Tesla Cybertruck

Page 74 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Imagine buying a car from this guy. He applies about the same common sense into his business decisions at Tesla

Not a fan of the silver, but I do like the wraps. Saw this out and about the other day. Leave it to trolls to bring in politics and ignorance though, never gets old.

View attachment 98496View attachment 98497

Imagine thinking having some basic morals and standards about the most influential and powerful people among us is ignorance to the neanderthals of our species. Not to mention, dare criticize a company failing in every metric business wise and now that has to be political too. I like how the Elon fanboys have made it easier to spot the shittier humans that walk among us though. It's convenient.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Not a fan of the silver, but I do like the wraps. Saw this out and about the other day. Leave it to trolls to bring in politics and ignorance though, never gets old.

View attachment 98496View attachment 98497

-I appreciate the Tacoma in the picture because it really does highlight how incredibly weird the CT looks.

Somehow simultaneously larger and smaller than you'd think it would be all in one go.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Yeah the Supercharger thing is definitely kind of shocking.

I thought I knew which way the wind was blowing when Tesla's design formed the foundation of NACS, the company could pivot away from the cars and into the infrastructure and secure a huge chunk of a new market.

I feel like Musk is bored of Tesla now. Infrastructure isn't fun and it isn't S3XY. He's having fun with Space X and Tesla is old news. He's going to Xitter it and then bail.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
sandy munro has a big ole blindspot when it comes to elmo. his spin on the supercharger team firing is that now that the network is being used by every maker there is no more need for a sales team and that they will just focus on expanding the network.

im sorry but that is just pure copium bs.
firing your entire team top to bottom because they wouldnt make the massive cost cutting job terminations (to avoid the inevitable stock price fall) is utter suicide.
if it was just the 'sales' team it might sound plausible but cutting the whole team just cements it as a temper tantrum. you are losing point of contact relationships with vendors/suppliers, institutional knowledge on the licensing and leasing of locations, familiarity with state regulations, experience with safety problems and operations history.
not paying your suppliers is a great way to never trust you again.

at some point an actual adult is going to need to bring this corporate suicide to a shareholder vote.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Imagine buying a car from this guy. He applies about the same common sense into his business decisions at Tesla

Imagine thinking having some basic morals and standards about the most influential and powerful people among us is ignorance to the neanderthals of our species. Not to mention, dare criticize a company failing in every metric business wise and now that has to be political too. I like how the Elon fanboys have made it easier to spot the shittier humans that walk among us though. It's convenient.
IIRC the guy you replied to is a known Trumpster, so there's that. :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: zinfamous
Mar 11, 2004
So, after seeing another few on the road, I have a thought about the design. It makes me think boat. I have a strong hunch Elmo was going to legit try to make it amphibious, bit of a shame we missed out on that.

sandy munro has a big ole blindspot when it comes to elmo. his spin on the supercharger team firing is that now that the network is being used by every maker there is no more need for a sales team and that they will just focus on expanding the network.

im sorry but that is just pure copium bs.
firing your entire team top to bottom because they wouldnt make the massive cost cutting job terminations (to avoid the inevitable stock price fall) is utter suicide.
if it was just the 'sales' team it might sound plausible but cutting the whole team just cements it as a temper tantrum. you are losing point of contact relationships with vendors/suppliers, institutional knowledge on the licensing and leasing of locations, familiarity with state regulations, experience with safety problems and operations history.
not paying your suppliers is a great way to never trust you again.

at some point an actual adult is going to need to bring this corporate suicide to a shareholder vote.

Hmm, weird as he was in some video with...I forget who now (think it was the guys from a channel where they're going to start offering electric retrofits to older semi - might be hybrids, I don't recall exactly, think they're Canadian too), where they were invited to a Nikola test day, and they were basically making fun of Tesla's semi, extra weird in that they were doing that via comparison with the Nikola semis.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So, after seeing another few on the road, I have a thought about the design. It makes me think boat. I have a strong hunch Elmo was going to legit try to make it amphibious, bit of a shame we missed out on that.

Hmm, weird as he was in some video with...I forget who now (think it was the guys from a channel where they're going to start offering electric retrofits to older semi - might be hybrids, I don't recall exactly, think they're Canadian too), where they were invited to a Nikola test day, and they were basically making fun of Tesla's semi, extra weird in that they were doing that via comparison with the Nikola semis.
Err it rusts from rain/car wash...

• Haha
Reactions: manly

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I finally saw a CT in the wild. Out in the burbs heading back from an orthopedist appt.

Came up to it on the two lane highway in a bit of a drizzle, it was one lane to the right going slower. I did slow down to pass it slower to check it out. Coming up from the back I had a slight chuckle and grin - from the rear it is so damn ugly. It's like they saw the rear of the Pontiak Aztek and said, hold my beer. But honestly, I can't say if it's truly uglier than the Aztek, but it's at least tied. So that's impressive.

