NEW: List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
Well, busy kitchens.
The nearest cafeteria for miles near my room has 4 or 5 people working. I try to avoid sugar so I ask to get fresh juice or tea without added sugar. The cashier takes the money from me and then yells, tea no sugar! Two or three minutes pass. Then someone inside yells, tea, right? The cashier yells again, no sugar in tea! Another voice shouts from inside the kitchen, that's tea WITHOUT sugar, right???? Cashier yells back, yes! Without sugar. Tea!

And this happens EVERY single time! Once they made my mango juice without sugar and just put it somewhere in the kitchen and forgot. 15 minutes pass and I'm like, it's not ready yet? (I had already heard the blender noise like 8 minutes ago). They wake up and go, oh sorry boss! It's ready! Ready! Here you go! Sorry, ha? So sorry!

I try my best to avoid going there but sometimes, I don't have a choice.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
so the last Shogun ended with a bang. That was unexpected because of what had just happened ten minutes earlier in the show. Ready for what has to be an epic finale. It's got a lot to live up to with this slow burn - which I love, as it is really in depth, but the end has to payoff still.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
someone uploaded an upscaled version of Dogma in 4k

and ofc i fucking watched it. TWICE.

what a fucking amazing film. i cried.

9/10

Reactions: mikeymikec
Jul 27, 2020
someone uploaded an upscaled version of Dogma in 4k

and ofc i fucking watched it. TWICE.

what a fucking amazing film. i cried.

9/10
I hope I cry too. But I'll probably just try to understand WHY you care so much about this movie and probably fail at that :)

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
by the way, i also watched the latest episode of Shogun. And when John Blackthorne FINALLY hit on the hot chick and kissed, her, i fucking howled like a wolf.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i tell you what needs to happen.
John Blackthorne comes face to face with Toranaga.
he slaps him in teh faec.
in broken Japanese he says
"Mariko
murdered by
Ishido"
"i DEMAND Ishido's head"
Toranaga says HAI!
John rides his new fleet of european ships and cannons the fuck out of Ishido.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Oppenheimer (2023)

I think from this point on I am going to make subtitles a requirement for any Nolan movie newer than DKR. I'm wondering how much dialogue I missed in the cinema yesterday, at times it was like 50% but by the end I'd say it was "only" about 33%.

Interesting film though. When we left the cinema, I said to my wife that RDJ would get an Oscar for his role. She responded by pointing out that the Oscars have already been awarded for that film, we checked later and sure enough...

Why on earth they felt the need to have music in the background of almost every line of dialogue was quite irritating though, as well as the moments at the start of the film that are no doubt meant to indicate the amazing thoughts flying around in Oppenheimer's head.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thump553
Jul 27, 2020
Why on earth they felt the need to have music in the background of almost every line of dialogue was quite irritating
Maybe Nolan has a hearing problem? He did the same with Interstellar and when people complained, he said that's how it was meant to be (background music/sound effects drowning out dialogue) but I got the Bluray for that movie and the loudness issue was fixed in that. My guess is that he likes to overwhelm cinema audiences with sound when he thinks it's pretty good.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Fallout is excellent. I feel like I could do without some of the gore. But the world-building and characterization of the world (from what I know of the fallout series, not having played the video games) is on point.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched a whole bunch of reviews of both the 1980 Shogun, and the book Shogun, on Youtube. Some were book / show comparisons, some were on the book / show only.
While i wait for the last episode, i think i can already speculate what will be in it, and it won't be what we expect. But i think we are probably getting the best version out of the 3, book / 1980 / 2024.

I watched also the Extended edition of American Gangster, which adds 4 scenes; two with Bumpy Johnson, the "mentor" of Frank Lucas, which gives a bit more depth to Frank's decisions, another with Richie taking out a property where to install his anti-narcotics operation, also showcasing a Chekov's Gun, and a final scene after Lucas is released from jail; this i found to be the best as i found the short "second ending" to be unsatisfying.

The ending goes as follows; Lucas is finally arrested, in the grand climax of the film, as he exits the church. Essentially the story is over, but these is a epilogue where Richie shows Frank that they both hate the same people, corrupt cops. Because of this Frank decides to collaborate and they, well essentially arrest *all* of NYC.
Frank has to give up his money, but will get a reduced sentence. In the original cut, there is just a scene where Frank is let out of jail (looks more like a garage, but what do i know) and then loud 90s music starts playing - supposedly to mean that Frank is now in a world he doesn't understand, because so much time has passed; however this is the end credits music, so it's easier to think "oh wow what shit end credit music they used" and to miss this point.
Instead the new ending has Richie accompany him on a short stroll, where they find themselves in the same spot where Bumpy died at the start of the film, Frank is now an old man, and is in the same position as Bumpy, incredulous at this world which is now so different than the one he knew.

