News New adware coming via Windows Update

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
And this is why I won't pay $100 for a Windows key. I will only pay $5 to $10 for keys to an OS that spies on its users, advertises to its users and forces a crappy app store on its users.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
This is concerning, but another good reason to avoid Windows 11 for as long as possible, possibly skipping it entirely for Windows 12 eventually. I figure most desktop enthusiasts still prefer Windows 10.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I stayed on XP until 7, and stayed on 7 until 10. I have no reason so far to switch to 11 yet, if I ever do.

That being said...if this change is being added to 11, it'll be part of 12 and ongoing as well. It will be possible to disable it in settings...for now. I'd expect that to become a mandatory service sooner or later.

Reactions: Rigg and pcgeek11

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Yeah, consider being able to disable it, a MS trial run for it being forced on you for Win12... because just like always before, the legions of shills will tell you that whatever MS does, it's important to update to latest windows because the sky is falling. Something something security. Meh, not for competent home users. Grandma on the other hand, Dell box w/Win12 all the way.

Last edited:

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I stayed on XP until 7, and stayed on 7 until 10. I have no reason so far to switch to 11 yet, if I ever do.

That being said...if this change is being added to 11, it'll be part of 12 and ongoing as well. It will be possible to disable it in settings...for now. I'd expect that to become a mandatory service sooner or later.
Then you just install a third party start menu to get around it.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Well that's a bummer. I wonder if "Classic Shell" is blocked? I know they stopped development in 2017, but I have continued to use it on several machines, and it still works fine.

Explorerpatcher would be an issue, as far as I know it's the only way to get a "Quick launch" bar on Win 11. A feature that should have never been removed from ANY version of Windows, but was easy to get back on 7 and 10.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Yes. But then you will suffer even more than on Windows.

That would be your opinion.
How would I suffer more? In the last 25 years Linux hasn't made me suffer at all.

I guess if you are resistant to learning new things and like to pay money to be abused by Microsoft.

To each his own. Enjoy you ad infected OS.

Last edited:

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Classic Shell has been superseded by Open Shell.
I am aware. Like I said, I still use Classic Shell, works fine. I was wondering if it's blocked on Win 11's new version.

I mainly run it as I have a saved config file, and don't need to run any type of setup. Unless Open Shell will accept a Classic Shell config file, I think it will, but never tried it.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
That would be your opinion.
How would I suffer more? In the last 25 years Linux hasn't made me suffer at all.

I guess if your are resistant to learning new things and like to pay money to be abused by Microsoft.

To each his own. Enjoy you ad infected OS.
I actually learned Linux, I used it for quite some time.

Still stands what I wrote.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Strange I can do everything in Mint Linux as I can with Windows. With the plus of I don't get any ads, I don't have to have a Microsoft Account and it is Free.

What do you have issues with in the software?

This is a good web site to find alternatives for your common Windows Software.

It's not about just finding some token gesture of a software that can do a task. It's about having an order of magnitude more choices on which software you use.

I don't want to find alternatives for the software I've become proficient at using for years. It's not just the learning curve for the OS but also the software, a LOT of software. I can't even count the number of times on windows, that I would try out some software, spend the time starting to learn it, then find there was some critical feature missing or that there was just no way to make the workflow fast enough so I had to abandon that software.

I'm very much a fan of the idea that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I will not be updating to Win11 any year soon.

Reactions: WilliamM2