Passing the car and now looking at it from the side, you can kind of see what they were going for, and either they failed, or, even worse, this is how it's supposed to look. I mean it's too angular and boxy, but it just doesn't look like a smoothly built design. It looks off. Perhaps it is the difficulty of working with stainless steel, or whatever it is, it just doesn't look refined at all. It feels sloppily built. Perhaps in the usual steel or even aluminum it may have come out better? I dunno. But whatever they did, it missed. I can see potential in the design after multiple iterations, but as of now, it's a shit ugly car. It looks so out of place. The front is still ugly but looks better than the rear, whatever that says. The lights were on though, I think without the lights on it would look worse.

The Incel Camino and Wank Panzer nicknames are dutifully earned.

also, more layoffs have been happening beyond the 10% original. Including some senior execs, like the head of product launches who resigned saying it was time to go, morale was poor and the time had come to leave - Tesla took its pound of flesh from him.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
What the hell, he should demand a full refund.
Why? He's over the moon right now. They serviced his warranty claim and detailed his new beast. $100k well spent! :tearsofjoy:

Also the lemon laws in the U.S. are fairly restrictive. Once you accept delivery of a new vehicle, a lot of shit has to repeatedly go wrong to successfully demand a refund. There is no cooling-off period on auto sales.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I am sorry, this is human stupidity. Not the vehicle's fault if you purposely stick your finger where you know it can be crushed.
Yeah, right after he snapped the twig in half. :tearsofjoy: Having said that, I believe many vehicles with a power tailgate have sensors so that you won't crush fingers.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah the Supercharger thing is definitely kind of shocking.

I thought I knew which way the wind was blowing when Tesla's design formed the foundation of NACS, the company could pivot away from the cars and into the infrastructure and secure a huge chunk of a new market.

I feel like Musk is bored of Tesla now. Infrastructure isn't fun and it isn't S3XY. He's having fun with Space X and Tesla is old news. He's going to Xitter it and then bail.
he does not have much fun at SpaceX at all, that's why it runs pretty well. He does get some of his inputs in, as we saw with the absolute botched launch when he rammed through the no concrete blast shield. When Elon is in charge, shit happens. Tesla was better when he was more insulated from it. The CT is his debacle though. SpaceX is actually run by the president. This is why NASA even trusts them. Twitter became the biggest shit show the fastest because that was pure Elon, and he is chaotic evil. Tesla definitely had some insulation around him but not as much as SpaceX. Elon seems to have clamped down more on Tesla as the Twitter debacle exposed who he was to a lot of people that weren't paying attention, that he is a giant piece of shit, erratic CEO and mostly a stock pumper with a whole lot of snake-oil. As it became evident the emperor had no clothes to so many people, besides his cult and a lot of middle aged white men, he needed more validation, and seems to have put a stronger grip on Tesla. Part of the reason of the implosion there.

"In an interview with NPR, NASA director Bill Nelson assuages any fears of an unsupervised Elon Musk running a space agency by reminding us that SpaceX is actually run by its president Gwynne Shotwell"

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wow talk about FAFO lol. Not sure what is with the whole trend of wanting to test finger injuries on car hoods. Uhh yeah, a big piece of metal that is closing near another piece of metal, like giant scissors, is going to be dangerous to put your finger in lol.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Mission accomplished!

This is completely insane:

"The engineer told him the frunk increases in pressure every single time it closes and detects resistance, Judkins said. It’s going to assume you want to close the frunk and maybe something like a bag is getting in the way, which would make it close harder."

It should be the opposite - if resistance is detected, it should decrease the pressure instead of just crushing everything as hard as it can. What a joke.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Fuel Fusion Forged Catalyst 22 x 10 -18 offset with 33 x 12.5 x 22 tires

1715442069092.png

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I am sorry, this is human stupidity. Not the vehicle's fault if you purposely stick your finger where you know it can be crushed.
I have kids. I can guarantee that one of them would be leaning on the car as bonnet closed or they'd set it to close while someone else was putting stuff in.

That guy is an idiot though.

Reactions: Zorba

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
  • Haha
Reactions: Zorba and Kaido

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This is completely insane:

"The engineer told him the frunk increases in pressure every single time it closes and detects resistance, Judkins said. It’s going to assume you want to close the frunk and maybe something like a bag is getting in the way, which would make it close harder."

It should be the opposite - if resistance is detected, it should decrease the pressure instead of just crushing everything as hard as it can. What a joke.

I can kind of see their logic. In winter that whole area is full of snow and ice and some might fall in the crack when it's opened. You can scrape it but you're never going to get all of it. I would rather make sure it closes properly then have to keep messing around with trying to figure out where it's binding.