NOTICE - PC builders, when asking for input on YOUR projects Please Tell us...

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
PLEASE when you POST threads asking for input on system builds tell us...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?

At the end of the day it's your money. There's only so much we can do. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken g6

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
I tried this a few weeks ago, it should be stickied, but yeah, this happens so often it does get annoying at times.

Boobs McGee

Feb 6, 2006
Maybe there should be a stickied thread that is an outline/questionaire that folks could fill in that would provide the necessary info. Maybe something like they use over at notebookreview LINK

Make sure what Blain listed above is included, and maybe a few more things, like what accessories, parts, and/or peripheral parts do you already have/wish to reuse.

bendixG15

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
It does get very frustrating when it takes 10 posts to get the pertinent info out of the guy.

Sometimes I think they just want to chat about their dream "build" and have no money to buy the parts.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bendixG15
It does get very frustrating when it takes 10 posts to get the pertinent info out of the guy.

Sometimes I think they just want to chat about their dream "build" and have no money to buy the parts.
Amen Brother! You hit two nails on their heads! :thumbsup::laugh:

Could my poll be flawed... Nobody wants to do any coddling? :shocked:

RedCOMET

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Blain
Originally posted by: bendixG15

Amen Brother! You hit two nails on their heads! :thumbsup::laugh:

Could my poll be flawed... Nobody wants to do any coddling? :shocked:

You got your vote for coddling.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
We could definately use a sticky with your guidelines (rules?) plus a fifth, we also need to know what parts they're reusing.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
You should have a poll entry for "Told to go away until they are old enough to actually buy the parts."

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm not sure any of your choices are really suitable. What irritates me is the extremely easy to find answers to questions that get asked over and over. The web is a valuable tool for doing research on your own. Hell, just reading these forums for a week or 2 should get you pretty close to what your build will be. There's always room for final tweaking, but it should be on the finer points of a build. Eg 320mb or 640mb gfx ram, e6400 or e6600 for overclocking, things like that. You should have your build down to a choice of 2 components for everything, then ask the questions to tweak it further.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
5 & 6 added. ;)
And 7...

Are you really adding choices? I'm not seeing anything new :confused:

Edit:
Doh!! I forgot to re-read your original post :eek: I see them now :thumbsup:

oynaz

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
"IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads"

Well, searching is hopeless on this forum. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Maybe the AT forums should add yet another...
"Advise/Rate my build" forum :thumbsup::laugh:

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Markbnj
You should have a poll entry for "Told to go away until they are old enough to actually buy the parts."

Completely agree. It really annoys me to see these kinds of "I have no money, but let me fantasize!" threads mucking up the boards, especially when there are legitimate posts that deserve answers getting knocked down by them. You shouldn't be putting up build threads until you've got the cash ready at hand, or are within two weeks of having it. Anything further off, and you'll need to redo the build to account for new stuff coming out.

Having a separate forum just for builds is a fantastic idea. Might make GH more usable.

crimson117

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: erwos
Originally posted by: Markbnj

Completely agree. It really annoys me to see these kinds of "I have no money, but let me fantasize!" threads mucking up the boards, especially when there are legitimate posts that deserve answers getting knocked down by them. You shouldn't be putting up build threads until you've got the cash ready at hand, or are within two weeks of having it. Anything further off, and you'll need to redo the build to account for new stuff coming out.

Having a separate forum just for builds is a fantastic idea. Might make GH more usable.

I think Dream Rigs threads are fun. Anandtech even make Dream PC builders guides now and then, where they go all out, even though hardly anyone would ever build such an expensive PC.

As long as the poster mentions the parts-picking is just for fun, or just for a dream rig, I don't have any problem. Nor do I think it mucks up the forums.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: crimson117
I think Dream Rigs threads are fun.

As long as the poster mentions the parts-picking is just for fun, or just for a dream rig, I don't have any problem. Nor do I think it mucks up the forums.
You don't think there's any "mucking up" going on when they constitute 1/3 of the total threads in a forum?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
whole lotta muck
Plus, if it's parts picking just for fun, not purchase, what does it even matter if their imaginary system has an imaginary problem from picking the wrong imaginary part?

bendixG15

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by: SonicIce
hi my friend wants to know what parts to buy for his pc plz help
---------------------------------------
You don't have any friends :(

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: crimson117
I think Dream Rigs threads are fun.

You don't think there's any "mucking up" going on when they constitute 1/3 of the total threads in a forum?

mucking up?

okey i the parts i recomend to people who ask overclocking in there objectives are solid overclockers.

Its not my fault if the nicer stuff have more stability behind it. I dont think a computer is something cheap you slap together. If it was you'd buy a Dell.

Now when a person asks for a custom advice, and i see the words overclocking. I try to piece out the most stable parts i have had contact with. Sometimes those parts maybe a little bit pricey, but there known stability.

Why do you think people spend more money on server parts then desktop parts? The stability behind them means a lot.

So my recient recomendations for high end computers which usually involves a DQ6, Crucial ram, and a big psu. Thats the generic combo i use on my rigs when stability matters.

If you guys never folded or WCG'd b4, i recomend you try it out for a month and see how long your parts last. As for me, my combinations are all solid and can hold folding or WCG for months without a hic up.

Lastly, i think the corsair psu is a great psu. A lot of people have been flaming me because i recomend the Antec Quattro 850. They say its overkill and what not. But, if you read the reviews on the 850, the stability thoughout the rails was enough for jonnyguru to even be suprised. This was the main sell point on the psu for me.

Its not to overpower my rig, but its ment for rock solid stability at overclock settings.

So if a person has the budget, and they want to spend a bit more for stability as insurence, whats wrong with that?