New Fallout Series Coming to Prime Video

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Maybe so, but at some point the complaints about 'time insensitivity' is just complaints about side-questing and RPGs in general. Don't get me wrong, it's not very realistic, but I did appreciate Sephiroth waiting to try to end the world while I spent 6 months raising chocobos, delving for ancient materia, completing quest chains for optional characters, and mastering games at the fair.

-Fair, but then it's also easy to make the main plot a Mcguffin chase with a switch up half way through like the first two games.

In NV, you're looking for the man who shot you, so while there is a drive it doesn't have to be an all encompassing goal that prevents you from doing side stuff.

Not sure what possessed Bethsoft into going for a "find the family" angle two times in a row (and now a third in the show) but there can be some serious dissonance if your character is goofing off while your father/son are potentially off somewhere being tortured or mutated or something.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
-Fair, but then it's also easy to make the main plot a Mcguffin chase with a switch up half way through like the first two games.

In NV, you're looking for the man who shot you, so while there is a drive it doesn't have to be an all encompassing goal that prevents you from doing side stuff.

Not sure what possessed Bethsoft into going for a "find the family" angle two times in a row (and now a third in the show) but there can be some serious dissonance if your character is goofing off while your father/son are potentially off somewhere being tortured or mutated or something.
I just always assumed in those circumstances that the main character didn't really like the person(s) that much. My first time bringing back news of water to the shelter in FO1 I half hoped they were already dead on account of how much of a shit everyone was when I was leaving the first time. I'm still irritated they didn't let me perforate the remaining jerks after finishing the game.

In basically every ES and FO game, the main quest is the last thing I do anyhow. Great fun finally participating in the great Skyrim war after becoming a max-all-skills vampire lord or some crazy shit. Like 20 dudes in a minor skirmish, the sun blots out, everyone wearing a blue shirt turns inside out and all the blood flies to an invisible spot near a tree before a god exists a fourth dimension, thanks you for your assistance, then kills you and all your comrades with his fists.

• Haha
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Ok, watched episodes 3 & 4 and the show is back on track.

Ghoul and Lucy plotline is starting to show some fun characterization between the two (looks like it's going to be a deranged version of the "found family" trope).

The mystery of Vault 32 is sinking it's hooks in, and Norm MacLean is turning out to be an interesting character.

Maximus' plotline feels the weakest thus far. They seem to have started with a deeply flawed character but I'm not really seeing where he is going in a satisfying way. Also the power scaling with the Power Armor seems all over the place depending on what the plot is asking for.

If the show keeps this trajectory I'll probably end up liking it. Hopefully we don't have any more "episode 2s" in the remaining episodes.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Like a lot of people, I was really impressed with the show overall.

I'm a pretty casual FO fan (played FO3 & most of NV, only put 10ish hours into FO4) so I don't remember a lot of the specifics of the stories & timeline through the games. I thought they did an excellent job at maintaining the feel of the game. I think they made the right call not featuring too many mutants/animals in this season, as more CGI would have taken away from how well they made everything look & feel.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
  • PC Update:
    • Widescreen and ultra-widescreen support.
    • Fixes for the Creation Kit.
    • Various quest updates.
Looks like they got you homie.
Seems the update is a bit unstable for me. Looks nice when it works but the game hangs on starting sometimes or hangs on loading areas sometimes. Borderline unplayable.
I'll do some trouble shooting later and see if I can get it going.

• Wow
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ok, watched episodes 3 & 4 and the show is back on track.

Ghoul and Lucy plotline is starting to show some fun characterization between the two (looks like it's going to be a deranged version of the "found family" trope).

The mystery of Vault 32 is sinking it's hooks in, and Norm MacLean is turning out to be an interesting character.

Maximus' plotline feels the weakest thus far. They seem to have started with a deeply flawed character but I'm not really seeing where he is going in a satisfying way. Also the power scaling with the Power Armor seems all over the place depending on what the plot is asking for.

If the show keeps this trajectory I'll probably end up liking it. Hopefully we don't have any more "episode 2s" in the remaining episodes.
I think I'm done with 5 and about to start ep. 6...starting to get the impression that Maximus took the idiot savant perk.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I think I'm done with 5 and about to start ep. 6...starting to get the impression that Maximus took the idiot savant perk.
TBF he was taken in by a militaristic cult when he was about 6 or so after seeing his entire community burned.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Yeah ok the show was really good. You could quibble here or there but with the direction a lot of shows have taken *cough witcher* *cough halo* that was some pretty dang good weaving of easter eggs into a well above average story line

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Finished episodes 5/6/7.

Norm is quickly becoming my favorite character in the series. Maximus has some redeeming moments.

Aggravated that Bethsoft has decided to apparently end the NCR.

Show is solid nevertheless.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched it all during a marathon yday afternoon, ended at 2AM.

it was OKAY, but i wouldn't give it more than 7/10. Nowhere near Shogun, for example.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Aggravated that Bethsoft has decided to apparently end the NCR.

Show is solid nevertheless.

I think there's room for the NCR to still exist farther away from what we've been shown. I don't think it's a lot of room but it feels like there's still a chance

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I think there's room for the NCR to still exist farther away from what we've been shown. I don't think it's a lot of room but it feels like there's still a chance
I would never assume that any given individual in the wasteland has a real clue about what's going on outside their specific 'view'. Like every FO game is full of people who are 'sure' about shit that's so wrong, it may as well be a 'i hear there's a city with a cure for the zombies out west' level of trope.

