Question New build around the Fractal Design Terra Mini ITX case

Nov 20, 2009
Specifically the Fractal Design FD-C-TER1N-03.

Recently I completed building a new system using what I considered to be near top of the line parts. While it was there I played around with running Linux Mint and VirtualBox. This new machine would be used almost exclusively has a LM Host for VirtualBox and within the VB app I would run any number of Microsoft Windows instances. I tried this already on my new gaming machine based on Asrock x670E Taichi and AMD Ryzen 9 7900X and it worked pretty dang good. I ran the virtual machines (both Windows 10 Pro and 11 Pro) at 1920x1080 and there was no perceived slowness or lag. I'm not sure what I would need for this new mini-ITX build but I would not be using this new PC for gaming. I'd like to stay with AMD, but I would not care to use Asrock again (going back to Gigabyte, or trying MSI/Asus). I'm just not sure what I could get away with for a Linux Mint box as a VirtualBox host server for Windows VMs.

So, keeping in mind the case in question--I know, who the eff builds a PC around a case? What AMD processor, what mini-ITX board, and what kind of video card should I be considering?

Dec 10, 2005
I'd start with PCPartPicker, if only to start building a compatibility list. GN did a review too, which could provide some guidance on part selection: https://gamersnexus.net/cases/fract...d-quality-thermals-acoustics-cable-management

I'd probably shoot for a SFX (not SFX-L) power supply and a B650 board.

Also, keep in mind the CPU cooler height limits and GPU width limits when selecting parts for this case:
  • CPU cooler max height
    48 mm (Configured for Max GPU) / 77 mm (Configured for Max CPU-Cooler)
  • GPU max width (if GPU height is lower than 131 mm)
    72 mm (Configured for Max GPU) / 43 mm (Configured for Max CPU-Cooler)