Discussion ***Official*** 2024 Stock Market Thread 💰

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Getting closer to being able to get into index funds. So Wealthsimple was not so simple... my bank account doesn't show up in their list and there's no way to enter the info manually, and Wealthsimple does not show up in my bank in order to send money that way. Their support is a chat bot and I was getting no where. Lot of features also appear to be restricted to only their app as well so that does not bode well. So I cancelled that account and opened one with Questrade. Unfortunately their site only works in Chrome and not Firefox so that's kind of a pain but supposedly they are working on fixing that. My bank was not listed with them either but they are listed in my bank's bill payee list so was able to send money that way. Just sent $100 as a test.

I searched for some stock quotes and I'm finding the one I need such as VUN so this is a good sign. Was not finding these on the broker site I am already setup with.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Fisker listed under FSRN in OTC Markets. Currently trading at 3 cents. Good buy?
9 cents now. The answer was yes.

edit: lol, never mind. That’s the old ticker! 2.2 something cents in reality so the answer so far was no.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Sooo many of the stocks I brought long, long ago hit the pink sheets like a c-list actor hitting the skids. Ahhh, the mammaries.

Anyhow, DJT is a fun stock to put on your watch list. 10% of the outstanding shares trade everyday - on average and it's got a beta of 6.3.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The rate cut story reminds me of parents who want to keep their kids quiet while they are going somewhere.

"If you kids behave you can have some ice cream." Suddenly everyone behaves thinking of the delicious ice cream.

So long as inflation stabilizes you can have rate cuts.

To me this is just another form of manipulation so people who are long gazillions in bonds don't panic and start dumping them, driving up rates (ie true price discovery). Nobody is allowed to lose in the bond market, otherwise you get another Silicon Valley Bank or Signature Bank.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Once again, I'm reminded of how much it would suck having to write on-the-fly headlines for the financial news.

"Dow Jones Futures Rise After 'Good' Inflation Data"
<Dow drop 170 points on open>
"Dow Futures Waver to Start Second Quarter"
<Dow keeps dropping>
"Nasdaq, S&P, Dow trade mixed after Friday's in-line inflation data"
<Dow keeps dropping>
"Dow struggles for direction as market kicks off second quarter"
<Dow keeps dropping>
…

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Once again, I'm reminded of how much it would suck having to write on-the-fly headlines for the financial news.

<Dow keeps dropping>
<Dow keeps dropping>
<Dow keeps dropping>
…
It's an April fools joke.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<Dow keeps dropping>
<Dow keeps dropping>
<Dow keeps dropping>
…
A lot of those are auto generated. Not 100% though. They sometimes get some human eyes on them and add filler.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I am contemplating putting down a dime on Intel and TSMC for a long run. They seem to be the future producers of AI transistors for the coming decade and they're likely not able to keep up with demand.
Especially Intel with the new chips act... it's going to be producing AI chips non stop.

Thoughts?
Don't forget ASML, they are the ones who sell equipment to the foundries.

Reactions: cytg111

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
AI is basically the dotcom bubble, crypto hype and Tulip Mania all wrapped into one. If you're asking about "Investing" into it now, you are already too late.

Plus you have the added threat of the China invasion of Taiwan. But who knows when that will happen.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
AI is basically the dotcom bubble, crypto hype and Tulip Mania all wrapped into one. If you're asking about "Investing" into it now, you are already too late.

Plus you have the added threat of the China invasion of Taiwan. But who knows when that will happen.
I don't think China wants to start World War III.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
DJT to the moon.

Ha, JK

I've been waiting for oil to drop so I can fill my tank and the market keeps telling me to Elon (i.e., go f*** myself).

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Is something afloat, or is today just more noise/overdue corrections? My senses say that the market is finally making a shift, but my crystal ball is out for repairs.

* Major US markets opened down 1% or more.
* Bond yields are spiking.
* Oil and gold up 1% to 1.5%.
* Crypto down ~7%.
* Meme stocks plummeting.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Is something afloat, or is today just more noise/overdue corrections? My senses say that the market is finally making a shift, but my crystal ball is out for repairs.

* Major US markets opened down 1% or more.
* Bond yields are spiking.
* Oil and gold up 1% to 1.5%.
* Crypto down ~7%.
* Meme stocks plummeting.
Profit taking in the new quarter?

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Maybe people need to pay the tax man. I was thinking about selling some stock instead of bonds or cash to make him happy this year given the recent large gains

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Whoa. Somebody just bumped DJT up 5 points.

It's good that bond yields are rising. I don't think it's a response to inflation fears. My personal opinion is that it mostly reflects a higher level of economic activity.

The fed isn't tightening AFAIK. So the demand for the existing liquidity must be increasing. That weeds out low performing investments and helps create a healthier economy.

That's one of the reasons I like high yield paper. It doesn't respond much to interest rates since it moves more in response to the value of the underlying asset.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Taiwan hit with an earthquake, might see some movement in semis though the quake was centered on the eastern side, which is less populated going by the map.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What's with the spike at 10 AM. Is it the ADP data? Higher employment with higher wages doesn't sound like rate cutty type of information.