RESOLVED: HOW STOOO-PID! TROUBLESHOOTING: The Aftermath Saga of my Jan 13, 2021 Vaping-Pen Accident

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I should apologize to everyone who wasted their own time reading through this thread.

THIS IS REALLY STUPID. I suppose that taking my time in getting around to fixing my "fails to post on boot" problem was a wise thing to do.

But guess what? GUESS WHAT?! It was all the result of leaving a software CD in my optical drive this summer! I had put it in there about a week before going through a routine restart. THAT WAS THE PROBLEM! I was lucky that I decided to eject the optical drive in my last attempt to boot and enter the BIOS.

AND -- thank God!! -- ASUS saves all your overclocking profiles even if you clear the CMOS! Back in business!

I JUST FEEL . . . . REEEE-ALLY FREAKING STUPID!

=====================================

I KNOW -- probably (or I bet) -- that VirtualLarry and maybe others are going to post some witty remarks here -- if inclined. That's OK! We've been through this already, with posts I've made earlier in the year.

I replaced the motherboard, CPU and RAM for my main computer to resolve my blown motherboard USB controller -- up and running again at end of March. I didn't wait for an ASUS RMA for the board: I found an "open-box" offering on EBay, and bought it. I still have the fresh ASUS RMA replacement new in its box. ASUS simply replaces their boards for damages like the one I had. It had been under 5 year warranty, and I was half-way through the fourth year. I think I was selectively candid to ASUS about what was wrong, less candid about what caused it to be wrong. ASUS has a very reliable RMA record, even if they can take up to two weeks. Three thumbs up for ASUS! This was the second RMA with them in about 15 years. They always replace their boards.

I bought a new processor and new RAM. I didn't NEED to do it, but I was too curious about the "TOC" of the INtel TIC and TOC -- so I did. I also bought new RAM, because I wanted to see what I could do with the command-rate for a two-stick set instead of four 8GB sticks. My money. Also -- my spare parts. I also acquired all the peripheral items needed to build a second machine by last March. Waiting on the back burner.

In July, I routinely needed to restart my system, and it came up with fans running at the appropriate speeds, drive lights flickering as if being enumerated, but failing to post, the monitor showing nothing.

Well, folks, It's been a hard summer. I manage all the family's accounts for a crippled brother drawing SSDI, my long-retired 96-year-old Moms (with great health-care insurance), and myself. I have to do all the shopping. I have to order and assemble such things as a $2,300 wheel-chair trolley to get Moms up and down stairs, and file the Medicare Part B claims. I have to fill out VA forms to see if I can't get additional assistance for Moms -- many pages. I have to keep our two cars running tip-top. I have to be Moms' short-order cook, and I change diapers, clothing, absorbent bed pads and sometimes all the bedding -- once a day. I am expert now at sewage and waste disposal. I'm trying to keep a kitchen garden just to convince myself I have a life. We eat well --- I canned 2.5 gallons of pasta sauce this summer.

So after July, I put the repair of the computer on the back burner. I researched the web, plotted, planned, evaluated what it would most likely be. It wasn't the PSU. I put that matter to rest just four days ago.

Unless the Silicon Lottery re-lidding job with Griz Conductonaut was flawed, unless the previous customer who returned the motherboard in less than a month had done something terrible that didn't show up when the reseller tested the board and offered it on EBay, and unless the G.SKILL Trident-Z 2x16=32GB of RAM were somehow damaged for no possible reason, that leaves only the two NVME PCIE x4 drives and a Marvell SATA controller. It's now pretty clear that the problem is not the graphics card.

Who can offer first-hand accounts of symptoms, signs and observations arising from an NVME failure? My boot drive and caching drive are both Samsung 960 NVME sticks.

I never bother to put a motherboard Piezo speaker on my system with my latest builds. They're never more than $2.50 each and you can get 10 for about $10, so I have a pair arriving tomorrow (Monday, 15 November). I won't do anything more until I hear the beep codes, expecting that the MSI BIOS will throw either 5 beeps or 6. 6 gives all the weight to the original PCIE cards, less weight to a (new) motherboard problem, and even less weight to a chance of CPU failure. 5 means I'll have to swap the processor for the brand-new locked Intel "TIC" that I acquired -- yet to use even once.

So while I wait, maybe some members can offer their anecdotes about NVME failure. Since the summer restart failure, I've tried to cold-boot the system about 10 times, hitting the shutdown button within a minute or so. For the most part, the computer has been switched off and unplugged except for these attempts to boot. I've reset the CMOS to default.

If you wonder why I'm going so slow with this, I explained it. But I can absolutely confirm, for being age 74, what the aging crippled lawman says at the end of "No Country for Old Men": "More and more is going out the door all the time, and you just want to get a tourniquet on it."

Last edited: