Problem with fireplace

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Now that I got the chimney and siding of the house fixed, wife discovered problem with the fireplace. (Its one thing after another.. )
PXL_20231129_220031237.jpg
PXL_20231129_220020752.jpg

The mantels are separating from the wall. I am sure this is not normal. I don't see any screw or anything to hold them mantels in place. what might caused this? The wall looks fine. And the mantels are not made of wood, so they don't bend.

Wife doesn't wants me to push or pull it, afraid i will damage it further..

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Clearly something is moving, the trick is to figure out what. Is the mantel piece bowing from heat? Is the fireplace settling? Is there a header in the wall behind the mantel that could be bowing?

Btw. What you're calling a mantel I would call a surround or trim.

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Ah thank you Greenman.

We have actually never used the fireplace since we moved in 8 years ago. So there shouldn't be any heat issue.

The house was built in 2004, the fireplace should have been settled long time ago.

There is nothing behinde any of the pieces, just the wall. It look slike three pieces of stone slap onto the wall above the firebox/hearth.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Clearly something is moving, the trick is to figure out what. Is the mantel piece bowing from heat? Is the fireplace settling? Is there a header in the wall behind the mantel that could be bowing?

Btw. What you're calling a mantel I would call a surround or trim.

Run a 4' level or long straight-edge along the wall to check for bowing.

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Just checked and the wall is fine. No tilt or bow. It seems to be just the trim separating from the wall.

While running a stright edge, i also ran it behind the trims and there seem to be something connecting the pieces to the wall. But I couldn't see any backplate unless i pull them out.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
It looks like the trim around the fireplace was just adhered to the drywall using some type of mortar and now it's starting to pull away.

I'm not recommending this but a quick way of getting it back in place might be to use a construction adhesive that is safe for drywall and then use a caulk gun to apply the adhesive behind the trim. Once that is done use pressure to push the trim back against the drywall until the adhesive sets.

I doubt this will work especially long term but........you won't be out much money if you try it.

Last edited:

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Hmm, i migh try bbhaag 's advice. Now that the kid will be heading to college in a year, that quick fix might do it before we sell the house and downside..

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Is that a zero clearance gas insert? That looks like synthetic stucco which would be applied over wood or styrofoam
( styrofoam shouldnt be used indoors). Should be easy to remove and reattach with whatever they used in the first place.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Hmm, i migh try bbhaag 's advice. Now that the kid will be heading to college in a year, that quick fix might do it before we sell the house and downside..
Yeah why not at least try it right? At most you're gonna be out $5 for the gun and then $5-7 for the adhesive. The hardest part is going to be figuring out a way to apply pressure to the trim while the adhesive sets but that won't cost much if anything.

Reactions: nisryus