Discussion RDNA4 + CDNA3 Architectures Thread

Page 85 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
1655034287489.png
1655034259690.png

1655034485504.png

With the GFX940 patches in full swing since first week of March, it is looking like MI300 is not far in the distant future!
Usually AMD takes around 3Qs to get the support in LLVM and amdgpu. Lately, since RDNA2 the window they push to add support for new devices is much reduced to prevent leaks.
But looking at the flurry of code in LLVM, it is a lot of commits. Maybe because US Govt is starting to prepare the SW environment for El Capitan (Maybe to avoid slow bring up situation like Frontier for example)

See here for the GFX940 specific commits
Or Phoronix

There is a lot more if you know whom to follow in LLVM review chains (before getting merged to github), but I am not going to link AMD employees.

I am starting to think MI300 will launch around the same time like Hopper probably only a couple of months later!
Although I believe Hopper had problems not having a host CPU capable of doing PCIe 5 in the very near future therefore it might have gotten pushed back a bit until SPR and Genoa arrives later in 2022.
If PVC slips again I believe MI300 could launch before it :grimacing:

This is nuts, MI100/200/300 cadence is impressive.

1655034362046.png

Previous thread on CDNA2 and RDNA3 here

Last edited:

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
@leoneazzurro

Cost to make = cost to manufacture + testing + binning + R&D + etc

You are the one who claimed that they talk about the cost to make, but leave out those other costs, when it is you who did the slight of hand by replacing 'cost to manufacture' with 'cost to make.'

not surprisingly, there are similar criticism to that video in the comments below it.

And it's perfectly fine to comment that. In fact, I upvoted at least one such comment after I watched that video way back. But that is not because the video is wrong, but because many people are not so smart and do not understand what BOM costs really are.

Ian's channel is aimed at the more knowledgeable and smart person, so I don't see why he was being wrong. Everything he said was fairly reasonable and he has no obligation to dumb down his video's or to make them much longer and include many more things.

First, what he is listing is not the full BOM: sure, these are probably the most expensive parts of the BOM but BOM includes also auxiliary/interconnect materials, external packaging (blisters, carton boxes, down to instructions fliers).

The cost of packaging is not the cost of the product itself. It's perfectly fine to leave the packaging out, especially since you can actually often buy chips with different packaging (boxed, tray or OEM), so those costs are not actually the same for each buyer.

These are cost accounting basics.

Except that the viewers are not necessarily accountants and they don't have to have the same goal. For example, if you want to compare costs across chips, or want to know the minimum price that things can be sold for, then it is a bad idea to include costs that can vary greatly based on how premium the packaging is, fixed costs whose price per unit depends greatly on total volume, etc.

Last edited:

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
@leoneazzurro

Cost to make = cost to manufacture + testing + binning + R&D + etc

You are the one who claimed that they talk about the cost to make, but leave out those other costs, when it is you who did the slight of hand by replacing 'cost to manufacture' with 'cost to make.'

No, it's the video author claiming that. I pointed even the exact time in the video where this is done, at least twice. And, what is the difference you are making between "cost to manufacture" and "cost to make"? Are you thinking they are two different things (as the author of the video, not me, uses these terms indifferently)? Or are you thinking one is the direct cost and the other is the total cost (but the video never mentione the difference)? Because, in any case, the 69$ figure is wrong as both "cost to manufacture" and "cost to make" (in the way you are using these terms) must include labour, testing and binning, and tooling. When speaking about costs, other than the BOM osts, there are the DIRECT COSTS OF PRODUCTION and TOTAL COST OF PRODUCTION - which are the correct terms for cost acounting. TOTAL COST=DIRECT COSTS+INDIRECT COSTS. DIRECT COSTS=BOM+DEPRECIATION+LABOUR+TESTING+BINNING+OTHER (OTHER depends on the accounting method, generally tooling, production overheads, service, etc.)
No company in the world will not use labour, depreciation, testing and binning, and tooling in determining the DIRECT COSTS OF PRODUCTION. And according to the accounting method, there may be other costs computed in that can increase even more this number.
And in the case you think that calling BOM costs as "cost to manufacture" is correct, the answer is no,nope, nyet, these are two different things.

And it's perfectly fine to comment that. In fact, I upvoted at least one such comment after I watched that video way back. But that is not because the video is wrong, but because many people are not so smart and do not understand what BOM costs really are.

