Need recommendation on fixing headphones.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
anyone have a website or video ref for repairing a set of over the ear headphones? ifixit is kinda bad at separating its guides so most are for fixed wired headphone cable replacement, but i bought a set with 3.5 jack sockets so i could replace the cable/mic easily so the guides dont apply.

the right speaker was intermittently cutting out for a while and just gave up the ghost. i'm guessing work hardening of the wire connecting the two sides.

so i have taken it apart and there is a braided sleeved cable running through the topstrap. the wire is the super thin lacquer coated type. i cant find the order form in my records so i cant tell if it is outside the warranty period.

my questions are:
  • is there a simple replacement spool of wire/sleeve i can order off of amazon or find at a hardware store? or is there a hack to go to a better quality wire that will last longer(do i need to worry about matching impedence or will any multistrand AWG be fine?) looking for any recommendations please.
  • should i try to save the sleeve on the existing crossover wire vs just run any old wire, or is there significant em shielding on the sleeve?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Why not just desolder current cable, sand the ends a bit and resolder?

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Why not just desolder current cable, sand the ends a bit and resolder?
the issue doesnt seem to be on the ends, rather somewhere further in.

the end wires at the 3.5 jack board look fine and are flexible. the cable as it exits the housing to go thru the topstrap has multiple points where it bends and no amount of fiddling localizes the failpoint. the strain relief bushing seems ok so the problem could be the excess cable that allows you to change sizing or the somewhere in the topstrap where the spring tensioner/housing arms and the cable might have rubbed against each other.
the topstrap and spring are the weakpoint of the design. the whole thing is held together by the pleather cushion cover and some clear plastic sheeting for friction reduction on the metal parts sliding past each other. a solid housing would have avoided any issues.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Don't know if you got enough room

Go with smaller gauge (bigger number) if too thick. No need to worry about impedance for such short run.

Reactions: gorobei

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Don't know if you got enough room

Go with smaller gauge (bigger number) if too thick. No need to worry about impedance for such short run.
cool, thanks for the info.
it is pretty tight in there so i think i will need to go with 30awg
i'm assuming it is easier to get the 2p joined stuff through the path rather than try to get two single strands. i will try to use the existing cable to pull the new wire thru by cutting it and tying some dental floss to the ends.