NCR is probably fine and he probably only knew about that one town.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I get the impression Bethsoft is treating shady Sands as the NCR and the NCR as Shady Sands. In FO2 and FONV they were fairly ever present and generally everyone around was aware of them due to their heavy hand and presence.

I think there is this unfortunate need for Bethsoft that the Wasteland to remain this static thing with a bunch of small quirky townships, while the "Mainline" 1/2/NV clearly show a trajectory towards recivilization as the NCR can end up controlling all of California and parts of Nevada by the end.

The central conflict in NV was the NCR fighting the band of 80 tribes under Cesar's Legions, basically a proper post apocalyptic war.

Nuking Shady Sands was how they hit the reset button on wasteland civilization.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I get the impression Bethsoft is treating shady Sands as the NCR and the NCR as Shady Sands. In FO2 and FONV they were fairly ever present and generally everyone around was aware of them due to their heavy hand and presence.

I think there is this unfortunate need for Bethsoft that the Wasteland to remain this static thing with a bunch of small quirky townships, while the "Mainline" 1/2/NV clearly show a trajectory towards recivilization as the NCR can end up controlling all of California and parts of Nevada by the end.

The central conflict in NV was the NCR fighting the band of 80 tribes under Cesar's Legions, basically a proper post apocalyptic war.

Nuking Shady Sands was how they hit the reset button on wasteland civilization.
They could have always upset the narrative by introducing a new 'Master' or something.. some vault experiment gone awry, some militaristic vault opening up introducing a new threat to a tentative civilization, etc. Hell even an errant buried nuke is enough to basically throat-punch any would-be recivilization effort when your power structure is centralized. If it was their intent to recreate the mad max vibe they could have had a half-season dedicated to it.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
They could have always upset the narrative by introducing a new 'Master' or something.. some vault experiment gone awry, some militaristic vault opening up introducing a new threat to a tentative civilization, etc. Hell even an errant buried nuke is enough to basically throat-punch any would-be recivilization effort when your power structure is centralized. If it was their intent to recreate the mad max vibe they could have had a half-season dedicated to it.

-IMO they could have just set the series in New Mexico or Texas or something. Would have been a good chuckle if a city was built one the Trinity test site caus it was the least radioactive place around.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
-IMO they could have just set the series in New Mexico or Texas or something. Would have been a good chuckle if a city was built one the Trinity test site caus it was the least radioactive place around.
That's actually a very good point. Today's 'radiation hotspots' (trinity, chernobyl, etc) would have been uninhabited at the time so they would have been mostly unmolested by world powers when it comes to the bombs dropping. Great idea for a scifi book/setting aside.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Gotta play new vegas

speaking of...anyone playing this recently can recommend some of the current, essential mods to get this working properly? It's been years since I tried it, but I remember being a bit of a disaster without some essential fixes, QoL mods...

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
speaking of...anyone playing this recently can recommend some of the current, essential mods to get this working properly? It's been years since I tried it, but I remember being a bit of a disaster without some essential fixes, QoL mods...

-Odd, I played through NV fairly recently (3-4 years ago) totally vanilla, no mods, and the game ran fine and I beat it just fine on Windows 10.

Then again I've almost never had issues with vanilla "Bethsoft" games like everyone else seems to have.

Beat Skyrim vanilla as well as Fallout 4.

Fallout 3 needed the "remove GFWL integration" mod to launch, but nothing else, and I believe GFWL has been officially patched out by Bethsoft.

Feb 4, 2009
I think there is a HD mod, not sure where but I sort of remember it from last year.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
-Odd, I played through NV fairly recently (3-4 years ago) totally vanilla, no mods, and the game ran fine and I beat it just fine on Windows 10.

Then again I've almost never had issues with vanilla "Bethsoft" games like everyone else seems to have.

Beat Skyrim vanilla as well as Fallout 4.

Fallout 3 needed the "remove GFWL integration" mod to launch, but nothing else, and I believe GFWL has been officially patched out by Bethsoft.
OK, then. ...I think I was the same with NV, but recall a lot of crashing. That might be fixed with the 4GB memory mod, which I will definitely install, and maybe some texture stuff.

IIRc from years ago a bit of the map, I'm going to grab my BBgun from the starting shelter and go straight for that ~nearby Deathclaw and see if I can kill it.

• Haha

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
OK, then. ...I think I was the same with NV, but recall a lot of crashing. That might be fixed with the 4GB memory mod, which I will definitely install, and maybe some texture stuff.

IIRc from years ago a bit of the map, I'm going to grab my BBgun from the starting shelter and go straight for that ~nearby Deathclaw and see if I can kill it.
Haha you're mixing up games. FO3 gives you the starter red Ryder from pops, NV starts you just east of some fuck-off deathclaws.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Ok, wife and I wrapped up episode 8.

Fun. Although like everything nowadays the violence was a little much, there was a very solid plot here.

Despite being remarkably diverse and featuring a female lead and POC in lead roles the show has basically sailed above the whole "woke" nonsense because it's just really damn well written and wasn't afraid to put it's diverse cast in varying roles.

It's the kind of show where, as a fan, even the flaws are like salt (on the wounds) in that they enhance the overall experience.

I eagerly await season 2. However, my experience with all modern shows is that the first season tends to be the strongest with subsequent seasons seeing a steep decline in quality (it's like a loss leader, expected to build a fanbase that following seasons can bleed off with cost cutting).

Nolan's other show, Westworld, started with one of the most incredible first seasons ever, and decended into straight to video anime territory pretty fast with its plot.