Ian's channel is aimed at the more knowledgeable and smart person, so I don't see why he was being wrong. Everything he said was fairly reasonable and he has no obligation to dumb down his video's or to make them much longer and include many more things.
Quite frankly, no. The concept of BOM cost is fairly easy (the sum of the costs of the raw material used), and it is very easy to explain to the casual viewer that BOM is only a part, sometimes a slight part, of the total cost to manufacture of a product. To speak about "cost to manufacture" or "cost to make" (again, it's not me, but the video author doing so) instead of "cost of the material" is misleading because in the direct costs to manufacture you have to include at least the labour, tooling, equipment depreciation, and testing. None of these are even mentioned in the video, where the only calculation is related to die costs and a supposed packaging cost, which again are only the raw material costs.
And this even worse for someone knowledgeable, because a knowledgeable person would facepalm in seeing the improper use of accounting terms. If the author of the video would have titled it "Die cost estimation for Zen4 processors" it would have been fine, if he titles it "cost to manufacture of a 7950X" it is simply wrong.

The cost of packaging is not the cost of the product itself. It's perfectly fine to leave the packaging out, especially since you can actually often buy chips with different packaging (boxed, tray or OEM), so those costs are not actually the same for each buyer.
The cost of packaging is part of the cost of the product. It may vary but it is still part of the BOM! And I spoke not only about the costs of the packaging, but also auxiliary materials. And, as told, the cost of manufacturing the product is quite different from the cost of the BOM!

Except that the viewers are not necessarily accountants and they don't have to have the same goal. For example, if you want to compare costs across chips, or want to know the minimum price that things can be sold for, then it is a bad idea to include costs that can vary greatly based on how premium the packaging is, fixed costs whose price per unit depends greatly on total volume, etc.
And again, this is exactly why the video is misleading, as the BOM cost is related to but is not a precise measure of the final price of a product, or the price it can be sold without incurring in a loss! Yes, you can make estimations about the BOM costs, or in this case a part of the BOM cost. But that's it, it does not represent the direct cost of manufacturing. Labour, binning and fixed costs may easily represent a cost higher than the material.

Last edited:

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Straying a wee bit off topic here for a GPU thread?

tumblr_ohsj6v3Zp21r115hxo2_250.gif

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
People were using a video giving a correct data (the estimation of die costs for an AMD CPU) presented in a largely incorrect way (as the cost of the manufacture of a AMD CPU) for estimating what a AMD GPU should cost to the final user.
As one of my tasks for more than 15 years was about production costs accounting, am I allowed to say that this is, at least, not the correct way of estimating a GPU cost in a GPU thread? Thanks.

phoenix21

Apr 6, 2024
People were using a video giving a correct data (the estimation of die costs for an AMD CPU) presented in a largely incorrect way (as the cost of the manufacture of a AMD CPU) for estimating what a AMD GPU should cost to the final user.
I think there is misunderstanding, I agree the video doesn't have full BOM of product but I was specifically talking about 6nm IO die cost and trying to make a point that a similarly sized 4nm N44 doesn't significantly increase the die cost, infact it is about the same as similarly spec 204mm² N33. But Rx 7600 MSRP does include costs of other parts, R&d etc, and the inflation in those parts is not that much and can be easily managed under $270-$300 gap.
If a 122mm² 6nm io die cost just $21 to manufacture and even if 4nm wafer price is 75% more than 6nm, a ~130mm² 4nm die would only cost ~$40. That's very similar cost to a 204mm² 6nm N33.

Now N44 with half the CU of N48, with slightly higher clocks can be over 33% faster than RX 7600 yet 19% slower than RX 7700XT, any MSRP between $270-$300 is acceptable.
The point is for ISO specs(μarch), the cost of more advanced node chip always lower than less advanced node, that's why they keep improving fabrication, to keep their business model running. Otherwise they will not only lose to competition, but also themselves with their last gen products.
I just noticed RX7700 XT has already dropped to $360 on Newegg. And N44 will be 15% slower than that at best.
Well I respect your 15 year service and you are more than welcome to share your thoughts.