absolutely fantastic film, 9/10. Both Denzel Washington and Russel Crowe's best film. Yes, now fuck off with your Gladiator and Master & Commander.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Fallout is excellent. I feel like I could do without some of the gore. But the world-building and characterization of the world (from what I know of the fallout series, not having played the video games) is on point.
same boat. When watching it though I had no idea if they hit the nail on the head with the world-building, but it just felt amazing. I was in that world and having a blast. After reading actual fallout gamer reviews, seems they did hit the nail on the head.

double whammy, which is what you want.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched a boring film by Steven Sodeberg,

The Informant - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130080/reference/

starring Matt Damon as real-life Mark Whitacre, a executive from a food manufacturing company that got involved in a price-fixing scam in the 90s. The FBI gets Whitacre to cooperate, wear a wire, etc but he also goes half insane, both starting to see himself as a secret agent, but also at the same time embezzling a whole bunch of money from the company.

The protagonist is an extremely unlikable character; he gets progressively worse and worse, from being just a goofy "failing upwards" guy, to a moron, to a compulsive liar, to finally become completely delusional. And not only is the first third of the film straight and serious, but it is filmed as a comedy, with weird voiceovers that ... are supposed to be funny, when there is tragedy happening on screen, and occasionally the opposite, the film trying to be serious with this irredeemably idiotic protagonist slowly walking himself from whistleblower to jailbird.

Would not recommend. Nothing engaging in the story, even if well executed, idk the acting was decent, the costumes seemed a bit too 80s if not even 70s, the music was horrible.

5.2/10

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Yeah, they did a great job getting the Fallout "feel". So much so that I started playing Fallout 4 again, after not playing it for years. I recall doing all of the possible endings with each faction.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Perhaps a bit off topic for this thread but maybe not.

I watched and enjoyed season 1 of Invincible. I haven't gotten around to season 2 yet. Apparently season 3 is being surreptitiously animated by North Korea through Chinese front companies.

Link

Reactions: igor_kavinski

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched a very weird film starring Tilda Swinton,

Problemista - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15078804/reference/

directed by and co-starring Julio Torres, and you should never, ever ever ever have a lead also direct, that's the equivalent of not having a director.

.. don't know where to start.

Julio is a young southamerican in NYC that desperately needs money and a visa, and he resorts to work for absolutely maniacal Tilda. Tilda here plays an absolutely berserk art .. ermm .. person .. who is trying to get her late husband's paintings exposed / sold / etc. Think your typical NYC self-aggrandizing arthead.

Tilda is .. quite excellent as the absolutely rabid ultrakaren; if you're thinking anything near The Devil Wears Prada, you are off by miles in the screaming department. TDVP has arrogance, this film has *dumb* arrogance.

.. now, the film is little more than a Tilda tour de force for this character. Julio is .. okaish, as an actor, apparently he did well in SNL, but you can clearly see that grate against the movie-length format. After 40+ minutes, the film has run out of ideas on how to progress the ... ?plot?
Because the character of Tilda is the plot. the actual plot is just a framework for her to exist, and after three quarters of an hour, you start wish this very funny, if excessively over-the-top sketch, would get to a conclusion.

I mean, i liked it, or rather, i liked it more than i hated it, but it really needed a script rewrite and a proper director.
The RZA is also in the film as the late husband (funny because he is also in American Gangster, which i watched yday, and in not many other films).

I'd still recommend it, but i imagine you would probably give this a score anywhere between 5.5 and 7/10, depending on your expectations and your ... tolerance.

my vote: 6/10. Lots of good stuff in it, but in this case, the whole is less than the sum of its parts.

Jul 27, 2020
The RZA is also in the film as the late husband (funny because he is also in American Gangster, which i watched yday, and in not many other films).
That has happened to me quite a few times, where totally random choice of movies in a short period of time ends up having the same actor(s). It must be a sign from the Universe or something.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
a few days ago i watched again

Paycheck - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338337

this is the Ben Afflec I KNOW i know, he sucks. He was good in Dogma, though.
The Ben Afflec film where he plays a SciFi "spy" engineer, he goes get super-high-tech jobs, but as per his contract, he gets his memory wiped when he completes the job.
Superengineer Afflect gets a super-paying job, does it, WINS(tm) and when he goes to cash his Paycheck, he finds that he has no money wtfbbq?
This is because Ben Afflec from when he doesnt remember has sent him Secret Messages in the future, leading him to chase The Money with just a hunch.

.. it's a really fucking great story. The plot is great Sci Fi and the script around it is decent, he does a decent job too as an actor (i know, right?) and yeah, it's got defects, but it's not really much worse in that department than Total Recall, and i dare you to say shit about Total Recall. (the Schwartzenegger film, not the garbage Colin Farrel remake)

very watchable the first time, and .. yeah not so much after the first time. Because the "investigation" bit is the meat of the film, where the protagonist needs to figure out that his future self sent himself messanges, and what messages these are. Once you know this bit, it kinda spoils the fun.

Oh, Paul Giammatti is in this film?

7/10 for those who have never seen it before, and as low as 5/10 on repeat viewings.