Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 1475 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 17, 2019
As mines go they aren't the ones most EOD are worried about. Takes a lot of pressure to make them go off, you only want a tank triggering it after all, not a foot soldier. They usually aren't that sensitive. TM-62 I think, my guess is maybe Yuri tried to disarm without the wire safety clip you need. Ooops.

Poor guys, at least it was quick for the one touching it. Like 20lbs of explosive directed up and that guy had his head right over it. :frowning: Cut to black, no delay.
The closest I ever got was making sure the seat pins were in place and undisturbed before dropping head first into F-106s and F-4s, but I've heard there were some nasties out there. The click didn't get you, it was the unclick. Foot on set it, and you knew it. Foot off, well ....

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004

Poland rounding up Ukrainians to send them to fight Russia. Not very good for Ukrainian men, but this is not unexpected, as Polish-Ukrainian relations not the best. Polish people a little "unhappy" with so many Ukrainians in their country.

Ukrainians telling truth by mistake?!

Some battlefield news:

"The Russian army broke through the enemy’s defenses in the Kharkov region, occupying almost half of Kislovka

During the offensive operation that began a day ago, units of the "West" group of troops knocked out the Ukrainian Armed Forces from several lines of defense and broke into Kislovka, occupying about half of the settlement in the Kupyansky district.

The assault on the village continues, our artillery is actively working on the enemy. Cluster bombs were also used to break into defensive lines, the Military Correspondents of the Russian Spring report "

So this is continuation of the slow capture of land but a very brutal destruction of the Ukrainian military, unfortunately. This might explain why embassies in Kharkov were evacuating people before. Kharkov is in danger of capture, and this is a big Ukrainian city.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Kharkov is in danger of capture

The Russians couldn't capture it when they had it totally surrounded in 2022 for two months. They could try to raze it like Mariupol but Belgorod likely to be history along with it.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Some more battlefield and other news:

"Each day, Russian units methodically capture and hoist their flag over one village after another. The situation is increasingly precarious as Ukrainian forces confront potential encirclements in several regions. Krasnohorivka now finds itself bifurcated, with its eastern sector isolated from the remainder of the town. In response to growing threats, Ukraine is bolstering its defenses in the Sumy region, likely influenced by intelligence reports of a looming Russian offensive. Concurrently, Secretary Blinken has visited China in an attempt to dissuade them from supporting Russia, an effort that the Chinese government has declined."

So America has now resorted to begging Chinese for not helping their ally Russia? This is similar to weak German leader Scholz visiting China recently, and having a TikTok account, because he knows how important China is to Germany. So it appears the West is showing so much weakness in front of China. Looks very desperate.

This a reminder to show that Germany is not stupid to move away from China. Based on Olaf Scholz embracing TikTok, the opposite might be happening?!

33919247-olaf-scholz-sdp-am-29-februar-2024-bei-einem-ortstermin-in-dresden-Le9.jpg

More silly TikTok news to come. Western nations are realizing TikTok is very popular.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004

German government needs TikTok, Scholz says, as AfD surges in polls​

Good luck American politicians trying to ban TikTok in Germany.

Look at that cute TikTok video of Olaf:

So Germany does realize that they cannot blindly follow America into everything.

Despite American politicians trying to ban TikTok in America, the Europeans are embracing TikTok:

EU politicians embrace TikTok despite data security concerns​

Last edited:

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
The Russians couldn't capture it when they had it totally surrounded in 2022 for two months. They could try to raze it like Mariupol but Belgorod likely to be history along with it.
Valid points and it does remain to be seen. But Russians are now more forceful in their approach now and Ukrainians seem less resistant. Fighting is now village by village and town by town.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
You must realize that I like to get news from "diverse" sources and try to stay away from sensationalist ones. These sources are saying similar things to what we can see so it is most likely these are not fabrications. If they are, I won't use them. I mean, for example, there is a site for live maps of Ukraine and this is a pro-Ukraine website. I use them, along with several other Ukraine-based or Ukraine-affiliated websites.

If I see crazy things posted that sound unreasonable, I will question them and will not use them. Simple as that.

Can I keep some of this China/Germany news coming? Good source here.