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
I think there is misunderstanding, I agree the video doesn't have full BOM of product but I was specifically talking about 6nm IO die cost and trying to make a point that a similarly sized 4nm N44 doesn't significantly increase the die cost, infact it is about the same as similarly spec 204mm² N33. But Rx 7600 MSRP does include costs of other parts, R&d etc, and the inflation in those parts is not that much and can be easily managed under $270-$300 gap.
OK, I understand your reasoning, the point is that as told raw die cost is only one part of the costs, and in this case the part of the total cost of the VGA board is even smaller, and we have one problem more adding to the costs: the OEM.
The supply chain for the CPU, if bought on the market and not in a complete SKU from a OEM, is AMD->Reseller->Dealer-> user, every one of these steps adds to the cost because every one of these subjects has a margin (they need money to continue to operate). Sometimes the chain lenght is shorter, very often it is longer.
In the case of the GPU, we have AMD->OEM->Reseller->Dealer->user, so an higher cost to market respect to the CPU case.
In the case of a VGA board, we have a lot of components to be added to the GPU, especially the RAM, the cooler (can be very sensitive to raw metals price) and so on and so on.
And, from my experience, the cost of the labour, depreciation, R&D, and so on, adds a lot to the cost of the materials. I work in a power semiconductor company, where the power modules we produce are relatively simple compared to VGA, and even with highly automated production lines and high material cost (Silicon Carbide dies) the labour/depreciation/overhead easily represents half of the direct cost of production. Let's add that, to have a profit, you should add a margin higher than the indirect costs of production...
The point is for ISO specs(μarch), the cost of more advanced node chip always lower than less advanced node, that's why they keep improving fabrication, to keep their business model running. Otherwise they will not only lose to competition, but also themselves with their last gen products.
I just noticed RX7700 XT has already dropped to $360 on Newegg. And N44 will be 15% slower than that at best.
Well I respect your 15 year service and you are more than welcome to share your thoughts.
This was true some years ago, lately unfortunately the $/transistor ratio is not really so favorable with the latest technologies, at least until the machinery is depreciated and R&D expenses are amortised (it takes years, unfortunately).That only to say that AMD's focus in improving PPA has a reason to exist outside the competition with Nvidia. So why there is the need to push for improved processes, even when the costs will not go down (per transistor)? Well, simply because you can pack more transistors and have better performances, so CPU/GPU makers can create the need for new products and keep the market going.
My opinion in RDNA4 will take form when the first reviews will come out, at that point one can evaluate if such a GPU will satisfy his needs or not.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
seems going off from shelves before RDNA4. We don't know about cutdown N48 perfomance.

Based off recent product generations, I can't see them doing more than a 10% cut. If there's anything binned more heavily than that, it will likely only sold in overseas markets or only to OEMs.

The cutdown N48 die should be nearly as good as the full die.

SolidQ

Jul 13, 2023
Last edited:

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Interesting that's true RDNA4 for SteamDeck 2?
There is a rumour that RDNA 4 will only be in the field for a year. Its a stop gap. Which seems to suggest that RDNA 5 would be available for the steamdeck 2 in that time frame... if Valve is willing to pay for it ofcause. RDNA 4 could be good enough and cheap enough.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Also ye, there's a fair number of published papers on gfx there.

Not nearly so many as nVidia, but then they don't have the money to go nearly so far, not to mention that they haven't had nearly so long back in profitability to build bridges with academia in the gfx/light transport field of study.

Mahboi

Apr 4, 2024
The ambition just keeps digging deeper into the cave of Nothing.
240mm² biggest die, GDDR6 when 7 is available, 18Gbps, and still around $500 because AMD under Lisa wants margins above anything else.
The most sleep-inducing product. I'm so unhyped.

Aug 4, 2023
The ambition just keeps digging deeper into the cave of Nothing.
240mm² biggest die, GDDR6 when 7 is available, 18Gbps, and still around $500 because AMD under Lisa wants margins above anything else.
The most sleep-inducing product. I'm so unhyped.
The gold standard for a new generation historically was 30% perf/$ improvement for mainstream parts. AMD will price to achieve this at a minimum.

Mahboi

Apr 4, 2024
The gold standard for a new generation historically was 30% perf/$ improvement for mainstream parts. AMD will price to achieve this at a minimum.
N48 (whether it's called 8800xt or 8700xt) should have roughly 7% better raster perf than 7900 xt ($800) and about a 4070 TI's RT (also $800).
That takes us to $500. $560 even.
So it will be an arch that fixes RDNA 3 and gets us a BVH walker and a bunch of goodies. It will still produce a thoroughly sleep inducing product that competes with the last gen.
I'm not saying it's a bad product, I'm saying the hype is negative.

Aug 4, 2023
N48 (whether it's called 8800xt or 8700xt) should have roughly 7% better raster perf than 7900 xt ($800) and about a 4070 TI's RT (also $800).
That takes us to $500. $560 even.
So it will be an arch that fixes RDNA 3 and gets us a BVH walker and a bunch of goodies. It will still produce a thoroughly sleep inducing product that competes with the last gen.
I'm not saying it's a bad product, I'm saying the hype is negative.
For a PPA connoisseur like myself I think it is kinda neato.
Gaming segment revenue needs an injection due to consoles sales dropping off a cliff, this does the trick and should increase margins overall, naturally this means a market share gain back to old historical levels to set the foundation for the big boy generation after.