of that poor Mazda? Looks like it's been driven through too many and storms!
What happened to that poor Tesla? :)) OMG that stainless steel is not a good idea. If you want to have the car in 10 years, I mean....

• Haha
Reactions: manly

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It's not just the ridiculous 0-60 speeds, it's the ridiculous 0-60 speeds in a land yacht that's driven by people not expecting it.
Traditionally low 0-60s were just in sports cars that are designed with manoeuvrability in mind and were usually bought by people with a bit of experience in driving them.
Yeah that's the salient point. I'm not a boy racer myself, but if someone buys a BMW M5 to take it to the track, more power to them. I'd love to do that too if I had the income, although modern HP has stopped making sense.

Seems like most of the Tesla racing videos are at the drag strip, because they are fast AF but are not known for handling or driving dynamics. Packing that absurd level of power into large vehicles is incredibly dumb, but seems to be the norm here in the States.

What happened to the front of that poor Mazda? Looks like it's been driven through too many and storms!
Kinda funny because the rest of the body looks pretty good. Maybe the upper front is from the junk yard and the owner hasn't bothered to repaint?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Seen a bunch of cyberschmuck fails from owners this past week. But this one was one of the best! It's pretty amazing how few are really out there and how bad the quality really is compared to the bill of sale.

It's the schmuck truck.

From the thread:

"The front part of the wheel well liner disconnected and started rubbing on the wheel. I pulled it back and field repaired it like you do..."

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
From the thread:

"The front part of the wheel well liner disconnected and started rubbing on the wheel. I pulled it back and field repaired it like you do..."
Sounds exactly how you'd expect an off-road capable vehicle to function

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
autoline news got to access to Caresoft mid teardown of a truck. tons of video showing what is inside and how/why they made it that way.
there is still a 12v system.
2 motors on drive by wire front rack, 1 motor onthe rear.
one of the door hinges for the front doors got used on the rear which ended up limiting it from full range of swing.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I mean there isn't any argument. That wheel hub absolutely fits partly over the tyre and there's 7 big "teeth" that fit into indents in the tyre.
You could run whatever tyres you want but I don't think that the wheel hub would fit securely then.

Here's one that's slipped so you can see where the hub should fit the notches.

View attachment 89467

There's a Reddit thread about it (because there's a Reddit thread about everything!)

Looks like they solved this....

...by not shipping them with hubcaps!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah that's the salient point. I'm not a boy racer myself, but if someone buys a BMW M5 to take it to the track, more power to them. I'd love to do that too if I had the income, although modern HP has stopped making sense.

Seems like most of the Tesla racing videos are at the drag strip, because they are fast AF but are not known for handling or driving dynamics. Packing that absurd level of power into large vehicles is incredibly dumb, but seems to be the norm here in the States.

Also, you're not going to get more than 2 or so laps around an actual lap on the limit or near, in a Tesla. Car will be drained. I have no issues with the feeling you get from this instant torque...but also so what? The car is not a performance vehicle. Can you even drive them on the limit around a track? I know they aren't really designed with suspension and chassis dynamics in mind for actual performance, just for efficiency. ....that is fine, if they advertised them that way, but Tesla tries to have it both ways by making absurd claims that these vehicles simply can not back up. Ever.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I have seen one about 4 or 5 times in the wild. The first impression is always, that looks weird. It also looks big. I think because it looks like one solid thing and there are no unbroken lines. Quickly followed by, it just looks weird.

Mar 11, 2004
I finally saw one on the road. It looks like an unfinished prototype like they just made a box shape to test a powertrain. Which, a lot of cars now have styling that looks like someone was using a hatchet on the clay model, and then just gave up on the front and rear fascias, but this just looks like "placeholder, the car". It definitely has weird proportions as well, where it somehow looks both larger and smaller than it is. I think larger in that it has that "tactical dudebro" undercarriage so it sits higher than you'd expect from a shape like that, then topped by a shape that's more sports car-ish, but also more upright. Looks all sorts of wonky.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It's not just the ridiculous 0-60 speeds, it's the ridiculous 0-60 speeds in a land yacht that's driven by people not expecting it.
Traditionally low 0-60s were just in sports cars that are designed with manoeuvrability in mind and were usually bought by people with a bit of experience in driving them.
And had the brakes to stop the car fast too.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Doug finally goes over the Cybertruck and it was worth the wait. He points out so many quirks and features that so many others have missed. It's no surprise his video is trending #1 on YT right now. Love him or hate him the man has his finger on the pulse.

Call me as many condescending names as you want but after watching this.......I think it's kind of cool and I would own/drive one.

Anyway.....

• Love
Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Doug finally goes over the Cybertruck and it was worth the wait. He points out so many quirks and features that so many others have missed. It's no surprise his video is trending #1 on YT right now. Love him or hate him the man has his finger on the pulse.

Call me as many condescending names as you want but after watching this.......I think it's kind of cool and I would own/drive one.

Anyway.....

I love dialectic vehicles! One of my favorite cars was my green OG Kia Soul, aka the Hamstermobile. The Cybertruck is weird, fantastically ugly, and yet an engineering marvel. I'd love to own one, but I don't want to spend $100k on it LOL. Gimme my $39k Cybertruck Elon!!

Reactions: Aharami

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Look I don't think anyone can hold it against people for having bad taste in cars. We all have bad taste in something so everybody picks their battle on that one. Ultimately it would be your money and if you want to buy a ugly car that that can't out of the way of it's own poor design choices, no biggie.

But to actually consider buying a car that represents Elon musk who is one of the most horrific people with a platform today, giving that man a penny, I mean that's where the lack of values comes in. Look we're all going to support corporations somehow that do shitty things. It's impossible to avoid. none of us are going to be purity warriors in that regard.

But with Tesla, the CEO is just advertising his complete lack of any decency and values, So in that case it just becomes impossible to ignore. We can't be doing background checks on every CEO but this guy is advertising his horribleness.