The reason for this is related to the pivotal position of China and Germany as the world's second- and third-largest economies in the current changing international situation, and also to the public's close attention to the impact this visit will have on China-Germany and even China-EU relations. Judging from the "grand" visiting delegation of three federal ministers and many business leaders sent by Germany, as well as the overall itinerary, the importance of China-Germany relations to both sides is beyond doubt. More importantly, through a series of close interactions, China and Germany will once again prove that they are partners who can work together to cope with changes, and that there is still great potential for practical cooperation.

In the current European public opinion environment, Scholz's visit has been set with some "issues" and "difficulties." At one moment, it was hoped that he could show more of Europe's "tough" attitude on issues such as the Russia-Ukraine conflict, the Taiwan Straits and human rights. At another moment, it was suggested that at this delicate moment when the US and Europe threaten to crack down on Chinese goods in the subsidy dispute, Germany should not hold an "ambiguous" attitude.

So I see that China is extremely important to Germany in so many ways. I am sure Washington understands this and lets Germany manage its own country without too much interference.

Acceptable source, yes?

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Blah blah, these things are actually happening. Nothing posted can be disproven unless you can say otherwise. Are those towns not being captured?

If so, let me know and I will edit. Simple as that. I am not hard to work with on these issues.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Valid points and it does remain to be seen. But Russians are now more forceful in their approach now and Ukrainians seem less resistant. Fighting is now village by village and town by town.

RU hasn't even reached the main defense line outside Kupiansk yet and faces very unfavorable terrain west of the Oskil river which they have not tried to cross. Kharkiv is not in real danger of capture and I think it is very unlikely it could even be attempted without another major incursion from the Belgorod direction (which has since seen substantial fortification).

Reactions: Roger Wilco

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It's really weird that @raildogg is now essentially refusing to supply sources. Not sure how we're supposed to take the person that won't disclose where they are from and now posts completely unsourced posts that we're supposed to accept as fact seriously.

The troll game is getting worse and worse. It's just so sad that this is all this forum rates anymore.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
I do supply sources you just have to read. Calling people trolls is 2015 or something. Is this a new tactic you are employing? Simply dismissing material you disagree with? Well, like I said, I use diverse sources and some of these you will not like. Others are just Western propaganda media, such as NY Times, etc. I don't mind using them.

I use live interactive map sites sometimes, sometimes foreign country sites, social media etc. I am not afraid to venture outside of Western media, maybe you should do the same. It is OK, not too scary.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Seems the reports of Russian advancements were not fabrications as people have alluded to here:

If Russia seizes Chasiv Yar, it will be able to attack "defensive belt" of many settlements – ISW report​

Russian forces are stabilizing their small salient northwest of Avdiivka and may make further tactical gains that could cause Ukrainian forces to withdraw from other tactical positions along the frontline west of Avdiivka to a more defensible line.

You can read further if you wish:

Oh and Ukrainska Pravda reported this, a Ukrainian site. You cannot say they are fake news now, can you?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Aww looksie someone is mad.

‘They’re not $10 million, only 3 to 4 million!’

Ok bud I will retract my statement and correct it for you:

$500 cheap drones taking out $3-$4 million dollar tanks LOL

While the Abrams tanks have been benched, the Russian turtle tanks stay on the field.

Your constant logic and math fails are actually a source of regular hilarity around here, we even thank you for it.

Just like now; you're trying to pretend a cheap drone taking out a donated tank is worse than AFU drones roasting things hundreds of millions of dollars more expensive (and can't be replaced.)

Heehee, keep going! We like it when you make yourself into even more of a joke, laughter is the point. :grinning:

If a cheap drone taking out an easy to produce $4 million tank is funny, then a cheap drone taking out a ~$140million aircraft must blow your empty, vapid mind, right?

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I do supply sources you just have to read. Calling people trolls is 2015 or something. Is this a new tactic you are employing? Simply dismissing material you disagree with? Well, like I said, I use diverse sources and some of these you will not like. Others are just Western propaganda media, such as NY Times, etc. I don't mind using them.

I use live interactive map sites sometimes, sometimes foreign country sites, social media etc. I am not afraid to venture outside of Western media, maybe you should do the same. It is OK, not too scary.
You’re a troll. Sorry you stopped evolving in 2015.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
An honor if it comes from people like you.

