Question simplest way to set up PC with dongle/card for 5g cellular data in remote area?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
One of my son's friends has no internet, because he is living in a remote rural area with no wired internet.

I found myself thinking about cellular data, but he is really on a budget. I wish someone offered unlimited 500k or 1mbps data for $10 or so a month, but I haven't been able to find that. I did recently find a provider that offered about 10GB of high speed, with unlimited 256k, for about 10 bucks. I suppose that might be as good as he could get.

That being said, is there a USB dongle with antenna or something where he could just insert the sim card, and directly get data on the PC? They charge an extra 50% a month for wifi hot spot, so he wouldn't want to go that route. 256k seems pretty slow, but at least he could stream music, browse internet, and check email. $100 or so a year seems reasonable to add internet access like this.

If you have any recommendations for a usb device that could easily add this, I would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
No need to pull his sim card and put in a dongle. Of course he is going to find his own cheap data plan, however.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Wow, that seems a lot simpler than I had thought. I'm pretty sure we have about 8 cell phones lying around that are all 3 years old or less. One of those, along with the USB cable, should be all he needs, along with a sim card with data plan.

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Wow, that seems a lot simpler than I had thought. I'm pretty sure we have about 8 cell phones lying around that are all 3 years old or less. One of those, along with the USB cable, should be all he needs, along with a sim card with data plan.
Hmm. I think the old phones I have are stuck to the Tracfone network. Wouldn't that mean that the sim card & data wouldn't work with it?