Pixel 8?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
...don't know what prices will be after Christmas but right now google is selling the P8 for 549 minus 250 for my P6 trade. Decent deal for a high end phone but I might end up getting a S23 since the modem is supposed to be much better and I live in a cell phone black hole. With my P6 I have to use wifi calling since the signal is so weak at my house. My friends iphone is better but still not great.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
...don't know what prices will be after Christmas but right now google is selling the P8 for 549 minus 250 for my P6 trade. Decent deal for a high end phone but I might end up getting a S23 since the modem is supposed to be much better and I live in a cell phone black hole. With my P6 I have to use wifi calling since the signal is so weak at my house. My friends iphone is better but still not great.
the 8 pro has been phenomenal. best phone and battery life I've used.

i had the 7 pro this August in Montana, and was with family. we are all on the same T-Mo family plan. My 7 pro and my sisters S22 had signal while my brother in laws new iPhone did not at a couple locations. try the 8 for a week and return it to google if it's not good enough.

Reactions: spdfreak

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Video Boost has arrived for the 8 pros only so far. It's pretty nifty. Right now they are rolling it out slowly as they build up capacity. Ten minute video limit, you must turn the video boost feature on before any video you want it used on.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Video Boost has arrived for the 8 pros only so far. It's pretty nifty. Right now they are rolling it out slowly as they build up capacity. Ten minute video limit, you must turn the video boost feature on before any video you want it used on.

Updating mine now, thanks!

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Updating mine now, thanks!
Even after you update to the December Feature drop, video boost may not show up right away. It took about 5 days to show up on mine. Other people have said the same. Some get it right away, some it takes a day or a few days. It's a staggered rollout by Google.

That video above really shows what it can do with lowlight videos.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Even after you update to the December Feature drop, video boost may not show up right away. It took about 5 days to show up on mine. Other people have said the same. Some get it right away, some it takes a day or a few days. It's a staggered rollout by Google.

That video above really shows what it can do with lowlight videos.
So the update tells me about the feature and how to enable it yet the setting isn't there.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Apparently there are new drivers for the GPU and gaming performance exploded. 8 don't game on my phone, but a ton of have posted massive fps gains in games, including the most demanding ones

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
My 6 just got updated... wonder what, if anything the camera update did. I'll poke around.

edit- bunch of new options incl raw, palm timer, rich color, etc. nice.

Last edited:

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Google sent me another 100.00 coupon code so I can get the 8 for 200.00 trading in the 6. I'm actually fine with the 6 but I will probably do it since next year the trade value will be next to nothing. Maybe switch from T-mo to Mint's 15/mo plan since I use virtually no data due to being on wifi all the time.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Google sent me another 100.00 coupon code so I can get the 8 for 200.00 trading in the 6. I'm actually fine with the 6 but I will probably do it since next year the trade value will be next to nothing. Maybe switch from T-mo to Mint's 15/mo plan since I use virtually no data due to being on wifi all the time.
I would do it.

The 6 was one of the bottom pixels. The 8 is their best. The 9 is going to be iterative still on Samsung silicon, because the 10 will be a big upgrade, they are moving to a new TSMC fab process away from Samsung.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
I would do it.

The 6 was one of the bottom pixels. The 8 is their best. The 9 is going to be iterative still on Samsung silicon, because the 10 will be a big upgrade, they are moving to a new TSMC fab process away from Samsung.
All the deals and coupons have expired and even doing an upgrade through T-mo it would now cost me 500ish. So, not doing anything until the 9 comes out unless there is another really good deal. My only complaint with the 6 is the weak reception where I live- but that may be towers since a friend who has verizon and an iphone 14 has crappy reception at my house. I still get almost 2 days on a charge so no complaints there. Photos are great and I don't think the AI stuff makes much difference yet. The call transcribing works well but I haven't tried any of the photo tricks that supposedly came with the last camera update.

Feb 15, 2024
All the deals and coupons have expired and even doing an upgrade through T-mo it would now cost me 500ish. So, not doing anything until the 9 comes out unless there is another really good deal. My only complaint with the 6 is the weak reception where I live- but that may be towers since a friend who has verizon and an iphone 14 has crappy reception at my house. I still get almost 2 days on a charge so no complaints there. Photos are great and I don't think the AI stuff makes much difference yet. The call transcribing works well but I haven't tried any of the photo tricks that supposedly came with the last camera update.
I would buy it now, because I am not sure that the 9 will be much better, on the other hand I have big expectations about the 10, so it would be better to buy now the 8 hold it till 10 comes out and after that to decide whether it's worth to change or not.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Looks like the Pixel Watch 3 will be fixing mine and many others biggest complaint, only being available in 41mm size. There will now be a 45mm size.

I'll be picking that up, really like the Watch 2, skipped the first gen due to it not having good enough specs.

Will likely skip the Pixel 9 series, or at least there is a decent chance I will, more so than the last few years. The 8 pro is just really good.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Looks like the Pixel Watch 3 will be fixing mine and many others biggest complaint, only being available in 41mm size. There will now be a 45mm size.

I'll be picking that up, really like the Watch 2, skipped the first gen due to it not having good enough specs.

Will likely skip the Pixel 9 series, or at least there is a decent chance I will, more so than the last few years. The 8 pro is just really good.

You have any problems with reception? The 6 and 7 were notorious for their crappy modem and poor reception. I have to be on wifi at my house and several other places where other people seem to have at least decent signal strength.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You have any problems with reception? The 6 and 7 were notorious for their crappy modem and poor reception. I have to be on wifi at my house and several other places where other people seem to have at least decent signal strength.
For me on T-Mobile reception has been solid. That is also carrier dependent and location dependent so not sure how you would be.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Looks like the latest feature drop has given the P6 the ability to do the circle to search feature. Pretty nice that Google is still giving the latest stuff to the older phones.