You people bullied several posters from further commenting I see. Our new member Mahboi even stopped coming to this thread. Well, I must tell you that bully tactics will not work on me. I will continue to post what I think needs to be posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Young Grasshopper

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
More support on the way

"(Bloomberg) -- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin confirmed Friday a $6 billion commitment for long-term contracts to provide Ukraine with weapons such as Patriot missiles, artillery ammunition and drones.

Austin laid out a broad commitment but not signed contracts, which would be likely to take months to complete under the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative for systems that would then be delivered over time. He spoke at the Pentagon after a virtual meeting of the Ukraine Defense Contract Group, which provides military support to Ukraine in its fight against Russia’s invasion.

The defense chief highlighted some of the systems that would eventually be sent to Ukraine under the initiative: Patriot missile interceptors made by RTX Corp. and Lockheed Martin Corp. as well as munitions for National Advanced Surface-to-Air-Missile Systems, artillery ammunition, ground-to-air munitions and Switchblade and Puma attack drones. Austin acknowledged Ukraine’s need for more Patriot batteries, not only the interceptors they fire, saying he’s been working with European counterparts in an effort to find countries willing to give up the prized batteries.

The $6 billion in contracts is separate from Presidential Drawdown Authority packages that pull equipment from US inventories for fast deployments and later replenishment. “We are going to move as fast as we can — as fast as the industry can produce,” Austin told reporters.

More 155, PACs and NASAMS going to Ukraine is great news. May they give it wings.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
An honor if it comes from people like you.

You people bullied several posters from further commenting I see. Our new member Mahboi even stopped coming to this thread. Well, I must tell you that bully tactics will not work on me. I will continue to post what I think needs to be posted.

This is not a safe space for liars, cowards or fanbois of fascist war crimes. We've been over this.

If you had even the faintest clue about history, warfare and politics, and could bring yourself to post about them honestly instead of embarrassing yourself for Russians, perhaps your experience here would be closer to what honest people encounter. Ever think of that? Sounds like Mahboi took the clue you can't, or won't. I guess you're the dumb one then.

But I must tell you, your pathetic shilling for Russian genocide will not work here. We will continue to expose you as the lying piece of shit you are, and laugh accordingly.

UcLa posted something here that sums it very well, you should go read it.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004

The front in the east of the Kharkov region has become more active. After intense artillery fire and air strikes, our troops drove the enemy out of the eastern and southeastern parts of Kislovka. At one time, the enemy returned this settlement under his control and largely dug into it. Now at least 40% of the territory of this village has come under the control of the Russian armed forces.

Kislovka is located north of Krahmalny, previously liberated by our troops, and north-east of Tabaevka. The western outskirts of this village are practically adjacent to a major highway leading to Kupyansk.

This is not Anandtech friendly source, so I am sorry to say that. But it is interesting regardless.

It seems either Kislovka has fallen or there is much contention over it. Similar to the post I made very recently.

(These are battlefield developments, not my opinions or something I support or anything. I don't support one side over another to be particular, I urge negotiations. Even the Pope says to negotiate.)

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
More support on the way

"(Bloomberg) -- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin confirmed Friday a $6 billion commitment for long-term contracts to provide Ukraine with weapons such as Patriot missiles, artillery ammunition and drones.

Austin laid out a broad commitment but not signed contracts, which would be likely to take months to complete under the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative for systems that would then be delivered over time. He spoke at the Pentagon after a virtual meeting of the Ukraine Defense Contract Group, which provides military support to Ukraine in its fight against Russia’s invasion.

The defense chief highlighted some of the systems that would eventually be sent to Ukraine under the initiative: Patriot missile interceptors made by RTX Corp. and Lockheed Martin Corp. as well as munitions for National Advanced Surface-to-Air-Missile Systems, artillery ammunition, ground-to-air munitions and Switchblade and Puma attack drones. Austin acknowledged Ukraine’s need for more Patriot batteries, not only the interceptors they fire, saying he’s been working with European counterparts in an effort to find countries willing to give up the prized batteries.

The $6 billion in contracts is separate from Presidential Drawdown Authority packages that pull equipment from US inventories for fast deployments and later replenishment. “We are going to move as fast as we can — as fast as the industry can produce,” Austin told reporters.

More 155, PACs and NASAMS going to Ukraine is great news. May they give it wings.

-Russian missiles about to see what RTX ON looks like

I'm here all day folks...
:p

• Haha