Switching from Nokia Icon to LG G6- questions

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Found a really good deal on ebay so I'm finally retiring the Icon since I can't even get the banking app for Wells Fargo anymore. It's my first Android phone, so I will need to learn the UI, etc. I love the clean and easy to use WP UI but it's days are up and honestly, the Edge browser was pretty crappy.
1) Any good quick start Android guides to recommend?
2) Can I just put the SIM from the Icon in the G6 when I get it and be up and running- I'm on Verizon prepaid?
3) All my pics for the Icon are in my One Drive. Can I set the camera on the G6 to upload to One Drive- I'm guessing there's a One Drive app for Android?
4) I've saved my contacts to both Outlook and Google. Will they import OK?

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Android makes a great Microsoft phone. Seems like it's always been a better place for Microsoft apps than Windows Phones were.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Microsoft Launcher will work perfect for what I need, I think. I didn't realize MS had so many apps for android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.launcher&hl=en_GB

Microsoft pivoted not too long after Nadella took charge. The company basically acknowledged that it wasn't 2001 anymore -- it had to make software and services available beyond Windows if it wanted to succeed.

You might want to give other launchers a shot later on, if just because you'll be full-time on Android and don't want to lean completely on Microsoft software.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Android makes a great Microsoft phone. Seems like it's always been a better place for Microsoft apps than Windows Phones were.

The funny thing is that I've heard people describe iOS as the Switzerland of mobile phone platforms because it's the only one where Apple, Google and Microsoft services live in harmony (you can get Apple Music on Android, but you get the idea).

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Microsoft pivoted not too long after Nadella took charge. The company basically acknowledged that it wasn't 2001 anymore -- it had to make software and services available beyond Windows if it wanted to succeed.

You might want to give other launchers a shot later on, if just because you'll be full-time on Android and don't want to lean completely on Microsoft software.

I saw a WP launcher that basically make the phone look like a WP. Generally good reviews, too. Does the launcher affect the speed and smoothness of the phone?
Most of my email accts are fwd to my gmail so I might just use the built in google app for mail but I guess if I use outlook, it will sync with my computer/laptop like my WP does now.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I saw a WP launcher that basically make the phone look like a WP. Generally good reviews, too. Does the launcher affect the speed and smoothness of the phone?
Most of my email accts are fwd to my gmail so I might just use the built in google app for mail but I guess if I use outlook, it will sync with my computer/laptop like my WP does now.

It depends on the launcher -- it's rarely a tangible difference, and in many cases the real performance factors are OEM processes. A visually intense launcher might do it.

I think you can actually set up third-party accounts like Outlook accounts in the Gmail app, but I haven't had to do it (even my work account is a G Suite account)!

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Not criticizing, but is there any reason you dont want a Nokia Android?

I love my Icon, great phone and great 20MP camera. If I could somehow reflash the phone with android, I would since after almost 4 years it still has good specs. I don't think you can get any of the new Nokia phones that will work on Verizon. I was on a budget and the used G6's are a terrific value- basically flagship phone for 200-250.00, and they have a very good camera which was one of the important criteria. The other phone I was looking at was the LG V20. Also close to flagship specs with a lot of features but they are just too big for me... but, cheap- usually 150-180.00 on ebay.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Got the G6 and already don't like it- well Google. They don't have a desktop app that DL pics to your computer like OneDrive. They all go in Google photos and you have to DL them manually. And, they all seem to get downsized. Pretty annoying. But, Gmail does sync automatically with Outlook on my computer. Not sure about the calendar, though.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Gradually acclimating... only way I have found to get full size pictures off the phone is to connect it to the computer with a USB cable.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Got the G6 and already don't like it- well Google. They don't have a desktop app that DL pics to your computer like OneDrive. They all go in Google photos and you have to DL them manually. And, they all seem to get downsized. Pretty annoying. But, Gmail does sync automatically with Outlook on my computer. Not sure about the calendar, though.

Google Photos is supposed to maintain the resolution of all photos 16MP or less without eating into your Google Drive storage amount -- that should include the G6 at last check. I'd check Photos' settings to see what it's uploading. I've never been too particularly fussed about the lack of automatic downloads to a computer, since I usually only need photos locally when I intend to edit them or upload them somewhere else.

Google Calendar definitely syncs with Outlook, so that shouldn't be an issue. You just have to subscribe to it.

Reactions: spdfreak

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
The same picture from Google Photos is 1.24MB vs 2.72 for the original. I have the acct set to use original and not the "high quality" 16MB setting- although as you said, it shouldn't matter. It is downsizing all of the pictures which is fine for email, posting, etc but not for archiving.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The same picture from Google Photos is 1.24MB vs 2.72 for the original. I have the acct set to use original and not the "high quality" 16MB setting- although as you said, it shouldn't matter. It is downsizing all of the pictures which is fine for email, posting, etc but not for archiving.

Ah, you're talking file size. Google does say that it's compressing photos using a virtually-no-loss format -- it may be doing that regardless of resolution.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Not sure how they can cut file size in half and keep the same quality... I'm going to look at a few side by side and see if I can see a difference.
I'm looking for something as seamless as One Drive- take a picture and it shows up in the camera roll folder full size on the computer. So, if I use the Google Drive backup and sync, will it actually DL the pics to my computer?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Not sure how they can cut file size in half and keep the same quality... I'm going to look at a few side by side and see if I can see a difference.
I'm looking for something as seamless as One Drive- take a picture and it shows up in the camera roll folder full size on the computer. So, if I use the Google Drive backup and sync, will it actually DL the pics to my computer?

I think Backup & Sync is mainly meant for posting your PC's photos to Google Photos, alas. Apple's iCloud Photo Library is closer to what you'd like, but of course that requires iOS and a Mac.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
One Drive worked perfect. Google Drive is a mess.
I've been playing around with it, and it always reduces the file size. It will sync with a folder on the computer but it is always the smaller file size that it creates in Google Drive. Checking the "original" size, has no effect. Only way I can keep originals is to connect the phone to the computer. The good side is that the smaller pics are very good. You can see minor differences but you have to zoom way in.

Reactions: maevinj

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
One Drive worked perfect. Google Drive is a mess.
I've been playing around with it, and it always reduces the file size. It will sync with a folder on the computer but it is always the smaller file size that it creates in Google Drive. Checking the "original" size, has no effect. Only way I can keep originals is to connect the phone to the computer. The good side is that the smaller pics are very good. You can see minor differences but you have to zoom way in.

Hey, just realized... have you tried OneDrive for Android? That should do the trick, and you can back up to Google Drive as well if you want.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Sweet, I didn't realize that One Drive would upload pics directly from the camera. I found the setting and it works perfect. Full size pics show up in the One Drive folder on the computer. I'll keep the Google photos for emailing, posting, etc. Best of both worlds.