Question Recommend KVM switch that's reliable

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Seems like trying to find a reliable KVM switch that is HDMI and USB, and supports 4k is like trying to find the holy grail. I had found one, the TESmart ones off Amazon. Unfortunately, it turns out they are NOT reliable. I own 3 of them, and all 3 of them are now starting to have ports that just randomly die. The USB will just die out and you get no mouse or keyboard on that port. Had one die on me yesterday at work, and now the one at my house died too. I'm down to 2 ports that work now and need 3, so had to swap with the other one that I was using only for the top monitor so only need HDMI for that one. After this I'm pretty much screwed. I rely heavily on these both at home and at work because I don't have physical space for separate workstations. At home I have a gaming machine, my daily driver, and then my work PC when working from home. Need to be able to easily switch between them. At work I have my work PC and a NUC I use for web surfing.

Basically I need something that supports 4k at 60hz minimum, and USB. 4 port preferred. Also it needs to do port emulation. Part of the reason why I use them is so that my systems don't go completely haywire when I turn them off. My work PC will shuffle windows all over the place and make a huge mess. I don't care spending good money if it's actually going to be reliable. I used to recommend these TESmart ones but unfortunately can't anymore. They just randomly start to have ports die on them after a while.

Feb 25, 2011
I've been using one of these since January to switch behind work/home PCs; no major issues yet.

As far as port emulation - I haven't noticed any issues with windows placement on my work PC, but if my home PC is using a "fullscreen application" when I switch/back sometimes the UI scaling gets weird.